Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Baseball Card "Inventory Tracking"

I'm currently using excel in an attempt to "track my card inventory". There's got to be a better way so that I can track inventory, quantity, quality, and value. What would be considered some of the top "sites", software applications. I'm assuming the answer is going to be Beckett but since I've got Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Hockey.......let's just say I think they are expensive...but I also understand you may get what you pay for.

Sorry to bombard the forum with questions but hopefully it'll be fun for people to discuss. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excel is excellent. Even the most basic spreadsheet file can be used in conjunction with the Sort tool. Expand into putting some if/else formula conditions into some of your cells too if you like automatic color change or something like that for various line items. Learn the program and add more advanced macros/buttons onto your files. There are tons of options with excel. Automatically linking in ever-changing value might be harder however, since I don't know how you could take the completed sales results online and enter it into your file without relying on manual data entry.

For your graded items, the easiest and obvious recommendation is to make sure you've entered all your cert numbers into your registry and use the existing set registry software on the PSA website, which is fairly well done.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

What mlwlvrn said. I use Excel for the inventory list. I also use VCP but I also use that for quick value look-up so it doesn't easily and quickly tell me my collection value. I have to sort through my collection and manually exclude sets that are entered for price tracking purposes. The registry is also a good tool though I don't rely on that for value basis much as it's based on SMR values while VCP tracks actual sales history.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018 3:52PM

I recently went through an exercise to add the PSA Spec # to my spreadsheets and import them (CSV format) into the PSA Set Registry inventory. It doesn't track all of the items you want if the card's not one of theirs, but it saved me from typing thousands of names in... if you know the year, manufacturer, and card number, you can usually derive the PSA spec #, and the Set Registry inventory will populate the name for you. Note that my stuff is mostly '92 and earlier, so I don't know how well that would work for newer cards. Saved me hours of typing names in, so I was pretty happy with the results. Once they're in there, you can export to CSV which you could then use to populate the other info you want - but if you've already typed in the names then this probably doesn't help out at all :) Although it is convenient to be able to look up your inventory from the road...

Jim

• Options

I have the year, manufacturer and card number but not sure how to derive the spec number from this information? Let's use
    1971 Topps 156 as an example......Terry Bradshaw card

How would I use that information to get to the "spec no" for the import file?

• Options

NOTE: I do NOT yet have a cert number for this card as it has not completed the PSA grading process yet.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 6:44AM

@Flewbie said:
    I have the year, manufacturer and card number but not sure how to derive the spec number from this information? Let's use
    1971 Topps 156 as an example......Terry Bradshaw card

How would I use that information to get to the "spec no" for the import file?

Without it being graded yet, find someone else with the card in a registry set: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/football/company-sets/1971-topps/alltimeset/105159

Spec # is 0201711560 on page 2. Once graded, you'll be able to find it in your Inventory.

ETA: Not my set, just grabbed the first link available.

• Options

30,000+ thousand spec numbers to go.....smh

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flewbie said:
    30,000+ thousand spec numbers to go.....smh

If you're doing complete sets, it should be a pretty simple drag operation in Excel once you enter the first three so it recognizes a pattern. From what I've seen, spec # increments by 10 for each card #.

If you're doing player sets, just find an example on the registry and export to CSV.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

Some additional info that I gathered and posted awhile back in the PSA Set Registry thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/998155/psa-registry-spec#latest

Jim