Home U.S. Coin Forum

Collin County Coin Club Show

SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 15, 2018 4:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Small report as I wait for the plane to leave! This is a one day show just to the NE side of Dallas. Nice community, suburban. The show was held at a Comfort Inn, in a long conference room. The coin club did a great job of setting up two rows down the length, and tables around the walls. Decent amount of room, good back space for dealers, in general, just a smallish tidy set up. Security was present.

I got there about 815 for the 900 am open. Was set up in about 20 minutes or so; several folks got in much later than me. Got the lights going, had a busted bulb and the promoter secured me a new one. While the doors "opened" at 9, the volume of dealers walking the floor just kinda merged with the open, so it wasnt a "rush." Seemed like there were constantly people circulating in the room, all day! Did a few deals early, the quieted down for a bit. My better half secured us a good carvery roast beast sandwich, Texas style, and a Texas style cuban....tasty.

Thought it died down about 130, then did a few gold deals. Then I thought for sure it was done as some were packing up about 230. I got out from behind the table, grabbed a decent Redfield 65 Morgan, did a sweep and was ready to think about closing. Nope, then a fellar came along and did a complex trade deal, and then saw more stuff and also paid cash. Did a nice chunk of business in the last hour of the show. Good stuff!

Overall, small, well run regional show. I liked it. Comfortable. Lots of talk story. Foot traffic was good. Not a lot of crazy in off the street folks with grandpa's collection, but several smaller ones seemed to walk in from what I observed. Several dealers reported doing lots of business in random coin types that the hadn't seen much action in years....wheat pennies and Indian heads were hot. I sold a fair amount of gold, but mostly to another dealer. GSA CC Morgan's, and CC morgans sold well also. And BU peace dollars, of all things. ASEs and bullion was pretty quickly gone (but I tend to be reasonably priced, not the $4+ over spot that I have been quoted before!)

Great time. I'm glad I went and participated.

Surf (Beachcomber Coins)

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Comments

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Always like good news from a Coin Show...especially when CC Dollars are doing good. Thanks...

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice report.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Glad to hear some of the smaller shows are still doing Ok.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report Surf. Let's see the Redfield Morgan.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good report there Mr. Beachcomber. Average age of attendees? Any keikis?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to read that you made a late deal. You were rewarded for staying late while others had been packing up.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 4:56AM

Usually been a good show, I missed it this time because of other weekend commitments.

Sorry I missed, esp. with a new dealer.

The problem - as a buyer - is most of the dealers are the same bunch as the rest of the DFW show circuit. And some of them have the same old merchandise at the same crazy prices all year.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a very interesting report. CC's always seem to do well... I figured bullion would be moving.... There seems to be a future rise in the works.... No, I do not have a crystal ball... just reading and picking up little hints here and there....Of course, I could be wrong, as I have been in the past :/;) Cheers, RickO

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Usually been a good show, I missed it this time because of other weekend commitments.

Sorry I missed, esp. with a new dealer.

The problem - as a buyer - is most of the dealers are the same bunch as the rest of the DFW show circuit. And some of them have the same old merchandise at the same crazy prices all year.

I’ve heard the same from several folks. Might be why stuff was spoken for kinda quickly!

I’ll post the redfield in the am.

Remnants — Yup, a couple keikis. And several tweeners. The seemed keen on making money!

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Redfield!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file