Home Sports Talk
Options

Should Cleveland choose a quarterback with both the first and fourth choice?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Team is going to suck any way for the next decade. They may as well generate some internet chatter.

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 2:00PM

gotta feel for the Browns. 1-31 over the last 2 and there's no clear-cut #1 for them to right the ship.

this feels like a quarterback version of Russian roulette with only one empty chamber

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 2:09PM

Using two top 4 picks on two quarterbacks would definitely be a Browns move.

Do what the Redskins did in the RG3 draft when they grabbed him with their 1st then grabbed Kirk Cousins with their 4th. Using both top 4 picks on QBs would be absolutely crazy.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

can't wait, draft starts in a few hours!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, the smart move for the Browns would be to draft two punters at #1 and #4. Think about it...punters per play have the largest yardage gain average of any other position in football. The two punters could be alternated during the game, to have a fresher leg in there each time for maximum yardage gain.

Keeping say around ten punters on the team, providing a fresh leg on every punt, would be a great move for the Cleveland Browns football team. However there are other player positions to consider, so limiting the punting squad to around two or possibly three, would probably be the best strategy for success.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Seriously, the smart move for the Browns would be to draft two punters at #1 and #4. Think about it...punters per play have the largest yardage gain average of any other position in football. The two punters could be alternated during the game, to have a fresher leg in there each time for maximum yardage gain.

Keeping say around ten punters on the team, providing a fresh leg on every punt, would be a great move for the Cleveland Browns football team. However there are other player positions to consider, so limiting the punting squad to around two or possibly three, would probably be the best strategy for success.

they could sign tom tupa off the street he could punt and play QB for them.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

Turns out the Browns for a change drafted very wisely yesterday.

And now that the fun talk about the draft is over, considering the Browns are an AFC team, i couldn't give two chits what they do and whether their draft picks succeed or not. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

And now that the fun talk about the draft is over, considering the Browns are an AFC team, i couldn't give two chits what they do and whether their draft picks succeed or not. LOL

How is the fun talk about the draft over? Rounds 2-7 are where teams get built.

On a sidenote,i just read that Sal Palintonio reported NE stole Philly's RB at the end of the first. Payback! ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

How is the fun talk about the draft over? Rounds 2-7 are where teams get built.

On a sidenote,i just read that Sal Palintonio reported NE stole Philly's RB at the end of the first. Payback! ;)

The first round is always interesting to see where the top draft picks go. Rounds 2-7 used to be fun for me when the Eagles stunk. Now that they are Super Bowl champs, they even traded down their first round pick yesterday, it's just a matter of tweaking and it's not as interesting. Of course I'll see who the Eagles draft in these rounds and review it, and when they put on the pads I'll see how they do.

I think that's right, the Eagles very possibly could have taken that running back, but now it's spilled milk.

The good news is that Bill Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time in my opinion...but Doug Pederson will one day surpass Belichick in that greatness category. Not even Belichick won a Super Bowl in his second season as a head coach. ;)

• Options

I actually look forward to seeing who NE drafts after the first round. In most cases these later picks have a larger impact than the first rounders do,just look at the recent Pats teams that won or made the SB. This past 2017 SB team only had two players on NE's starting offense that were originally 1st round picks,Solder & Cooks,who wasn't even a Pats pick. The SB winning teams in 2014 & 2016 had just Solder. The starting defense in those same years had only 3 first rounders in 2017,three in 2016 and five in 2014.
    Let me know when Doug comes close to matching Bill Belichick's seven SB rings.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I actually look forward to seeing who NE drafts after the first round. In most cases these later picks have a larger impact than the first rounders do,just look at the recent Pats teams that won or made the SB. This past 2017 SB team only had two players on NE's starting offense that were originally 1st round picks,Solder & Cooks,who wasn't even a Pats pick. The SB winning teams in 2014 & 2016 had just Solder. The starting defense in those same years had only 3 first rounders in 2017,three in 2016 and five in 2014.

I completely agree with ya about the importance of those rounds. It's just that most of those players i'm not familiar with in college. I follow Penn State during the college season but don't pay much attention to most of the other college teams. So whoever the Eagles draft, they draft, and then I follow it from there, and hope they work out well.

BTW: Belichick "only" has 5 rings as head coach, so maybe I'll be letting ya know about Doug in 4 years. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

I completely agree with ya about the importance of those rounds. It's just that most of those players i'm not familiar with in college. I follow Penn State during the college season but don't pay much attention to most of the other college teams. So whoever the Eagles draft, they draft, and then I follow it from there, and hope they work out well.

BTW: Belichick "only" has 5 rings as head coach, so maybe I'll be letting ya know about Doug in 4 years. ;)

"Only" 5?

I have no clue what those other rings are for outside of his five as HC & two as DC

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Couple points:

@stevek - How's Saquan Barkley? I am a Giant fan but I watch no college football.

As a Giants fan, I also want to ask - does Nate Solder have anything left? His signing is probably the most important thing the Giants did this offseason but I'm curious to hear from the resident Patriot fans.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

"Only" 5?

I have no clue what those other rings are for outside of his five as HC & two as DC

I thought i stated 5 as head coach.

Perhaps those other "no clue" rings are for bagging some cheerleaders. LOL

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Couple points:

@stevek - How's Saquan Barkley? I am a Giant fan but I watch no college football.

As a Giants fan, I also want to ask - does Nate Solder have anything left? His signing is probably the most important thing the Giants did this offseason but I'm curious to hear from the resident Patriot fans.

Solder is a very good top 10 LT. Probably better in the run game than passing but still not bad at all. I do think making him the highest paid tackle was a bit much but that was a free agency thing.

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

"Only" 5?

After a google search i'm pretty sure the losing SB team gets a ring as well and thats what those other rings are for. So technically Bill has a total of 10 SB rings to Doug's 2,one as player/one as coach. ;)

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Couple points:

Just to make it clear, because of him being a great Penn State player, i'm a Saquon Barkley fan. I sincerely hope that Barkley has a great NFL career and one day makes the Hall of Fame, with him having a good game every time my Eagles beat the Giants.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

"Only" 5?

After a google search i'm pretty sure the losing SB team gets a ring as well and thats what those other rings are for. So technically Bill has a total of 10 SB rings to Doug's 2,one as player/one as coach. ;)

Losing Super Bowl rings...are they worth the melt value of the metal and the pawn value of the diamonds? LOL

• Options

Doug's ring only makes up for the one that Andy Reid & Donovan Mcnabb choked away in 2004.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Couple points:

Just to make it clear, because of him being a great Penn State player, i'm a Saquon Barkley fan. I sincerely hope that Barkley has a great NFL career and one day makes the Hall of Fame, with him having a good game every time my Eagles beat the Giants.

That's very mature of you - I bet you'd even feel the same if the Eagles weren't reigning champs; every Penn State alum I ever met bleeds Nittany Lion blue.

BUT, what do you think? I mean, I am glad you are rooting for him but is he more Eric Dickerson (HOF calibre) or more Angie Dickinson (looks awesome, not a football player)?

or

(what a classic beauty)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@stevek said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Couple points:

That's very mature of you - I bet you'd even feel the same if the Eagles weren't reigning champs; every Penn State alum I ever met bleeds Nittany Lion blue.

BUT, what do you think? I mean, I am glad you are rooting for him but is he more Eric Dickerson (HOF calibre) or more Angie Dickinson (looks awesome, not a football player)?

or

(what a classic beauty)

I root for every Penn State player in the NFL to do well...just as long as whatever effort they put in during a game against my Eagles, doesn't result in an Eagles loss.

Angie played a lot of "football" with the 1960's rat pack with Sinatra, etc...including JFK so it's been said. LOL