Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hong Kong coin show

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of people showed up. You can tell why China coin price keep going up because huge collectors base in China and Asia. RMB value increase VS USD. That two copper coin break record in SB HK auction.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the hobby is thriving. Good to see!

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

wish I could go to that show! Hope that side of collecting (chinese coins) lobbies the chinese government or whatnot to go after chinese counterfeiters

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like quite the crowd! Do you see an age or gender skewing in Asia too? The buying crowd seems a bit younger, but mostly male. Are the interests mostly in Chinese coins, or are the 'world' collectors pretty strong? Nice coin pickups too!

• TLeverageTLeverage Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    Lots of people showed up. You can tell why China coin price keep going up because huge collectors base in China and Asia. RMB value increase VS USD. That two copper coin break record in SB HK auction.

Very nice. Out of curiosity, how substantial was the presence of chopmarked coinage, on Chinese coins and on general world types? Are Chinese collectors starting to collect them more often?

No Chinese don’t like chopmark so chopmark coin will sell for big discount.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

Wonder if that will ever change. Trends can shift.

@OriginalDan said:

@jt88 said:

Wonder if that will ever change. Trends can shift.

That I don't know.

@Stork said:
    Looks like quite the crowd! Do you see an age or gender skewing in Asia too? The buying crowd seems a bit younger, but mostly male. Are the interests mostly in Chinese coins, or are the 'world' collectors pretty strong? Nice coin pickups too!

Yes, Chinese collector tend to be younger. I think the interests are mostly in Chinese coins for Chinese. Other world coin tend to be sell at discount. I always try to buy Japan yen from Chinese seller. I usually can get a better price.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@Stork said:

Yes, Chinese collector tend to be younger. I think the interests are mostly in Chinese coins for Chinese. Other world coin tend to be sell at discount. I always try to buy Japan yen from Chinese seller. I usually can get a better price.

I understand the Chinese consider Mexican 8R to be “Chinese coins.” Is that correct?

@pruebas said:

@jt88 said:

@Stork said:

I understand the Chinese consider Mexican 8R to be “Chinese coins.” Is that correct?

In a way, yes.

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88,

Are the Chinese collectors mainlanders or from TW, HK and Macau and other places in Asia?

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

@EVillageProwler said:
    @jt88,

Are the Chinese collectors mainlanders or from TW, HK and Macau and other places in Asia?

EVP

I think all the place you mentioned but most from china.

20,000 visitors showed up in three days show. No wonder the booth sold out fast.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 9:05PM

I have been watching the Chinese market for a while on baidu forum. Most of Chinese world coin collectors are into Victoria, Russia and German. And majority would preferred silver while very few were willing to collect gold due to pricing.

Due to China's tax and restriction, collectors from mainland normally pay up to 130% of current market value. However, I would said over 25% of collectors are uneducated and owned problem coins such as cleaned. detailed and counterfeits in both raw and slabs.

Lastly to most of the Chinese, this is an investment and not a hobby.

@TurboSnail said:

Lastly to most of the Chinese, this is an investment and not a hobby.

I disagree on the rest but agree on the last sentence. China coin price keep breaking record (pre-1949 machine make coin). I bought some silver coin that was bought at the high of the market from HA (pushed up the price by HA or dealer). I sold them all with profit already and I bought US $20 gold coin couple years ago and still can’t sell it at cost (after eBay/PayPal fee). If you look at SB recent HK auction many CASH and silver coin break record. You hardly can find any gold coin on market because no one sells. Any good grade China coin gets sold. You put a good China coin on eBay couple Hundred view in just couple hours. I bet it is not research the high yet. Great collection just sold one 1904 kiangnan (pretty common date) MS64 for over 11K. If you bought some of the dollar in 2013, 2014, or even 2015 the price might has already double. Think about the population in china and think about how fast the economic grow there then you know how big is potential for the coin price to go up. Buying China pre-1949 coin for investment or hobby is the way to go.

• TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 9:09PM

Sorry my bad. I edited it. I meant up to 130% not 30%. Anyhow I bet in the show, over half were flippers and tried to smuggle in to mainland for profit.

no comment on that.

• WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭

Yeah that was a great show - that's me on the left in the 5th pic btw (and behind the lamp in the 2nd).