Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

4SC eBay Auctions

jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like 4SC has started doing actual auctions starting at $.99. My guess is that they are trying to move inventory that they have had for a while.
James

Correct link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/4_sharp_corners/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Time to pick up that 1984 Topps Darryl Strawberry I always dreamed of owning.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this will start a trend that will continue with most of their inventory.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@divecchia said:
    Hopefully this will start a trend that will continue with most of their inventory.

Donato

Check a few cards on ebay, and then check their site. I looked at 5 or 6. They have "duplicate" cards with the same grade and different serial numbers for every one I checked. I don't know what they are up to, but these cards on ebay are not on their site, BUT they do have the same cards with the same grades for sale on their site. Funny stuff.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a different note, but pertaining to 4SC, is there a way to see the actual item you purchased from the 4sc website? I purchased a couple of PSA 9 Fleer stickers when they had the 20% of and the when I got them the Olajuwon is a shade of brown/yellow I have never seen before. The border is so very discolored that I have no idea how it garnered a 9. I sure don't recall it looking like that in the pic but when I look at the invoice and my account it just shows the item and not the pic of the card. I called and talked to customer service but the lady said she couldn't find the pic of the card and would have a manager call me back. I have not heard back from them and that was 2 days ago. I know they don't accept returns on graded cards but I don't think this is the actual card from the pic. If it is, fine, I'll sell it and pick up another one I'm happy with, but if not, I think it would only be fair if they replaced it.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

some of those 10's look iffy. don't get me wrong, ive bought some nice cards from them before, but some of those corners don't look as good as expected. also, funny how many of their cards already have a lot of bids already.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    On a different note, but pertaining to 4SC, is there a way to see the actual item you purchased from the 4sc website? I purchased a couple of PSA 9 Fleer stickers when they had the 20% of and the when I got them the Olajuwon is a shade of brown/yellow I have never seen before. The border is so very discolored that I have no idea how it garnered a 9. I sure don't recall it looking like that in the pic but when I look at the invoice and my account it just shows the item and not the pic of the card. I called and talked to customer service but the lady said she couldn't find the pic of the card and would have a manager call me back. I have not heard back from them and that was 2 days ago. I know they don't accept returns on graded cards but I don't think this is the actual card from the pic. If it is, fine, I'll sell it and pick up another one I'm happy with, but if not, I think it would only be fair if they replaced it.

Check completed listings on eBay maybe? They may be there even if you bought direct from their site.

• Options

@rcmb3220 said:

Check completed listings on eBay maybe? They may be there even if you bought direct from their site.

Both I and the lady from customer service looked in completed and it wasn't there. I was pretty sure the one they had listed on Ebay was the same as the one I purchased on the website but was not the one I received.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

I would guess they have so many copies of most of those cards that are listed that it just makes sense to move a few. And listing a large group at once is probably safe enough that they won't fall through the cracks so a pretty easy way to turnover inventory

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 5:13PM

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Check a few cards on ebay, and then check their site. I looked at 5 or 6. They have "duplicate" cards with the same grade and different serial numbers for every one I checked. I don't know what they are up to, but these cards on ebay are not on their site, BUT they do have the same cards with the same grades for sale on their site. Funny stuff.

I'm sure they have many duplicate cards with same grade and different certs. Not sure why that seems funny or odd.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2018 6:02PM

@dictoresno said:
    funny how many of their cards already have a lot of bids already.

You aint kidding; I ran 306 PSA cards last week; maybe 1/2 or less than 1/2 sold; and most didn't even have a single bid until a week went by. and I was doing free shipping; their charging $6. I guess maybe that's the secret.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options

@tonylags said:

@dictoresno said:
    funny how many of their cards already have a lot of bids already.

You aint kidding; I ran 306 PSA cards last week; maybe 1/2 or less than 1/2 sold; and most didn't even have a single bid until a week went by. and I was doing free shipping; their charging $6. I guess maybe that's the secret.

They probably have a slightly larger customer base than you do, also.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

Donato

Lols like the auctions are here to stay. This was part of the email I got from 4SC on 4/4/18.

Auctions are BACK!!
    Remember, our weekly auctions kick off later tonight.
    This will be our first auction in years and will consist of over
    250 PRE-War cards including rarities. Auctions will continue every
    Wednesday so make sure to check back!

• Options
    edited April 12, 2018 7:26PM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@rcmb3220 said:

Both I and the lady from customer service looked in completed and it wasn't there. I was pretty sure the one they had listed on Ebay was the same as the one I purchased on the website but was not the one I received.

Hmm. I was going to say to check completed listings too. Should have been on there. I have never had one that was not.

Hopefully you can get this squared away. I always save the seller pics when I buy a card. Once you place the order on the 4SC website their pics are gone.

I was able to get them once after the fact by contacting customer service.

• Options

My invoice lists it as 2535056 - 1986 FLEER STICKER #9 AKEEM OLAJUWON RC HOF PSA 9 K2535056-453 but I don't find that in completed auctions. I believe the one that I purchased on the website was 1986 FLEER STICKER #9 AKEEM OLAJUWON RC HOF PSA 9 K2568355-397 which is currently on Ebay.

• Options

Here is a scan of the actual card I received. I can guarantee I would not click "buy" even with the 20% discount. The discoloration is even worse in person.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call them again and let them know it is not the card that was pictured and that you aren't happy with the card with the card you received.
    James

• Options
    OzcelticsOzceltics Posts: 27 ✭✭

And recently graded in the new slip too, that’s not a nice color!

• Options

@grote15 said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

I'm sure they have many duplicate cards with same grade and different certs. Not sure why that seems funny or odd.

The poster I was responding to was wondering if this(ebay auction) was how they were going to shift to moving their inventory on their website. I was pointing out that these cards on ebay aren't the inventory from their website. What is humorous to me, is that they are offering a card in "PSA 10" as an auction on ebay, while at the same time offering the same card in "PSA 10" on their website at a set price. Only one method yields the higher price.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@grote15 said:

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

The poster I was responding to was wondering if this(ebay auction) was how they were going to shift to moving their inventory on their website. I was pointing out that these cards on ebay aren't the inventory from their website. What is humorous to me, is that they are offering a card in "PSA 10" as an auction on ebay, while at the same time offering the same card in "PSA 10" on their website at a set price. Only one method yields the higher price.

No way to know which option yields the higher price till the auction has concluded. How many times have we seen an auction hammer at a price higher than a BIN price, or lower for that matter? I think you are searching for an angle that simply isn't there.

• Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Maybe they are using the auctions to set their new "market rates" for the their fixed price cards.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local card shop also has an online presence on eBay. Most every item in his eBay store is a BIN price originally at 20-30 percent higher than his store price. He'll continually lower the eBay price until either it sells, or it reaches the level of the in-store price. At that point, he converts it to an auction with 99 cent starting bid and he knows for sure it will be gone in a week. This is just common sense business practice. Turnover on the stale items, generate cash flow, and bring many eyes to your items for sale. 4SC is just doing the same thing, but operating on a much larger scale. I don't see anything unusual taking place at all.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 6:58AM

@minnesotahusker said:
    Maybe they are using the auctions to set their new "market rates" for the their fixed price cards.

4SC's whole thing has been to be able charge less than the going market rates thru their website and its probably built them a fairly large customer base. it wouldn't make sense for them to raise their fixed prices because at that point they're no different than the rest.

If all the 4SC submission size rumors we hear about here are true they must have tons of duplicate grades waiting to be sold. That's probably just what these auctions are and nothing more.
    As for the comment above about offering a PSA 10 for auction while offering the same PSA 10 on their website with one possibly landing a higher price than the other,that is exactly what they've been doing for years. They've offered the same cards on both ebay & website with their website mostly selling for less everytime. Even more when you factor in their occasional discounts.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be wrong but isn't 4SC one of the companies who has a ridiculous bulk deal with PSA wherein their cards are graded for like 1-2 per, for 'building the registry' purposes.

If so, that might explain some of the things we are seeing. For example, if I had multiple copies of a card in 9-10 range, I'd probably auction off the ones that have lower eye appeal and slap a price tag on and list in the store those that present best.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Anybody win anything and not get tracking yet? Not concerned since it’s only been since Wednesday but they marked it shipped pretty quickly.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I hardly if ever get any tracking info with them when I purchase something. I’ve only received tracking when it was a high dollar item, (I believe over 500.00?). Though this was with BIN’s, maybe they will provide it with their auctions.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sucks about the Olajuwon. One of the things I love about 4SC is that they show you the exact card you're going to be getting. That's tough to do with the volume they deal with. But it's nice because if I don't particularly like the 10 they have up I just wait for it to sell and see what the next one looks like. Anybody notice all the bid retractions going on with all these auctions? It was bananas. People with 800 bid retractions bidding cards up and then retracting their bids.

Arthur

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    That sucks about the Olajuwon. One of the things I love about 4SC is that they show you the exact card you're going to be getting. That's tough to do with the volume they deal with. But it's nice because if I don't particularly like the 10 they have up I just wait for it to sell and see what the next one looks like. Anybody notice all the bid retractions going on with all these auctions? It was bananas. People with 800 bid retractions bidding cards up and then retracting their bids.

Arthur

I’m with you Arthur. Some of their 10’s are “sliders”, and if it’s a card I need with a fairly high pop, I’ll wait for it to sell in hopes that a nicer copy will be offered next. I would love to spend a day at their facility shopping and “sorting through 10’s” lol...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

In fairness to them, I think they have a better understanding of what centering qualifies than the average collector. I think most collectors eyeball the centering and are looking for good eye appeal. A 60/40 centering can seem both inconsequential and grossly off-centered depending on the design of the issue. I think 4SC knows when a card qualifies that most of us would eyeball and think it doesn't even have a chance and would never even submit. Thus, resulting in a lot of the 10s that people complain about. I'm sure there's a technical term for this effect but I'm not an educated man.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    In fairness to them, I think they have a better understanding of what centering qualifies than the average collector. I think most collectors eyeball the centering and are looking for good eye appeal. A 60/40 centering can seem both inconsequential and grossly off-centered depending on the design of the issue. I think 4SC knows when a card qualifies that most of us would eyeball and think it doesn't even have a chance and would never even submit. Thus, resulting in a lot of the 10s that people complain about. I'm sure there's a technical term for this effect but I'm not an educated man.

Arthur

Certainly could be the case.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Have you noticed that 4SC's have removed their logo from their BIN's? What would be the reason behind that?

• Options

Got my card on Monday. Still shows no tracking. I don’t know why they’d do that, although it does have tracking so they must have some record of it.

• Options

They must be having "issues" due to volume or something. I purchased something last week from their website and haven't gotten the shipping notification yet when its typically no longer than 3 days before you get that email. I wonder if they have been sent and no notice was sent, or if it really hasn't been mailed yet?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Have you noticed that 4SC's have removed their logo from their BIN's? What would be the reason behind that?

Are you sure it was a 4SC listing?
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&LH_BIN=1&_ssn=4_sharp_corners&_sop=10

• Options

I had made dozens of purchases from directly from the 4SC website, and all at least at whatever the minimum threshold was to get the free shipping included. For the first several years, I always received a courtesy email with the tracking information. Then, at some point, they stopped sending me that information. The boxes would just randomly show up at my home. I never really had any high dollar items ordered, and never had any issues with items going missing, so kind of shrugged it off.

Then, about 2 years ago, I was victimized for the first time by porch pirates. It was not a 4SC item that was stolen, but you know, once bitten, twice shy. So, I proceeded to have an email exchange with 4SC about what steps that I needed to take to ensure that my future purchases would also have tracking information passed along to me. It was really an awkward exchange, as their responses seemed to be disjointed from my actual inquiries. After 4 or 5 back and forth emails, with no acceptable response, I dug out all of whatever boxes that I'd kept (for my own future mailing needs), laid them in the floor, and took a photo. Dozens of boxes, with a pre-printed priority mailing label, WITH TRACKING, with my address and 4SC clearly on the label. I sent that photo, with one question, "Again, I clearly am already ordering at a threshold that my packages receive tracking, multiple times, yet I am never made aware of this information. What do I need to do on my end to ensure that this information is indeed passed along to me, from you?" I never received an adequate response.

I truly have no idea why this was an issue for me, beginning several years ago, and your issue has only come to light with your recent purchases. I probably haven't gotten tracking for my 4SC purchases, at all, for at least 3 years now, even though every single purchase has been sent by them with the tracking barcode clearly printed on the label. I've just chalked it up as a known idiosyncrasy, or risk of doing business with them. I can tell you, though, that certainly the amount and frequency of my purchases have plummeted because of their inability, or reluctance, to take an extra minute on my order to send me the tracking info.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@ElvisP said:

Are you sure it was a 4SC listing?
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&LH_BIN=1&_ssn=4_sharp_corners&_sop=10

Well I guess not. :)

• Options

I don't recall getting tracking for website orders unless it was over a certain amount.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I had made dozens of purchases from directly from the 4SC website, and all at least at whatever the minimum threshold was to get the free shipping included. For the first several years, I always received a courtesy email with the tracking information. Then, at some point, they stopped sending me that information. The boxes would just randomly show up at my home. I never really had any high dollar items ordered, and never had any issues with items going missing, so kind of shrugged it off.

Then, about 2 years ago, I was victimized for the first time by porch pirates. It was not a 4SC item that was stolen, but you know, once bitten, twice shy. So, I proceeded to have an email exchange with 4SC about what steps that I needed to take to ensure that my future purchases would also have tracking information passed along to me. It was really an awkward exchange, as their responses seemed to be disjointed from my actual inquiries. After 4 or 5 back and forth emails, with no acceptable response, I dug out all of whatever boxes that I'd kept (for my own future mailing needs), laid them in the floor, and took a photo. Dozens of boxes, with a pre-printed priority mailing label, WITH TRACKING, with my address and 4SC clearly on the label. I sent that photo, with one question, "Again, I clearly am already ordering at a threshold that my packages receive tracking, multiple times, yet I am never made aware of this information. What do I need to do on my end to ensure that this information is indeed passed along to me, from you?" I never received an adequate response.

I truly have no idea why this was an issue for me, beginning several years ago, and your issue has only come to light with your recent purchases. I probably haven't gotten tracking for my 4SC purchases, at all, for at least 3 years now, even though every single purchase has been sent by them with the tracking barcode clearly printed on the label. I've just chalked it up as a known idiosyncrasy, or risk of doing business with them. I can tell you, though, that certainly the amount and frequency of my purchases have plummeted because of their inability, or reluctance, to take an extra minute on my order to send me the tracking info.

If you have an account set up, when you log in it shows your previous orders and the most recent have the tracking info.

My Account
    Past Orders
    Invoice # Order Date Total Status

Under status it will show shipped with the tracking number.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I dont receive email updates with tracking, every purchase through their website has tracking showing when you log into your account.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

Tracking numbers only show for me on the website when my order is more than $100. Everyone less than $100 does not have tracking.

• Options

Every single one of my purchases up until about 3 years ago would be accompanied by a courtesy email with the tracking information. Then, it abruptly stopped.

Every single purchase from 3 years ago to now has still been shipped with a tracking number and barcode on the label, but the information was never passed along to me. The package would just show up randomly, with no forewarning.

If it is as easy to find this tracking info as you say it is by simply logging into my account, then that seems like the obvious answer I should have received from 4SC upon my initial inquiry, and then the several back and forth exchanges with them. I will look into what you've indicated upon my next purchase with them. Thanks.

• Options

I always purchase in excess of $100 per order.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2018 7:35PM

@countdouglas said:
    I always purchase in excess of $100 per order.

Yes, there should be tracking if your order is >$100. On their website, click on your order under past orders, then go right above the “Invoice Items” grey bar, far right will be the tracking number.

I agree though, customer service is rarely willing to assist with my questions. They will answer, but typically don’t have an actual answer. I think their customer service has no actual access to the cards.

• Options

From what people have described as their experience with CS, it sounds like they may use a "Pat Live" type of service. If you are not familiar with that company, its a "professional answering service" who answers the phone(or responds to emails) in the name of the company you contacted, but they are just a third party "live answering machine" that takes a message for the actual company. It becomes obvious when the person you ask for is never there, nobody else is available to answer the question and they themselves can not answer your question. They may or may not use a third party service, but it sure sounds like the CS definitely doesn't have much contact with the actual guys who list the cards and fill the orders.

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    From what people have described as their experience with CS, it sounds like they may use a "Pat Live" type of service. If you are not familiar with that company, its a "professional answering service" who answers the phone(or responds to emails) in the name of the company you contacted, but they are just a third party "live answering machine" that takes a message for the actual company. It becomes obvious when the person you ask for is never there, nobody else is available to answer the question and they themselves can not answer your question. They may or may not use a third party service, but it sure sounds like the CS definitely doesn't have much contact with the actual guys who list the cards and fill the orders.

They don't use that.

Arthur

• Options

My experience with 4SC customer service was entirely by email. As I stated earlier, all of my purchases were at the level that they were being shipped by 4SC with tracking included, it's just that the courtesy emails with this information stopped being passed on to me around 3 years ago. For a year or so, I didn't even care. Big shrug. Once I'd experienced package theft, I wanted to be a little more diligent about being aware of when my packages were arriving. I don't want to rehash the whole back and forth, but basically, I was inquiring, "Hey, my packages already have tracking on them, so how do I get that info for myself so I can either be home, or make arrangements?" The responses were never easy and straightforward as indicated by the other members here. It was as if the responses were generated by a part time after school employee who was listening to their earbuds while also playing video games and carrying on a group text conversation with their friends. Just weird responses that never really addressed the question.

After a few days, I decided I was spending more time on this than it was worth, and went on with my life. I've certainly reduced my purchase frequency and dollars spent with 4SC since then, but that is more attributed to the fact that I've since completed a couple of registry sets I was working on, and have been more focused on raw 60s sets the last couple of years. I'm now signed up for USPS Informed Delivery, so any packages shipped with tracking automatically show up on my dashboard there, so I hadn't really paid any more mind to what 4SC was doing with my tracking info on their end. I just shrugged it off as to their way of handling their business. I haven't worried one second about it since enrolling in USPS Informed Delivery.

The only reason that I brought up my situation in this thread is because of the shared experience with some of the other posters. I'm no longer personally concerned with 4SC sharing with me the tracking info directly. I will certainly look into the remedies suggested in this thread, just to see if the answer was really that simple. If so, that should have been a one sentence answer to my original email inquiry with 4SC. Thanks for all the helpful members here.

By the way, USPS Informed Delivery, for those of you that have not signed up, I highly recommend it.