Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lost and Found- 2 coin's 20 month journey - TrueViews posted now!

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 9, 2018 10:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Back in August of 2016 I sent these 2 gold toners to @CascadeChris to submit for grading and TrueViews for me. Well, they never made it. I am a high quantity shipper, so self insure. I paid a premium for these as you hardly ever find them toned like this, so was out about $500. I was more sad about losing the coins than the money, as you can't just go out and buy a replacement gold toner. We both went through the process of contacting the PO, filing for lost packages, etc, but never heard anything. Well, to both of our surprise, they arrived today at his address!! No scuffs, tears, damage, or anything. Whoo hooo!! That was a nice little surprise on an otherwise cold snowy Monday.

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see it worked out!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. I wonder what happened. I have some coins that may have ended up in the usps lost parcel facility in the Atlanta area; I wonder what happens to coins there, auction?

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear they are found.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sometimes think the postal system is like my couch....

Every year or so, I pull it out for cleaning, and God only knows what I'll find behind it. ;)

Glad you got your coins back!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be "Found in supposedly empty equipment." That happens very occasionally.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

I can understand why you were upset. Don't see modern gold toners like that everyday ! ! !
    Glad it finally worked out for you.

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m happy you got your coins back.

How do you reconcile this with your insurance carrier from 2 years ago?

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is crazy. Beautiful coins though. Are you still sending them for grading?

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I’m happy you got your coins back.

How do you reconcile this with your insurance carrier from 2 years ago?

I am self insured, meaning I did not buy any insurance, I just ate the loss back then. Nothing to reconcile :)

@hchcoin said:

That's the plan! I didn't have a pcgs membership back then, but do now, so will send them in for trueviews. I've seen a few graded toners like this, and the pictures turn out gorgeous. Here are the two I've seen before:

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten
    What a blessing.....they meant to show up. Thanks St. Anthony....
    Wondered if they were toning on the long lengthy journey :) I am happy for you <3

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 2004s. Daughter's birth year. I see coins like that and think I should get her one. Then I think she will just sell it when she's old enough. :D

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 10:36PM

@jwitten said:

@hchcoin said:

That's the plan! I didn't have a pcgs membership back then, but do now, so will send them in for trueviews. I've seen a few graded toners like this, and the pictures turn out gorgeous. Here are the two I've seen before

I’m glad it worked out
    Those 2 images of my toned gold are even better looking in hand B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazing... lost for 20 months and then - voila' - suddenly they appear. Much like the unobtainable history of most coins, that will likely remain a mystery....Great ending though, happy you got them back. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazing, congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Could be "Found in supposedly empty equipment." That happens very occasionally.

The problem is that the package should be stamped with that. It isn't. Someone probably goofed.

In my early years at the Post Office, my Supervisor used to have me go out in the back where empty sacks were tossed.

He said: "You are the sack supervisor. Make sure they are empty". I would always find something. I would give it to him and it would get stamped with what Ron said.

What bugs me most is the I don't care attitude that I find current USPS employees have.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Trueviews just posted!

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Gorgeous!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool, both graded MS69 as well.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohhh my how scary to go through that whole ordeal. I have a coin right now back east that was suppose to go west. Its delayed I hope I dont go through that 20 months. Man glad it worked out.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a story. Glad it worked out !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!! I'm so happy for you that they showed up. This really lives up to the old saying "Better late than never". I can only imagine how happy you were getting that message from Chris about them showing up. It probably felt better than when you first acquired them. :)

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2018 1:31AM

Glad they made it after all this time.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait!
    Snowy day?

In May?

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file