Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 dateless type 1 SLQ

Looks like it to me from the pick up points, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 11:25AM

Yup! A heckofa lot better than the one I don't have. Cherrypicked?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks like one to me. You can differentiate a 1917 from a 1916 by the rivets on the shield! Now send it to PCGS to get authenticated.

• Options
    CacoinguyCacoinguy Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Just picked it up at 10x face from the local we buy gold and silver people . Have been looking for one for a while, was just hoping there would be some type 1s to examine in the bag was pleasantly surprised to see this beauty :)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! I look at every dateless Philly type 1 I can get my hands on, and haven't found one yet.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Thanks guys , off to Pcgs she will go, just wanted to see what you guys thought before it went

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 3:02PM

Drapery looks like a 1917 to me...

But the sash does look like a 16...

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the PUPs on a 1916 in this condition? :smile: Thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The drape under the sash below the outstretched arm is a good one. The '16 ha two forks and the '17 has three.

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an excellent description of the differences between the dates:

coinauctionshelp.com/identify1916standingquarter.html#.WtkCahQddhB

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options

@CommemDude said:

Unfortunately, all those diagnostics are worn off low grade coins. The diagnostic I mentioned is just out of the image of the sash.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

D or S ?

:)

• Options

Diagnostics on these coins are tough in my opinion I’ve been stumped several times but was fairly certain about this one. Don’t wanna post a bad one and look like a dummy :)

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 2:21PM

very good find. yours has all the signs of a 16. well done.

• Options

@Cacoinguy said:
    Diagnostics on these coins are tough in my opinion I’ve been stumped several times but was fairly certain about this one. Don’t wanna post a bad one and look like a dummy :)

Keep a worn and dateless 1917 around while you search for the 16's.

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

@CommemDude said:

The Big Toe looks BIG! Congratulations!

• Options

Crazy hound dog - that is the best diagnostic chart I have ever seen. Thanks for posting it! Your the man! Any grade guesses? I’ll have it back in about 2 weeks

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    D or S ?

I don't know, Roger. I can't find the Mintmark.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@crazyhounddog said:

The circled part under the arm gets worn away! However, the images you posted show an obvious diagnostic very clearly.

Look at each oval under the arm. Follow the circumference around to about 5:30. Now look at the drape connected to the sash. The '16 is thinner with two "prongs." The '17 has three "prongs." Let me know if it is clear.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 4:38PM

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@RogerB said:
    D or S ?

I don't know, Roger. I can't find the Mintmark.

Pete

The mintmark is between her right big toe and the toe next to it, although some think it is carried in the eagle's talons. The prominent "M" on the obverse is not a mint mark. It stands for "Milwaukee" where the designer's favorite beer was brewed. :)

(We won't discuss the Carson Mint pieces.....)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cacoinguy said:
    Crazy hound dog - that is the best diagnostic chart I have ever seen. Thanks for posting it! Your the man! Any grade guesses? I’ll have it back in about 2 weeks

I’ll not muster a guess but I will congratulate you on a job VERY well done my coin brother. Leave the grading to the experts on this very educated forum .
    I could not possibly be the man when you the man ;)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

A forum member posted this a few years ago, from an Ebay auction they cherrypicked- thank you for doing so (I'll take this down if you want me to). I look at it from time to time. There is one 1916 in this group. See if you can find it:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cacoinguy said:
    Looks like it to me from the pick up points, what do you think?

Looks like a “you suck” is in order.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 5:32PM

@cmerlo1 said:

(I'll take this down if you want me to). I look at it from time to time. There is one 1916 in this group. See if you

starting from top left, to right. it is coin 9. 3rd coin in 3rd row.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Appreciate all the tips and help from everyone it is greatly appreciated. I like the fact we can come here and chat , learn, and make new friends. Thanks for taking the time to teach and reply

• Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Very educational post

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 16 to me.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 11:39PM

Very nice OP. These are the only two I've cherry picked out of junk silver.

1917 and 1917-D

(I think, because drapery difference, unsure).

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a '16 to me..... On @cmerlo1 's group... third row down, third coin.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lack of rivet detail on the shield is my "pick-up point" for the 1916. The 1917 will have some detail in virtually all grades...I am sure there are exceptions.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you know what to look for, and where on the coin to look, it's rather easy.

This post is very educational, and a big help to the uninformed.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2018 8:07AM

Deleted

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cmerlo1 said:
    A forum member posted this a few years ago, from an Ebay auction they cherrypicked- thank you for doing so (I'll take this down if you want me to). I look at it from time to time. There is one 1916 in this group. See if you can find it:

Third row, #3, to the right

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Hey guys figured I would update this thread. As mentioned before I appreciate everyone’s help. Grade just posted - PO01. Glad it straight graded.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice eye!

• Options

Congrats to you :smile:

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread on the slq. Got a load of slqs in an old binder of 2x2s to look thru. What fun! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go.

Trade $'s

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file