Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold bullion, d Carr gold, old silver dollar

SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could say it is a tax return, but that didn’t happen. But I did come into approximately 2k of discretionary funds. I am considering old double eagle(bullion not seriously graded), one of d Carr’s new gold pieces, a 2018 one ounce gold, or draped bust silver dollar for type set.

I would like it to be something I really appreciate ( my ranking is probably: old gold, d Carr, silver dollar, 2018 gold) ; but also something that would at least retain value and be liquid/easy to sell.

What would you get?

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the old coins (early Double Eagle, Draped Bust Dollar), it would depend a lot on the attractiveness of a particular coin.

I'm biased, so my suggestion would not be entirely impartial ;)

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the best opportunity that presented itself first. A nice problem-free Bust Dollar is never hard to sell, but it can br a challenge to find.

thefinn
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you find old gold attractive (as your ranking seems to indicate), then go with that.... $2K will not buy a high grade coin, but it will allow you to acquire an attractive, graded specimen. These are always easy to resell if slabbed and will usually beat melt prices...Plus, they are attractive gold coins. Cheers, RickO

• drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

Retain value and liquid - I’d go with a common or slightly better date CAC Liberty $20 in ms64 or 64+ or a common/slightly better date Saint $20 in 64+ or 65. Should be lots of choices at venues like Heritage

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't looked at prices, but a type one twenty is pretty neat !

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018 8:30PM

@SimpleCollector
    IMHO ...unless you can "steal" a Double Eagle; Dan's have the most potential despite the premium due to their popularity as well as low mintage.
    Here is the one I purchased using 8% eBay Buck a couple months ago ($1717).
    Double Eagles are too expensive for me to start a date set so a few I would acquire overtime has to be at least MS64 and not just a good "representative".
    Get what your heart desires.... <3 and let us know what you decide on....

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

To all who posted thoughts thanks. Here's what I picked up with these discretionary funds. Now need to generate more funds.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you SimpleCollector way to go!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file