Home U.S. Coin Forum

I found a 2004-P Iowa Quarter that’s SILVER?!? I thought the Silver was only minted in SF

Comments

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weigh it, it's not silver.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely weigh it.... sometimes the minting process will 'smear' the clad material over the internal copper.
    Cheers, RickO

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you drop it, does it have a higher pitched ring than a clad quarter?

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut was plating, too.

• WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

5.74 grams

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Traditional 90% silver quarter is 6.25 grams.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen these before, most likely it's in the plating. But weigh it as mentioned above to be sure.

• WatchbelieveWatchbelieve Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Fred’s gotta be right. Thank you. I legitimately believe I will never find a true error in circulation. I’m like 0/100 on these. It’s always PMD or some sort of tv promo plating. BLAH.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were several telemarketers selling plated sets.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find....if authentic :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve said:
    I legitimately believe I will never find a true error in circulation.

You're right, so just give up. ;)

I don't know how you are searching, but unless you work at a convenience store or someplace similar you probably won't see enough coins to generate the necessary volume to increase your odds to the level they need to be.

Best bet is to buy boxes of cents and nickels. With cents, search for known doubled dies, and keep your eyes open for the one off errors like clips, plating errors, or something more extreme. With nickels you can focus on dramatic errors and the couple known DDs, and the occasional war nickel or buffalo nickel.

You can do dimes and quarters, of course, but that gets more expensive.

I have searched 10s of thousands of nickels and have found dozens of silver war nickels and buffalos, and less than a handful of extremely minor cuds and clips. But then I found a 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel, which makes up for a lifetime of roll searching.

Volume, and being able to recognize an error when you see it. That will put you in a good position to find something.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchbelieve said:
    Fred’s gotta be right. Thank you. I legitimately believe I will never find a true error in circulation. I’m like 0/100 on these. It’s always PMD or some sort of tv promo plating. BLAH.

They are there. Just have to recognize it when you see it... and have a few false hopes along the way!

----- kj
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

POssibly a wrong medal panchet from a foreign country or a silver proof 2003 blank that got mixed in with 2004 coins.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can find state quarters plated in just about EVERYTHING. Gold, silver, platinum. Even ruthenium and rhodium:

coinsofamerica.com/state-quarter-rhodium-cufflink/

We should send a few to Coinside7 so he can buy his meds.

@abcde12345 said:
    POssibly a wrong medal panchet from a foreign country or a silver proof 2003 blank that got mixed in with 2004 coins.

plated. read the other posts.

@CaptHenway said:
    There were several telemarketers selling plated sets.

By several, you mean a thousand, right?

By the way, that coin might have come from me. I dumped a bunch of silver, platinum and gold plated quarters into a coinstar. When it's only a random coin or even a complete set with a bad plating job, it's just not worth trying to sell them.

I do have a complete set of gold-plated quarters at the moment if you want to find a bunch of errors in your mail. :wink:

I legitimately believe I will never find a true error in circulation.

That's why most of us don't bother looking. You will almost never find a major error as they rarely get into circulation. You have to really love minor cuds or barely visible clips or grease-filled letters to even bother looking.

The kind of "errors" you might find are the ones that are very hard to see for a novice. Struck with proof dies, for example, where the only difference is letter thickness or something like that. And the type of minor errors you are likely to find have almost no retail value.

But, it is free to look and if you find it fun, go ahead.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    By the way, that coin might have come from me. I dumped a bunch of silver, platinum and gold plated quarters into a coinstar. When it's only a random coin or even a complete set with a bad plating job, it's just not worth trying to sell them.

I do have a complete set of gold-plated quarters at the moment if you want to find a bunch of errors in your mail. :wink:

When we bought them in at the coin shop we paid face value and gave them out in the cash register.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume that most major errors these days are discovered at the huge coin processors who get the huge containers of coins mint. As I understand it, they agree to return any error they find to the mint, but I doubt that happens.

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Before you get excited and think just because it's plated in 'platinum' it has value, the platinum is "microns" thick and only worth a few cents.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found some pretty impressive errors over the years including a couple with quite a bit of wear. f course now that the counting houses are removing errors and returning them to the mint and people are watching their change more closely these are getting harder and harder to find.

Until the end of the last century it seemed no one ever even glanced at their change.

Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been reported that the outfits that plated these quarters often wouldn't even spring for a few cents worth of platinum for their "platinum plated coins". So this could be "platinum" plated instead of silver or platinum plated.

In any case it's not worth the time and effort to determine its nature because it will be plated almost certainly.

Tempus fugit.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@abcde12345 said:

plated. read the other posts.

Why is somebody plating wrong planchet coins?

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 12:50PM

Where is Occam's Razor when we need it? oh here it is,

Occam's Razor

When we are faced with more than one hypothesis that explains the data equally well, we choose the simpler explanation.

A hairy creature in the woods is more likely a bear than Bigfoot.

An unknown object in the sky is more likely a balloon than a flying saucer.

When you hear hoof beats, think of horses not zebras.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

RE: "A hairy creature in the woods is more likely a bear than Bigfoot."

Nope. "A hairy creature in the woods is more likely el presidente on his golf course than a bear."

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not funny.

@mr1874 said:
    Where is Occam's Razor when we need it? oh here it is,

Occam's Razor

When we are faced with more than one hypothesis that explains the data equally well, we choose the simpler explanation.

A hairy creature in the woods is more likely a bear than Bigfoot.

An unknown object in the sky is more likely a balloon than a flying saucer.

When you hear hoof beats, think of horses not zebras.

I live in a city, when I hear hoof beats I think of cloggers not horses. Although it is more likely that I'll hear Dr Dre's beats than hoof beats.

@REALGATOR said:
    Not funny.

Please remember that it is Democrats who lack a sense of humor. Republicans should feel free to laugh, even at one of their own. :wink:

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@REALGATOR said:
    Not funny.

Please remember that it is Democrats who lack a sense of humor. Republicans should feel free to laugh, even at one of their own. :wink:

Agreed, mostly.
    Now imagine if that same quip was made about the previous "presidente".

Since this is a coin forum, the OP is a plated piece worth twenty five cents that will be rejected by Coinstar.

@REALGATOR said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@REALGATOR said:
    Not funny.

Agreed, mostly.

Since this is a coin forum, the OP is a plated piece worth twenty five cents that will be rejected by Coinstar.

Funny you should mention the Coinstar. I have mixed results with plated coins in the Coinstar. I always use the same one, sometimes it takes them, sometimes it doesn't.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@REALGATOR said:
    Not funny.

Agreed, mostly.

Remember when the previous presidents handicap was classified? Even Michael Jordan called him a hack, even with all his practice.

The original quote might be funny so some, but after hearing about the White House Correspondents Dinner debacle last night, I am not in a "funny" mood today.

So I will simply mention that I silver plated dozens and dozens of state quarters back in the day - then spent them. They sure were purdy.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

I used to buy the $25 bags of quarters from the Mint. It was relatively common to find minor errors such as struck thru grease.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file