Home Metal Detecting

overdone penny collection

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

have a pail of pennies from change , gutters, parking lots , parks and various other places.. one day am going to have to take em to a coin machine to get them converted, but the pail is getting too heavy to lift.. ill load a pic in tomorow of said pail. lool

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crusty one's will hit the reject slot.... unless you run them through a cleaning operation first...Sounds like quite a large quantity...Cheers, RickO

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

all are clean no crusty cept for a few that are tarnished..and yes its a large quantity, the pail is 1 ft tall and 3/4 ft wide

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

keep us posted on how much you get. dont get hurt moving it

edited April 9, 2018 6:01PM

thanks am in midst of rolling them, so ill post when am done. the coin machine by me charges..so ill use my bank and get it done free

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now could there be an error coin hidden in plain sight waiting to be found? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Make a list of dates that are of value so as you roll them, you can set them aside for further scrutiny. Cheers, RickO

good idea , ill have to check what years ive got in this pail

edited April 10, 2018 5:51PM

finally finished going through the pail.. have $31.23
    found some coins though that i figure id better pull out from the pail, also found 2 coins but am not sure if they are minting errors . one has a ring cut through the leaves and the other is a penny that looks like its half copper half steel

indian pennies : 1882 , 1885 , 1893 , 1895 ,1903 , 1904 ,1907
    wheat pennies : 1941 , 1942 , 1945 , 1955 , 1956
    canadian pennies: 1940 , 1941 , 1943 , 1944 , 1945 , 1947 , 1950 , 1951 , 1952 , 1954

Great that you found IHC's...that 'coin'that looks half copper half silver looks like a foreign coin, not a cent....Cheers, RickO

thanks . i wasnt sure what was in the pail. and the other side of the 1/2 copper 1/2 silver says 2004 1 cent canada and shows a little of the silver through the copper.. any idea on the cent with the circle through the leaf?

The one with the circle through the leaf appears to be a stain of some sort... cannot tell much from the picture, however, it is of no added value since it is definitely PMD (Post Mint Damage). Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still save the 90% coppers.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

ty for the help on the ring penny.. am still stumped on whats happened to the other penny that seems to be missing its copper

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could have been exposed to heat. Can the indentation be seen in reverse? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

no ring on the reverse just the leaves

@slimies .... Did you check that 'missing copper' coin to be sure it is a cent? Really looks like a foreign coin... Cheers, RickO

i loaded a photo of the other side.. its the photo just above, the 2004 1 cent, there is copper missing off the side and on the word canada

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Canadian cent looks like it has been painted or varnished at some point. I find coins on football fields that have white paint on them from striping the field and other colors from painting the end zones.

that could explain it.. ive seen red, blue and green quarters that have been painted