Home Sports Talk
Options

I'm getting to where I can't take much more of James!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if Arturo performed the anthem.

https://youtu.be/ISMyBvFOxJc

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's your speech? Where's the Sarah Mclaughlin playing in the background while a Pats fan cries for your approval?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about Mickey Mantle using amphetamines? And we all know he wasn't the only one. Also hitters with corked bats, pitchers doctoring the baseball in various ways....chit...this sort of list could fill a book. It's even been rumored that Babe Ruth used horse steroids and considering his phenomenal records and the fact that he died at age 53, an early death being common among steroid users...who knows?

As far as "certain slime"...I'd be sure virtually all NFL fans would love to have their team have that sort of certain slime.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2018 12:38PM

steve most NFL fans conveniently ignore their own team's slime while pointing at NE's. A few comments back John Elway was declared the GOAT yet his only SB wins came when his Broncos were cheating the salary cap then got caught not once but twice with record fines & loss of draft picks. The hypocrisy is hilarious at times.

• Options

@stevek said:
    It's even been rumored that Babe Ruth used horse steroids and considering his phenomenal records and the fact that he died at age 53, an early death being common among steroid users...who knows?

I don't recall War Admiral hitting many home runs.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:
    It's even been rumored that Babe Ruth used horse steroids and considering his phenomenal records and the fact that he died at age 53, an early death being common among steroid users...who knows?

I don't recall War Admiral hitting many home runs.

Actually he did...at stud. LOL

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    steve most NFL fans conveniently ignore their own team's slime while pointing at NE's. A few comments back John Elway was declared the GOAT yet his only SB wins came when his Broncos were cheating the salary cap then got caught not once but twice with record fines & loss of draft picks. The hypocrisy is hilarious at times.

The Flyers had their "Broad Street Bullies" and Philly fans loved 'em, including me and I'm not even a hockey fan. LOL

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Both of those clips were offensive fouls....not a flop by Jordan. What's your point!!

No way that drive by Dumars is an offensive foul - it was a defensive foul on Jordan. He wasn't even close to being in position to draw a charge and Dumars didn't push off.

No, it was a block...Jordan wasn't even close to being set. I'm just saying he didn't flop. He was moving backwards and got hit in the chest. That would knock you on your arse and there is no way to stop the slide or make the slide longer.

In the post I quoted of yours, you said it was an offensive foul, hence my post.

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's a flop but I'm positive it wasn't an offensive foul :)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    @DIMEMAN cmon,dude
    Kareem played until he was 41
    Karl Malone until he was 40
    Kobe until he was 37
    Jordan missed numerous seasons before retiring at 39
    Wilt played till he was 36 and took the most shots per game than anyone in history
    Dirk is 39 and still going

Lebron just turned 33

That's why PPG should mean more.......which Jordan is #1 all time.

• Options

How did Landry cheating and Brady being thrown in with Bonds & Big Mac ever get in this thread!!!???

Good grief!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@erikthredd said:
    @DIMEMAN cmon,dude
    Kareem played until he was 41
    Karl Malone until he was 40
    Kobe until he was 37
    Jordan missed numerous seasons before retiring at 39
    Wilt played till he was 36 and took the most shots per game than anyone in history
    Dirk is 39 and still going

Lebron just turned 33

That's why PPG should mean more.......which Jordan is #1 all time.

lol then why did you post the career points scored stats. hey i'm with you,there is nothing that Lebron can do that will make me rank him ahead of Jordan but he's still a great player. As for the PPG,his game isn't even comparable to Jordan's so i don't see why the PPG should matter. He has more rebounds & assists than Jordan and he's more comparable to Magic than MJ.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think when all is said and done LeBron will be the popular choice as best ever. BTW getting back to the original topic here I feel James gets mugged a lot with no call made because of his strength and ability to maintain his balance.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Brick i highly doubt Lebron would ever be considered the popular choice for best ever,he's really not well-liked by the majority of fans. Also that strength & ability to maintain balance goes both ways when he can put his shoulder down on any drive to the hoop and move the defender off with his body when most other players would get hit with an offensive foul if they did the same. This was Shaq's problem until he turned into a superstar and most calls started going his way.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Brick i highly doubt Lebron would ever be considered the popular choice for best ever,he's really not well-liked by the majority of fans. Also that strength & ability to maintain balance goes both ways when he can put his shoulder down on any drive to the hoop and move the defender off with his body when most other players would get hit with an offensive foul if they did the same. This was Shaq's problem until he turned into a superstar and most calls started going his way.

By the measure of popularity, Magic Johnson should be the GOAT. As fans age and kick off, the perception of best ever will always favor the more recent player which will advantage LeBron and penalize the real GOAT, Wilt.

• Options

Who gets ranked where is nothing more than opinion and there is no way that Lebron ever wins the "people's vote" for best player of all time outside of Cleveland. If you really believe that you haven't been paying attention. He's the only player in the GOAT argument who had to play during the social media era and that has hurt him more than helped. Go to any other basketball site and read the majority of comments bashing the guy. Whether its for how he left Cleveland the first time or how he had to put together an all star team to win or just because of his ego with all of the side drama that comes with,he's just not well liked. He's a great player and deserves to be in the argument but as far as popularity goes,he'll never be on Jordan's level who was a global icon long before the internet & social media came around. You probably missed that because you were boycotting for some random reason.

• Options

I don't watch much sports. The LeBron block on GS two years ago in the finals stands out as a defining GOAT type moment. My memories of MJ are his 2 or 3 step travels as he approached sailing, highlight reel dunks.

Don't think that I would want to sit down and have a beer with either. Shaq or Magic would be my choice. Taking away the fluff and BS though, James seems to be the more complete athlete.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

I don't watch much sports.

yes you do

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 1:13PM

Lebron's block definitely was a GOAT moment but people seem to forget it was Kyrie Irving's 3 that won game 7 for the championship.
    MJ was no angel off the court and probably would have been condemned a million times on twitter like Lebron has but we'll never know.
    I wouldn't say Lebron was the more complete athlete either. Jordan has won MVP & DPOY both and made hangtime an art form. The guy could literally fly at times on the court. It also keeps getting repeated but Lebron's game and Jordan's game were nothing alike. One guy got by on power,the other finesse. One was more a facilitator,the other a finisher.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 1:21PM

@galaxy27 said:

@Coinstartled said:

I don't watch much sports.

yes you do

I follow sports but rarely watch. Maybe 2 hours of the Masters. Two NCAA tournament games and zip in the NFL. Just coming off a 2 decade MLB boycott and the games are unwatchably slow. Computer is a good way to get updated as well as the brilliant observations gleaned from this forum

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

Brady is in a special place with Bond's and McGwire. Great, but with a question mark.

Every man on earth has a question mark next to his "legacy". From presidents, to athletes, to common people like you and me. No one goes to the grave blameless.

Did you ever cheat on your taxes ? Did you ever break the speed limit ?
    If so, then your conduct on your playing field in life has question marks as well.

I find it hilarious how people behind a computer screen pass judgement on others, when their own question marks are there as well.

• Options

James had to be surrounded by other very good players every where he was to win Championships. Jordan won 6 carrying the Bull's. The 2 years in between the 2 3-peats would have also been his had he not left to play Baseball.

• Options

@Exodus said:

@Coinstartled said:

Brady is in a special place with Bond's and McGwire. Great, but with a question mark.

Every man on earth has a question mark next to his "legacy". From presidents, to athletes, to common people like you and me. No one goes to the grave blameless.

Did you ever cheat on your taxes ? Did you ever break the speed limit ?
    If so, then your conduct on your playing field in life has question marks as well.

I find it hilarious how people behind a computer screen pass judgement on others, when their own question marks are there as well.

Sports serve zero purpose than to entertain us. Well they also are a conduit for gambling, but let's consider the former here.

Once the fans stop discussing whether Giancarlo Stanton is a bust or whether Tiger Woods used PED's, then the games become irrelevant and the quarter billion dollar contracts are doomed.

As far as Brady is concerned, no where have I suggested that he be tossed banned from playing or not be enshrined in the HOF. The discussion is as to whether he is the Greatest Of All Time.

On my list he is not as the underinflated ball scandal was a pox on the NFL, compounded by Brady's infant-like cover up, lying and court challenges.

Add to the mix the repeated rules violations by Belichick and you have an organization that leaves a trail of suspicion unbefitting the so called dynasty of the last 2 decades.

Want to tell me that Babe Ruth was taking horse drugs and George Brett put pine tar on his bat...that weakens the strength of an already losing hand.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 3:04PM

@Coinstartled said:
    Once the fans stop discussing whether Giancarlo Stanton is a bust or whether Tiger Woods used PED's, then the games become irrelevant and the quarter billion dollar contracts are doomed.

That's where you're wrong,real fans watch for the enjoyment of the game and could really care less for all the hot takes on sports blogs. You say you don't watch sports so obviously you don't get it.
    Its our love for the sports that bring us to watch them,talk about them & collect sports related items.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Coinstartled said:

That's where you're wrong,real fans watch for the enjoyment of the game and could really care less for all the hot takes on sports blogs. You say you don't watch sports so obviously you don't get it.
    Its our love for the sports that bring us to watch them,talk about them & collect sports related items.

....and cover up for scoundrels. That's ok, some think that OJ didn't do it!

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 3:19PM

OJ has nothing to do with this conversation and if you're insinuating that Brady is a scoundrel on OJ's level for not handing over a cell phone i suggest getting off the internet and getting out more.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    OJ has nothing to do with this conversation and if you're insinuating that Brady is a scoundrel on OJ's level for not handing over a cell phone i suggest getting off the internet and getting out more.

Boy, talk about the haters! Geeze!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    James had to be surrounded by other very good players every where he was to win Championships. Jordan won 6 carrying the Bull's. The 2 years in between the 2 3-peats would have also been his had he not left to play Baseball.

LOL. Yeah, Jordan had no help. Yeah, he didn't have a "NBA Top 50" guy as his teammate - the same guy who led those Jordan-less Bulls to a 55 wins after Jordan quit.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 4:07PM

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

LOL. Yeah, Jordan had no help. Yeah, he didn't have a "NBA Top 50" guy as his teammate - the same guy who led those Jordan-less Bulls to a 55 wins after Jordan quit.

Yeah using that Pippen led team as an example probably wasn't a good choice seeing that Scottie took himself out of a playoff game that year in the closing seconds when he found out he wasn't taking the last shot. That team was nowhere close to being comparable to a Jordan led team. Pippen was a great sidekick but proved he couldn't be "the" guy when it came down to it.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

No no...Brady is a scoundrel on a much more pedestrian level. OJ example was to demonstrate the blind spots that sports fans show for their heroes. Killer Ray Lewis became the toast of Baltimore as his defensive prowess overshadowed his sinister past. One has to look no further than this forum to see those that defend dirt bag Joe Paterno.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 4:18PM

All Star teammates that played on the same team with Jordan or Lebron the same year making the AS game:
    Jordan: Pippen

Lebron: Wade,Bosh,Kyrie,Love,Ilgauskas,Mo Williams

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@erikthredd said:

No no...Brady is a scoundrel on a much more pedestrian level. OJ example was to demonstrate the blind spots that sports fans show for their heroes. Killer Ray Lewis became the toast of Baltimore as his defensive prowess overshadowed his sinister past. One has to look no further than this forum to see those that defend dirt bag Joe Paterno.

The day you see me defend OJ,Ray Lewis or Joe Paterno feel free to call me out on it but till then take your hypocritical sanctimonius spiel elsewhere.

• Options

Zoooooommmmmmm!!!!!!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Zoooooommmmmmm!!!!!!

That's the sound the cars make as the speed over your bridge.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yeah using that Pippen led team as an example probably wasn't a good choice seeing that Scottie took himself out of a playoff game that year in the closing seconds when he found out he wasn't taking the last shot. That team was nowhere close to being comparable to a Jordan led team. Pippen was a great sidekick but proved he couldn't be "the" guy when it came down to it.

Eh. He had one shot at it, won 55 games, put up 22/8.7/5.6, while leading a team that lost its best player 4 weeks before the start of the season. No, they didn't win a title or anything, but they did a lot better than expected.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2018 5:51PM

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Eh. He had one shot at it, won 55 games, put up 22/8.7/5.6, while leading a team that lost its best player 4 weeks before the start of the season. No, they didn't win a title or anything, but they did a lot better than expected.

They had a great coaching staff & a roster that had just won 3 straight titles,they finished where they should have with a solid regular season and first round series win then done in round 2. The Bulls also had three All Stars that year with Pippen,Grant & Armstrong.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2018 11:54PM

@DIMEMAN said:
    James had to be surrounded by other very good players every where he was to win Championships. Jordan won 6 carrying the Bull's.

Didn’t a guy named Pippen play on try Bulls during this era? He was voted a top 50 player of all- time.

But in general James has had more to work with. I think it’s part of the reason he hasn’t taken the number of shots Michael took per game

Whoops so just saw my man Tabe address this with a counter by Erik

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......