Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Sold

YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

TODAY - Great Collections auction. Bid early and often.

As of Sunday. morning, both coins are stupid cheap, less than 1/3 of value.

Two amazingly toned pieces from the early days of the U.S.

1789 Mexico. AU55 The U.S. Constitution was adopted that year.

1813 Peru MS62 Prooflike.

Links to the auctions:
1789-
https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/568591/Mexico-1789-Mo-FM-Silver-8-Reales-Calico-681-Carolus-IV-PCGS-AU-53-Toned

1813-
https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/568592/Peru-1813-L-JP-Silver-8-Reales-PCGS-MS-62-Toned

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

Ttt

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though my numismatic budget is non-existent these days with the baby only a few weeks away, I couldn't let that 1789 close at the price it was at a few minutes before the end.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki then I believe that calls for congratulations! Twice! Congratulations! Congratulations! :)

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forum members own both then as I picked up the 1813. Thanks for posting them

• Options
    edited April 23, 2018 5:36AM

You guys got incredible deals!!
    I am very unhappy with the low results.
    The dealer from whom I bought them would not make offer to buy them back. Not cool.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not cool indeed. This series seems to have softened quite a bit over the past 2 years and a lot of bifubrication between the top pops and everything else. Not a sellers market, unfortunately.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

That doesn't seem to be a very good business decision by the dealer. I'm not a dealer myself but I imagine a quick way to lose future business is to sell coins you don't have interest in re-buying in the future.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant recall what you were asking on those pre auction...they're super nice pieces and definately seem to have gone cheap.

I was eventually able to get the prices i wanted for my best portrait toners by consigning with a dealer but it definitely took awhile.

Ive still got quite a few that are not quite monsters...I expect that those will be even tougher..

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few hopefully constructive thoughts...
    1) You bought the 1789 from me and I’m not a dealer
    2) GC is not a place I’d target selling these
    3) By placing the coins on the BST for weeks and then offering them to a dealer you likely made the coins even less fresh which hurts a dealers chance for resale.
    4) Your holding periods seem to be very short, weeks to months. It would be tough for any dealer to continually buyback short term holdings at strong prices, especially after they are publicly displayed for sale.