Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the next 1854-s $5 discovery?

The big news got me thinking there are obviously more coins out there that owners have tucked away or (like with the 1854-s $5 discovery) were told it was fake.

I am not sure I can touch something of the magnitude of the 1854-s $5 but I know plenty of complete (minus 95 Proof) Morgan sets raw in a Whitman book.

Comments

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

A 1959 Wheat back penny. (certified of course)

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm working on it as I stumbled across something accidentally I can't discuss right now ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are likely hundreds of interesting things out there in family attics, envelopes and amidst old newspaper clippings. Imagine if each past mint employee kept just one souvenir piece. Several employees and officers were active coin collectors -- what remains in family holdings. (Think of the Eckfeldt Family materials that popped up a couple of years ago.)

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

The DuPont collection will come out one day such as the 66 no motto dollar or the other 54s

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WoodenJefferson said:
    A 1959 Wheat back penny. (certified of course)

I'd love a 1958 Memorial back cent!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably something on the world of paper money. There are plenty of old US notes with only a dozen or so examples known, and most are heavily circulated. Someone is going to open a family bible and find one in 63 PPQ

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Uncirculated condition 1793 Strawberry Leaf large cent.
    Somewhere....

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more examples of the Gloucester Courthouse tokens would be nice!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sooner or later a '64D Peace will surface.....and be the focus of the next major court case. Unless I find it... :D "My precious....".... And I know there is an off metal cent out there...still trying to get that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting on an 1873-S Seated Liberty Dollar to show up! There were rumors 1 was seen 40 or 50 years ago.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta be one or more caches of Dahlonega or Charlotte or Bechtler or Templeton Reid gold or all of the above that were squirreled away during the Civil War. I wouldn't mind finding one of those stacks.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

After I started working in Collectors Clearinghouse in 1974, Ed Fleischmann there told me a story about a woman from the Columbus Ohio area who had brought in a decent 1861-D gold dollar a few years earlier. The family had an old roll-top desk it had inherited, and during a house break-in somebody had rifled through the desk but left behind an envelope that felt empty. In it was the 1861-D.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:
    I'm working on it as I stumbled across something accidentally I can't discuss right now ;)

That sounds interesting. Can the forum get a preview?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kenriles012 said:

@Broadstruck said:

That sounds interesting. Can the forum get a preview?

Hopefully by the fall a discovery announcement will be made :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

While cleaning out a rodent trap in a dark corner of the SF mint, a dirty, but unworn 1870-S $3 gold is found, The story is they only made 1 but when the clumsy mint apprentice bent down to scratch his itchy feet, it rolled away so they struck another. I don't know if the apprentice was fired and billed for the lost coin. ;)

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal detectorists will surely find something of significant interest.

• Options

The Mother Lode of discoveries will be the 1870 cornerstone of the Second San Francisco Mint. Not just another $3, but an 1870-S Quarter!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
               I'm still waiting for a Euro Find -

--- A 50% Off Center Dated $20 St. Gaudens --

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

A real 1841-O half eagle? An uncirculated 1817/4 half dollar would drive all the Bust Half Nuts even more crazy. An 1873-S no arrows half dollar would be pretty interesting, too.

• Options
    WilliamWilliam Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 1:53PM

Maybe the 1974 Lincoln cent struck on a bronze-clad steel planchet, an experimental piece struck at the same time as the more famous aluminum cent, will reappear. I saw it in our offices at Coin World in 1994, and Mint officials confirmed that they had been struck. It was sent to us by a former steel mill worker who witnessed the destruction of bags of these experimental pieces at his steel mill, where they had been brought by Mint personnel to be melted. A bag broke and some bronze-clad steel cents were scattered; a few pieces were snatched up by workers, including my source, The cents remain on the forbidden-to-collect list like the aluminum cents.

William T. Gibbs, Coin World

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bag of 33 Saints turns up........

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

SS Central America may yet cough up another 54s $5.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems some of the more significant finds fail to gather much interest. Sort of sad...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    Gotta be one or more caches of Dahlonega or Charlotte or Bechtler or Templeton Reid gold or all of the above that were squirreled away during the Civil War. I wouldn't mind finding one of those stacks.

I have heard all my life that millions in Confederate gold was buried to fund the next rebellion when it was realized that the cause was lost.

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

@halfhunter said:

@tommy44 said:

I have heard all my life that millions in Confederate gold was buried to fund the next rebellion when it was realized that the cause was lost.

What Confederate gold? They spent it all.

Any "patriotic" traitors contributed their gold to the cause, from whence it went to Europe to buy war materials, Anybody that held gold back from the Cause would not have given a tinker's dam about the next treason.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would tend to bet against another showing up from the wreck. This coin was 13 years old at the time and had circulated (to whatever extent it ever did) so no gleaming rows of them would have been laying around.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I would tend to bet against another showing up from the wreck. This coin was 13 years old at the time and had circulated (to whatever extent it ever did) so no gleaming rows of them would have been laying around.

Only three years. And even one XF/AU would be a FIND!

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's still lots of stuff sitting around that hasn't been seen in generations, who knows if it's real, but it's out there. There was local collector who died 20 years ago owning 3 date sets of large cents and 2 of half cents. One of the cent sets has a "strawberry leaf", which everyone assumes is fake, but it hasn't been seen in 40 years. All of that stuff is supposedly still in SDBs, along with who knows what. That same collector sold $100k face of silver during the Hunt run-up, so the family has never needed to sell anything else that he had.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    There's still lots of stuff sitting around that hasn't been seen in generations, who knows if it's real, but it's out there. There was local collector who died 20 years ago owning 3 date sets of large cents and 2 of half cents. One of the cent sets has a "strawberry leaf", which everyone assumes is fake, but it hasn't been seen in 40 years. All of that stuff is supposedly still in SDBs, along with who knows what. That same collector sold $100k face of silver during the Hunt run-up, so the family has never needed to sell anything else that he had.

This is the most interesting one to me. Do you suppose anyone has approached the family just to authenticate the Strawberry Leaf cent? No need to sell it but it'd be cool to see another one!

• Options

When I was working for the ANA in the early 1980's, we got a letter from some people in Upstate New York about a collection of an ANA member who had died in 1940! His widow had just put everything into the bank and left it there until she died over 40 years later. Best coin a Gem 1876-CC Twenty Center.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file