Home Sports Talk
Options

Just Wow. May whatever higher power they have, have mercy on their souls.

13»

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BALROG said:
    "Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......"

What I know as just a common man would NOT be peter gazing enough to try and count the coins in some frilly dudes pocket. Understood though on the point and fully supported but.. having a sigline admitting it ? man.

You got the thread to 100. Have some warm milk and take a nap.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want a degree with "no fluff", go to a trade school. 4-year degrees are not, and never have been, solely designed for the purpose of directing someone into a job. The philosophy has always been to develop a well-rounded, educated individual with a breadth of knowledge on a variety of subjects.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 6:30AM

@Tabe said:
    If you want a degree with "no fluff", go to a trade school. 4-year degrees are not, and never have been, solely designed for the purpose of directing someone into a job. The philosophy has always been to develop a well-rounded, educated individual with a breadth of knowledge on a variety of subjects.

Well it used to be , now the philosophy is to lock people into a student loan and give them very little in return

• Options

@Tabe said:

4 year degree was a luxury two generations ago and a necessity today. You are a Michigan man, Tabe and you know that the days of walking into a GM plant at 18 and getting a lifetime cradle to grave sustainable compensation package is a relic of history.

Knocking out a year of non core studies saves the student and his family $25k or more and gets him into the career type work place 12 months earlier. Moves graduate school up a year as well if that is his choice.

Offer the 4 year package to those that want it, but I expect that it would be ignored by most.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be incorrect on this, but I'm pretty sure a student can do a normal 4 year college degree into 3 years if they so choose. They just need to take extra courses each semester or trimester, and thus graduate quicker.

Perhaps the college fees would remain the same, but at least a years' worth of housing fees and other costs would be reduced.

It's not easy to take extra courses, especially when tests come on the same day, etc. Penn State was on a trimester, and my final spring there I needed five courses worth of credits to graduate on time. I didn't feel like going to school in the Summer or back again in the Fall, I was chomping at the bit to get into the workplace and make money, so i took all five, and that wasn't easy...took away from a lot of my partying time that's for sure - LOL

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I could be incorrect on this, but I'm pretty sure a student can do a normal 4 year college degree into 3 years if they so choose. They just need to take extra courses each semester or trimester, and thus graduate quicker.

Perhaps the college fees would remain the same, but at least a years' worth of housing fees and other costs would be reduced.

It's not easy to take extra courses, especially when tests come on the same day, etc. Penn State was on a trimester, and my final spring there I needed five courses worth of credits to graduate on time. I didn't feel like going to school in the Summer or back again in the Fall, I was chomping at the bit to get into the workplace and make money, so i took all five, and that wasn't easy...took away from a lot of my partying time that's for sure - LOL

I had a cousin that completed 4 years in 3 at U.C.L.A., but she was extra smart (valedictorian) and didn't party.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

I had a cousin that completed 4 years in 3 at U.C.L.A., but she was extra smart (valedictorian) and didn't party.

Well if anyone wishes to avoid all that college or trade school learning crap, all ya really gotta do is learn to play the guitar and write a few hit songs...or become a stand-up comedian, get noticed, and next thing ya know you've got a hit TV sitcom...or perhaps something such as simply designing a computer operating system better than Microsoft or Apple and become rich that way, then you could buy yourself a college and give yourself any sort of degree that ya want. LOL

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

4 year degree was a luxury two generations ago and a necessity today. You are a Michigan man, Tabe and you know that the days of walking into a GM plant at 18 and getting a lifetime cradle to grave sustainable compensation package is a relic of history.

This is where I insert my rant about how too many people are going to college, that college degrees have been significantly devalued, and are often a waste of money. I remember a couple years ago seeing an ad in the paper for a secretary/office admin-type job and they wanted a 4-year degree for it. Seriously? There's literally nothing about that job that necessitates a degree.

No, what we've gotten to is that the degree has replaced the high school diploma as a basic bar of entry to most jobs.

In addition to that, colleges have lowered the difficulty of their degrees in order to get more students through. They've almost had to. since high schools have done the same thing with their curriculums. So you end up kids in college that aren't truly prepared and colleges dumbing themselves down to meet that new population of student instead of demanding that students rise up to a higher standard.

Mixed in with that is the overabundance of easy loan money designed to lock students into a lifetime of debt combined with colleges that have no incentive to lower their fees and prices. So you have too many students with access to too much money going to college to get degrees that are too easy and too devalued.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

This is where I insert my rant about how too many people are going to college, that college degrees have been significantly devalued, and are often a waste of money. I remember a couple years ago seeing an ad in the paper for a secretary/office admin-type job and they wanted a 4-year degree for it. Seriously? There's literally nothing about that job that necessitates a degree.

No, what we've gotten to is that the degree has replaced the high school diploma as a basic bar of entry to most jobs.

In addition to that, colleges have lowered the difficulty of their degrees in order to get more students through. They've almost had to. since high schools have done the same thing with their curriculums. So you end up kids in college that aren't truly prepared and colleges dumbing themselves down to meet that new population of student instead of demanding that students rise up to a higher standard.

Mixed in with that is the overabundance of easy loan money designed to lock students into a lifetime of debt combined with colleges that have no incentive to lower their fees and prices. So you have too many students with access to too much money going to college to get degrees that are too easy and too devalued.

I think there is something to this rant.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

I agree and I disagree. Agreed college is devalued. However, that has made it a necessity for a lot of jobs that shouldn't require a degree. You'd be amazed at how many college degrees, and advanced degrees, I get applying for secretary jobs though I don't mention college.

As to high school I think high school today is much harder than when I went 30+ years ago. My kids school is much harder than I experienced. Grades are inflated but it's legitimately harder and I went to a very high level academic school. Just my observations so small sample study.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

At a public school in California you have to work your butt off to graduate in 4 years. Yes, some kids come in with AP classes and do it in 4 but the norm is 5+ years. Especially at the CSU's which I believe are the largest public school system in the country. That's one of the biggest selling points of private schools is that they graduate you in 4 years.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 9:09PM

I spent 250K to send my son to the University of Michigan from out of state. I wish he could of graduated in 2 years. He wishes he was still there

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Harbaugh wishes he could play quarterback.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

As to high school I think high school today is much harder than when I went 30+ years ago. My kids school is much harder than I experienced. Grades are inflated but it's legitimately harder and I went to a very high level academic school. Just my observations so small sample study.

I will say that my observations differ from yours. I can honestly say that nothing I've seen from the high schools attended by nieces and nephews (some of which are considered absolutely top-flight schools) would be remotely challenging for me, unlike what I experienced at my own high school 30 years ago.

In either case, high school used to be (going back 6-8 decades or more) HARD. It's nowhere near that now.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2018 7:35AM

@Tabe said:

@larryallen73 said:

I will say that my observations differ from yours. I can honestly say that nothing I've seen from the high schools attended by nieces and nephews (some of which are considered absolutely top-flight schools) would be remotely challenging for me, unlike what I experienced at my own high school 30 years ago.

In either case, high school used to be (going back 6-8 decades or more) HARD. It's nowhere near that now.

its easier now but also ay too nanny state. Its like the kids are in jail , the school will call the house by 830 if they don't come in. We used to have an open campus and a smoking area , if you got in a fight you got pushed apart and sent on your way . Now the police are called for the most ridiculous things and yet they still have no discipline. They don't do study hall here its team building , :D some idiot with a degree made 6 figures to change the name of study hall and gym class but they lay off teachers every year. The other thing is no one ever stays back a grade even with straight F's

• Options

I think it's just wonderful that the kids get an A+ and with honors for spelling their name correctly.

If they spell their name incorrectly, but with 3 wrong letters or less, then just receive an A.

Anything less than that, and they are first choice upon graduation to get a high paying job in the public school system.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 3:43PM

I did really well in school and on my ACT’s. My kids blew my grades and scores away. They are way smarter then their dad. I’ve done my part. You slackers need to pick up the pace

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I did really well in school and on my ACT’s. My kids blew my grades and scores away. They are way smarter then their dad. I’ve done my part. You slackers need to pick up the pace

m

My excuse for not getting better grades was that they didn't have Ginkgo Biloba back then. :)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

My excuse for not getting better grades was that they didn't have Ginkgo Biloba back then. :)

Don't worry, Steve, expectations are inherently low for all Philly fans...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

In Philly we play our NFL football games in our own city stadium.

Where do the NY Giants and NY Jets play their football? I used Google maps and searched every inch of New York City and couldn't find their stadiums. Perhaps their stadiums are underground and not visible by satellite?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Where do the NY Giants and NY Jets play their football? I used Google maps and searched every inch of New York City and couldn't find their stadiums. Perhaps their stadiums are underground and not visible by satellite?

Hey, we need to help Jersey on the map. Besides, the Mets are right here in Flushing, Queens. Where else can you order dim sum and pick up a hubcap on the way home from the game?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Hey, we need to help Jersey on the map. Besides, the Mets are right here in Flushing, Queens. Where else can you order dim sum and pick up a hubcap on the way home from the game?

Okay I'll give ya that one. Philly has some pretty good Chinese restaurants, but the best Chinese food I've ever had was in NYC.

• Options

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Okay I'll give ya that one. Philly has some pretty good Chinese restaurants, but the best Chinese food I've ever had was in NYC.

nowhere west of New England has decent chinese food. Seriously spare ribs with green garlic sauce? disgusting , ribs are red nuff said.

• Options

With you on the NYC Chinese food!