Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just found "3rd known' example of 1896 IHC Horn-9 FS-302.

dedalus_57645dedalus_57645 Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited April 16, 2018 12:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi. Thought there could be some interest in this recent find. I obtained it at a coin show (unattributed, of course), thinking I could see the horn on the 9, but thinking, "Nah, couldn't be 'the Horn-9', since that's unique" (later learned that there were 2 known examples).

I've since had it certified with PCGS and it's on CoinFacts now (F-12 example).

I'm attaching a pic. Thought this was neat enough to share. Since my loved ones and friends don't really care about coins, was hoping at least someone would think this was pretty interesting!!

Comments

• Options

Sorry for double post. The system gave me an error when I tried to post the first time, but apparently it did post then too!! Oops.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find! to the boards.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know much about the series, or the variety....

But seems to me that finding something that there are (now) only 3 of is worth a Attaboy! ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

@afford. Yes, understood. I am indeed hoping that interest increases and thus more are found. Not sure which edition of Cherry Picker's first reported it, but it says that the variety was first reported in 1993.

(Actually, I wasn't really searching for it. I was looking for RPD-001.)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 4:39PM
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a pretty neat find. wtg

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowledge is power!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent find. I can see how it could be easily overlooked....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good for you, nice looking coin too.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've enjoyed IHC varieties for years - congrats on the pickup! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is cool!

Thanks clint @yosclimber for the links!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you start a new thread on this?

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

The first attempt to post met with an error message, "try again later". I posted again with no error message, then soon after, the first "aborted" post showed up too. That's why I say, "sorry for the double posting" in the second line of the one of the posts.

I couldn't find a "delete post" feature when it happened? Maybe there is one.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems you found the third and the fourth...

Smitten with DBLCs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file