Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Civil War Token

JcldJcld Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

i know this isn't much of a looker, but I found it in a coffee can full of foreign coins while going through my hoard. it is the first one i have ever seen in hand.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it's common but a cool find in a can of junk.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting relic from the dark days of our nation, when most all coinage was plucked from circulation and hoarded for the collapse of the economy. Even copper cents vanished, and these tokens cropped up by the thousands to facilitate commerce in small trade.
    Maybe you will check out the civil war token society and learn more about this niche of the hobby?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find. What else did you discover?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 4:08AM

fun find, especially in a can of foreign coins.

How did you miss it the first time?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:
    fun find, especially in a can of foreign coins.

How did you miss it the first time?

This is my first pass at all of the foreign coins that I inherited. All of those coins were in shoe boxes and coffee cans, so I am just now going through and trying to identify and sort through them all.

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    Interesting find. What else did you discover?

I am about half way through, there are a ton of large copper pennies from England, and like 40 of those Churchill commemorative coins. Lots of Asian coins that I can't make heads or tails of at the moment, so I am putting them aside for later.

• Options

@DCW said:
    An interesting relic from the dark days of our nation, when most all coinage was plucked from circulation and hoarded for the collapse of the economy. Even copper cents vanished, and these tokens cropped up by the thousands to facilitate commerce in small trade.
    Maybe you will check out the civil war token society and learn more about this niche of the hobby?

I did go there actually and found the die# and a little about the history it is very interesting to me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find... Real history in your hand.... That would be a keeper for me.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I attributed it as 299/350a which is a Rarity 2. If you are interested in Civil War tokens, I would highly recommend joining the Civil War Token Society. It is a great organization. If you would like any more information about the Civil War Token Society, feel free to PM me.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file