Home Precious Metals
Options

1986 Silver Eagle Mint Error?

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im sick but still working. Work is the best medicine, right?

Going through several original rolls of 86 eagles and found this specimen. I've never found one with this kind of super satin finish, it almost appears as fine sandpaper. Could this be a struck through sanding disk? If not what other culprits are out there?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what may have caused that finish... it does certainly look different. Let's tag @FredWeinberg to see if he can comment on this. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 7:06AM

I do recall an actual sanding disk being sent for verification, it had an ASE image pressed onto it.
    So, it is possible that that's what caused the irregular surface.
    https://sullivannumismatics.com/coin/pcgs-1-nd-american-silver-eagle-struck-3m-sanding-disc-ms-64

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to post this on the US Coin Forum to get a few more eyes on it.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen these. Possibly due to the first coins in the issue. They may have been playing around a little with the finish on the dies.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent one off to a formite in that batch I sold a couple of weeks ago. Thought about saving it but did not. It certainly is a different look/finish.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I sent one off to a formite in that batch I sold a couple of weeks ago. Thought about saving it but did not. It certainly is a different look/finish.

bob

I noticed that, first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I pulled them all out of the flips to organize and noticed it was different but certainly don't think it is an error.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

yup, that's the one.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look different than my 1986s in the danscos.....

That said, looking at them laid out in the danscos, and I see a change in finish every few years. Some are more satiny, some more polished, etc.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment