Home Precious Metals

Gold or Silver

Which is a better deal. Buying 90% silver @ 12 x face or modern gold Commems @ spot

Comments

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

You will have an easier time selling the silver when the time comes as the audience is much larger. That is what I would choose.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the silver is harder to store, a lot of weight. I would go with the gold but would rather have $10 liberty's that you can sometimes get for close to spot or $10 Indians. I expect gold to go up Monday morning, as well as silver

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

All depends on your goals.

At the current GSR most would agree that silver is the better value but as mentioned above eventually weight and storage becomes an issue. If you plan to be a life long stacker gold should be the end goal so you should keep that in mind.

From my own personal experience 90% silver is right up there as the most liquid of all metal to move, always easy to find a buyer willing to pay spot and depending on the market (Y2K, 2008-11 financial collapse etc.) can become hard to find and starts commanding a hefty premiums. I've had gold commems and always was eventually able to move them but even finding buyers willing to offer spot was a bit of a chore. I like the pre33 as @coinpalice mentions but if I had to chose between the 2 choices you present it would be the 90% all day everyday.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both ;)

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern commems? I'd take the junk silver. However classic gold at spot (if you can get that) then I would take the gold.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My choice would be the gold at spot....unless you do not have any silver. Cheers, RickO

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 7:43PM

Gold if you were buying it from Bulllion exchanges today as they have the 2006 PROOF gold buffaloes at $30 over spot!
    Shipped.
    With Check.
    Damn.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both if buying right....

Hoard the keys.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that your choice depends on how much of each you already have and what percentage of each you are targeting as an intermediate-to-longterm hold. Because of silver's bulk, once you reach a certain point, it gets cumbersome to keep stacking silver unless you have a good place to keep it that is both secure and cheap.

From an accounting standpoint, it's easier to track bigger chunks of value that can be subdivided and given a standard cost for selling them piecemeal later on if need be. That's why I like to save up enough dollars until I can buy a larger chunk which becomes a single line item on my spreadsheet instead of buying 25 separate smaller items that all have to be tracked individually until I end up selling them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes both :)

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said this before, As far as strickly stacking bullion is concerned I don't think you can go wrong buying modern $5 commemoratives at spot. You can sell them all day long at 2% under if you need the funds. Where else can you trade in precious metals at a 2% margin? If just starting your stacking it's not a bad idea to have some 90% silver also. So..... both.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i think it should be balanced out, example, have 100,000 in silver and 100,000 gold. right now I am heavy silver, so i'm currently buying gold to get the 50-50 ratio

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is much bulkier and comm. gold is not much in demand other than bullion. Dealers will usually pay a discount below spot for comm. That being said, I still like gold !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018 2:59PM

Silver!! I believe green energy is our future and silver is a major component used in solar panels.

Although gold may be in demand, but it's more than plenty for us to use. Silver on the other hand isn't enough to power up half of our world.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I'm going to wait and try to buy pre33 as close to spot as I can. I figure that way I'm killing 2 birds - getting a nice early american coin and also stacking some gold.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yacorie1 said:
    I'm going to wait and try to buy pre33 as close to spot as I can. I figure that way I'm killing 2 birds - getting a nice early american coin and also stacking some gold.

Great plan imo, trick is finding at or near spot. Patience usually pay off. Premiums are the lowest they have been in a decade and if you shop ebay / receive and use bonus bucks you can ultimately have for under spot.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2018 5:01PM

@jmski52 said:
    I'd say that your choice depends on how much of each you already have and what percentage of each you are targeting as an intermediate-to-longterm hold. Because of silver's bulk, once you reach a certain point, it gets cumbersome to keep stacking silver unless you have a good place to keep it that is both secure and cheap.

From an accounting standpoint, it's easier to track bigger chunks of value that can be subdivided and given a standard cost for selling them piecemeal later on if need be. That's why I like to save up enough dollars until I can buy a larger chunk which becomes a single line item on my spreadsheet instead of buying 25 separate smaller items that all have to be tracked individually until I end up selling them.

accounting as a hobby? :D serious question , why track any of it? stack it in then later stack it out

@Yacorie1 said:

provident had some 5$ libertys cleaned or polished last week at an ok price

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

_accounting as a hobby? serious question , why track any of it? stack it in then later stack it out

Accounting isn't my favorite thing in the world, and I don't know how you manage your tax liabilities but I simply refuse to get hung out to dry someday because I don't have a record of my transactions. How do YOU figure gains & losses? I do it the old fashioned way, I keep receipts and a spreadsheet.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 7:47AM

Spot is a better deal than a premium to spot. See Spot run.

@jmski52 said:
    _accounting as a hobby? serious question , why track any of it? stack it in then later stack it out

Accounting isn't my favorite thing in the world, and I don't know how you manage your tax liabilities but I simply refuse to get hung out to dry someday because I don't have a record of my transactions. How do YOU figure gains & losses? I do it the old fashioned way, I keep receipts and a spreadsheet.

I made a point to keep excellent records of what I paid for the ancient sailboat that all my metal went down on. I'm a little fuzzy about the location of the wreck , my sextant was damaged while I was practicing my juggling act.