Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exonumia: Major General Anthony Wayne medal--need help identifying

I've been asked for information about this medal. A colleague thought it might have been a commemorative from the PA State Education Association (NEA affiliate/teachers union) but it is not. Note the "Educational" instead of Education.

Does anyone know who issued it? I've asked for a picture of the reverse and will post if I get it. TIA...

Comments

  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

    Here is the reverse of the medal. If this is not the correct CU forum for this posting can someone please let me know? Thanks!

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I cannot help, but find it interesting... depicting two major, but separate conflicts... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

    ttt

  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

    Anyone? Guesses as to when this was produced?

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The lettering style makes me think 20th Century, but I really have nothing to back that up.

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭

    From the PSEA.org site:

    1900 – Pennsylvania State Teachers Association changes name to Pennsylvania State Educational Association.

    So, Tom is correct, it's a 20th century medal. So, visit the site and give them a call or email. It appears they do have an archive and historian.

  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

    Thank you!

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I suspect the reverse is struck from a stock die. These were actually badges rather than true medals.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The City of Fort Wayne, Indiana got its' name from Major General Anthony "Mad Anthony" Wayne.

    Pete

    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file