Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another "Sintered Planchet Error" question for Fred

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 20, 2018 10:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ya, ya, ya I know this is called an improperly annealed planchet error nowadays.

I do not like "stories" when buying or selling a coin because the story has no effect on what the coin is.

But, here is my "story" anyway ....... Back in 2005, I was obsessed with finding errors on Bison nickels. I bought many fed boxes, mint boxes, mint rolls, and mint bags. I found many minor errors and flipped them all. I did find a partially improperly annealed Denver mint nickel, very cool. Months later when I was short on cash, I went to Coinstar. I dumped in all my searched Bisons and apparently a half full mint bag of Bisions that went unsearched. Well, thank you, Coinstar for kicking back my 100% improperly annealed bison nickel.

Fast forward to Long Beach this year when I brought my 5 super best raw errors to get graded at PCGS (thank you BTW) and my next 22 best raw error to NGC.

What I collect and submit is super high-end stuff, The 100% improperly annealed error is so good, the NGC grader could not determine what it is. I wanted to let you know this fact for full disclosure.

Fred, can you tell the difference? I know my story is just a story, by it is the truth.

Thank you in advance for your comments on this coin. I would like PCGS to certify this one if you think it will pass.

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen any or heard of any copper plated Bisons, have you? Not that it can't be done.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL. Give the guy a chance to have a cup of coffee. He posted on another thread that he just walked in to the office.

I was adding information from my observations from scanning eBay every day since 2005.

Never have I ever seen a copper plated Bision.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys -

I have seen mis-annealed Nickels of that
    design/year, but only with partial copper
    on the surfaces (some showed up on Ebay
    years ago),but not a 100% 'copper' mis-annealed
    '05 Buffalo.

I can't tell for sure from the photos only - does
    the edge of the coin have the copper color as
    'red', or is is c/n color, or very lightly tinted red?

Post a photo/scan of the edge, and I'll take a good
    look.......Or you can show it to me at the June LB show.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    edited April 20, 2018 11:32AM

Thank you for looking and here are the photos ..... not sure if I will make the LB show in June or not.

The black kinda line looks like the sintering black pattern that I have seen on other nickles.

I don't like the look of the edge.

It should be smooth, like a normal
    nickel, because it's ejected as a normal
    coin, after it's struck. This edge is a bit rough.

That's why in most cases, the edge of the
    coin has just a very light pinkish tint to it,
    as the whole planchet originally would have
    the mis-annealed copper color, but it would
    be removed somewhat as the coin was ejected
    from the collar. I've seen this effect on almost
    all Mis-Annealed coins, from nickels to half
    dollars, and including the Presidential dollars.

Based on viewing your photos of the edge of the
    coin, I have my doubts now, but I'd still need to
    see the coin in-hand to be certain one way or the
    other.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    edited April 20, 2018 11:58AM

I absolutely thank you for your opinion. I will show you in hand when I get a chance to go to long beach.

My thoughts tho, Is it possible that in 2005 there was a copper plated coin sitting in the Coinstar machine, I suppose. I personally put that chance at way less than one percent.

So, if this did indeed come out of an unsearched US mint sealed bag that I opened, then I need to explain this to myself.

I know the US mint would not plate a coin so it only could be a Miss-Anealeled Error (except for that way less than 1% chance imo) and the fact that I did personally find another partially miss-annealled error from the same mint. I also found a third D mint Bison that is light pinkish that I know is miss-annealing as well.

Also the partially miss-annealed bison that I found is that exact same color as the 100% miss-annealled bison.

here is the same black annealing that I see on the edge of the bison

coin

Except that black area shouldn't be
    on the the 'rough edge' of your coin.

The best thing is to show me the coin
    at Long Beach - I should be able to
    confirm it as a mis-annealed planchet
    or not upon examination of it, instead
    of just the photos.

Thank you again. I will show it to you with the other two for a total of 3 miss-annealed Denver mint Bison.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an interesting nickel... I have never seen one of these mis-annealed coins - other than pictures. It would certainly stand out in pocket change. Be sure to post Fred's decision when he sees the coin. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file