Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have a few Dan Carr's coins my girlfriend called "Open House" coins. What is that mean?

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2018 8:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My girlfriend sent me a bunch of what she called Dan Carr's "Open House" coins. You can clearly see the over struck coin underneath. Is it meant to be a sample or a test coin meant to be "disposed"? Dan Carr's Error coins? ;)

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The X means the die has been retired. Here is the page on Dan's site
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_event_tokens_list.htm
    Looks like he did an overstrike using the cancelled die at an open house event.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I understand, Every once in a while, Dan Carr will open his area to visitors who can use their coinage to have various designs imprinted onto theirs, like the pieces above. @dcarr could enlighten us on the "open house" pieces.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Thank you 1940coupe, greatly appreciate it <3
    Wondered why he did it though?

• Options
    edited April 22, 2018 8:23PM

@oih82w8
    @Kudbegud
    Did you ever been invited to such event? :)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately no. It would be a highlight of a trip to Colorado though.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only been into the Denver area once, last August for the ANA Show, I saw Dan there, but his table was awfully busy. He may have had an open house at that time, but I did not attend.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan's Open House coins are a great way to collect his pieces because you can get some unique pieces for much less than his standard issue pieces. If you are fortunate enough to attend you can bring your own pieces to have overstruck. I have a bunch of them from that year but haven't been lucky enough to attend one yet.

Here's one of my favorites. This was struck by Dan for himself on one his antiqued concept dollars:

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm...Interesting...dude, if that pic of the surfer chick you posted in the other thread is the “girlfriend” then I gotta say that ANYTHING she says GOES bro...If she tells you the sky is orange just nod and smile...No Doubt ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I should get back out West again (sure do miss the West), I will endeavor to visit Dan's facility...I have several of his coins and would love to see his shop. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@dcarr
    Thank you.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2018 9:46AM

I AM the surfer chick @3keepSECRETif2rDEAD and I'd say it's PURPLE hazed sky ;) ...a sis not a bro ;)

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    Hmm...Interesting...dude, if that pic of the surfer chick you posted in the other thread is the “girlfriend” then I gotta say that ANYTHING she says GOES bro...If she tells you the sky is orange just nod and smile...No Doubt ;)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic stuff, you are very luck to have such a nice friend to part with those pieces.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 12:48PM

@Paradisefound said:
    I AM the surfer chick @3keepSECRETif2rDEAD and I'd say it's PURPLE hazed sky ;) ...a sis not a bro ;)

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

...Well then it’s your girlfriend that’s the Lucky one ;)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be kinda cool to go to one of Dan's Open House events. If Dan is reading this, when is the 2018 Open House?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, you have a girlfriend who not only knows about Dcarr stuff but owns some and has some you don't know about... Can I have her number please? I just need to ask her something, honest o:)

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    It would be kinda cool to go to one of Dan's Open House events. If Dan is reading this, when is the 2018 Open House?

At this point, the only one officially scheduled is the annual ANA Summer Seminar field trip for "The Modern Minting Process: Errors & Varieties" class.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2018 7:39PM

@CascadeChris
    Her "old" boyfriend gave it to her last year; in attempt to spark the interest and she doesn't care seeing them anymore since they've gone separate way :'(;):)
    I'll use a few for the upcoming contest :)

@Kkathyl said:
    Fantastic stuff, you are very luck to have such a nice friend to part with those pieces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file