Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeits and forgeries manual found at a yard sale -

LeroyLeroy Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Apparently this is a manual to help bank employees spot counterfeit bills foreign and domestic. Picked it up at a yard sale for a couple bucks, never seen one before just wanted to share.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great item, well worth preserving.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty cool

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... I would definitely have purchased that... One of the reasons I stop at yard sales, one never knows what might be there....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, any copyright date?

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, nice find!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leroy
    Rummaging over old treasures could really bring surprises. Did you ever find any interesting coins?

• Options

@ChangeInHistory said:
    Very cool, any copyright date?

I don't see a copyright date, it's in a four ring binder that allows you to update/replace the pages. I did see this cover page and the photos appear to be from the late '80's early '90's.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

This really is a modern version of the 19th century "Counterfeit Detector" books. It is am important find, in my opinion.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Very cool

m

+1

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

VERY cool

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Nice find, congrats

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta get to more yard sales!

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

Keesing is still in business.

www.keesingtechnologies.com

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    @Leroy
    Rummaging over old treasures could really bring surprises. Did you ever find any interesting coins?

Yes, a few years ago I stopped at a garage sale and the guy had pretty much everything piled out in the driveway. He told me that he was moving and didn't want to take anything with him (That was music to my ears). He had some really nice stuff at give away prices. After setting a few things aside, I asked him if he had any old guns or coins and he said "yes, but there inside, I'll go get them".
    The guy comes back with two Carson City silver dollars. I can't remember what they call them but they were in the large plastic holders. The coins were common dates but an outright steal at $75 apiece. I always ask about old coins and guns at sales and about one out of a hundred times the people will make your day.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stumbled upon a yard sale where a very old African woman had a tin box with silver dollars written with a magic marker. She opened the box and they were circulated clad Ike dollars........ Now, for the life of me, I couldn't convince her they were not silver dollars. She had distrust in her eyes and I instantly knew it was a lost cause trying. Of course, I had no interest in them and apologized to her and left.
    For some experiences, it's just been too long ago to remember how it was then, what to say to get a point across not knowing what they know.......if anything.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Archie Bunker once got a $10 bill that said "In Dog We Trust"

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Saw the title and I thought you found a "How To" manual at a yard sale.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great find.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

so cool!

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

I find it interesting that on the Canadian page that 1, 2, and 5 dollar notes are shown.
    If i were a forger, I wouldn't mess around with the low denominations - I'd go for $20 minimum.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@Cameonut said:
    Nice find!

I find it interesting that on the Canadian page that 1, 2, and 5 dollar notes are shown.
    If i were a forger, I wouldn't mess around with the low denominations - I'd go for $20 minimum.

Think about it though, who pays attention to the small bills.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice find :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file