Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Dollar 1895 S - Real or Fake?

Gents, first time posting on this or any forum. After a six year hiatus, I'm back into collecting again. I'm two coins short of finishing my Morgan Dollar set (1895 & 1993 S) but I think the coin I just picked up on Ebay (1985 S) might be a replica. The seller wanted $800, I got it for $675. The coin did look like it was cleaned, he shows a pic confirming the 27 oz. weight, but then I realized that the date looked a little off from the graded Slab pictures and saw some replicas that looked almost real. I called Ebay and they told me that if its fake my money is guaranteed and I went to a coin shop today that offered to test the metal once I received the coin. Can one of you Morgan enthusiasts give these pictures a look and give me your opinion? Much appreciated. john

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1895-s-circulated-morgan-silver-dollar/222939240233?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 4:52PM

Counterfeit. Now tell me why....

• aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero feedback as a seller, nothing else sold or for sale. Sorry without even looking at your pictures I can pretty much guarantee this won't end well. Ebay buyer protection should cover you.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops. I see you are new here. The coin has spike tool marks near the rim at 8:00 and look at the raised "junk" around the "A" of "America." Date numerals not the correct shape either.

• Thanks Guys. That’s what I thought. I should know better than to click buy and not look at Seller Feedback while looking at pics on my mobile phone. Lesson learned. Thank you.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with @Insider2. Also the eagle breast feathers look like those from a 1921.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 6:37PM
    deleted

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...Welcome John, and please don’t take this the wrong way as I rarely bust balls here...but if you already purchased 95 of the 97 coins required to complete this set and you needed us to determine if that coin is real or not when it so fake it’s not even funny...then I really hope the rest of what you bought checks out ok...I understand you may want to have your set raw but IMHO those last 2 whales should be bought only in reputable plastic and then crack away if you desire...Good Luck to you buddy ;)

edited April 24, 2018 6:50PM

@jmnavarro28 said:
    Gents, first time posting on this or any forum. After a six year hiatus, I'm back into collecting again. I'm two coins short of finishing my Morgan Dollar set (1895 & 1993 S) but I think the coin I just picked up on Ebay (1985 S) might be a replica. The seller wanted $800, I got it for $675. The coin did look like it was cleaned, he shows a pic confirming the 27 oz. weight, but then I realized that the date looked a little off from the graded Slab pictures and saw some replicas that looked almost real. I called Ebay and they told me that if its fake my money is guaranteed and I went to a coin shop today that offered to test the metal once I received the coin. Can one of you Morgan enthusiasts give these pictures a look and give me your opinion? Much appreciated. john

Good luck finding a genuine 1993S Morgan Dollar. :):):) Heck, even a real (or at least decent) 1893S is hard enough to find!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Faker than fake news would be my take.

theknowitalltroll;
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

By looking at the stars on the obverse ... I would say it's fake.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying raw coins on eBay in that price range is asking for trouble. Be careful the counterfeiters have only gotten better during your six year break. Welcome aboard, this is a good place to get helpful info.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to disagree! I have had several G-VG's and a VF30 raw I have sold in the last year or so that were absolutely genuine. 93-S's are not hard to authenticate if you know what to look for!

@CCGGG said:

@jmnavarro28 said:

Good luck finding a genuine 1993S Morgan Dollar. :):):) Heck, even a real (or at least decent) 1893S is hard enough to find!

@amwldcoin said:
    I have to disagree! I have had several G-VG's and a VF30 raw I have sold in the last year or so that were absolutely genuine. 93-S's are not hard to authenticate if you know what to look for!

@CCGGG said:

@jmnavarro28 said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

??????

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@amwldcoin said:

@CCGGG said:

@jmnavarro28 said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

edited April 24, 2018 7:27PM

@amwldcoin said:

Yes I know what to look for. As an "example", If I can't see the die crack in the top of the T, I won't even look for the other diagnostics on a 1893S. Even well worn G's to VF's will show the die crack with a low powered loop.

@amwldcoin said:
    ??????

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

@amwldcoin said:

@CCGGG said:

@jmnavarro28 said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

1993 bro...1993S... ;)

That's not a die crack! :smiley:

@CCGGG said:

@amwldcoin said:

Yes I know what to look for. As an "example", If I can't see the die crack in the top of the T, I won't even look for the other diagnostics on a 1893S. Even well worn G's to VF's will show the die crack with a low powered loop.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fakie McFakerson, sir. Welcome to the Forum.

I'd love to see your Morgan set when you're ready!

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

sorry, but..
    send it back

Frank

BHNC #203

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The edge looks wrong.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@amwldcoin said:
    That's not a die crack! :smiley:

OK, scratch if you prefer. :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmnavarro28....Welcome aboard...As stated in all the above posts, not genuine. Good luck in the return process. Cheers, RickO

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much of it a fairly well done fake. I had to laugh at the third star (clockwise from Unum) - looks like a starfish!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

the mintmark looks off to me, too big, anyone agree on that? thanks

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish all the counterfeits were that easy...

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

asheland summed this one up. Well written.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

I would expect chocolate in this one... Very sad... Not even close.

• @3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...Welcome John, and please don’t take this the wrong way as I rarely bust balls here...but if you already purchased 95 of the 97 coins required to complete this set and you needed us to determine if that coin is real or not when it so fake it’s not even funny...then I really hope the rest of what you bought checks out ok...I understand you may want to have your set raw but IMHO those last 2 whales should be bought only in reputable plastic and then crack away if you desire...Good Luck to you buddy ;)

Thanks. Agree. All the other Morgans were bought from reputable dealers with thousands of feedback. I also just went through my whole collection to double check. But For sure I will eventually buy the 83 S and 95 Slabbed. Thanks gain guys.

jmnavarro28...

Please consider attending coin shows to examine coins... Including all Morgan Dollars... so that you can see in hand the difference between the coin that is the subject of this thread and others that are authentic. Buying on line does not ever replace what is learned from seeing a coin in hand. Best wishes in your future collecting...

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018 6:51PM

Don't "molest" the coin if you do decide to take it for a test in the coin store. The coin looks fake to me....

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file