Home U.S. Coin Forum

New S.S. Central America gold $20 arrived yesterday

2»

Comments

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2018 2:56PM

I don't know. Not sure the owners/sellers would like to disclose that.

It's likely that unsold coins and bars will be melted and made into trinkets like the last batch. I hope they have done a careful analysis of each of the bars. It could help identify contemporary sources and possibly counterfeits.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

That coin spent over a hundred and fifty years a mile or so under the ocean and almost looks like the day it was minted. Truly amazing. Beautiful coin. Congrats

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    New coins were packed tightly in bags and boxes, then surrounded with sawdust. The packaging rotted with time, but the packed coins were largely protected from abrasive sand and fresh sea water contamination. Coins scattered during the wreck were more likely to have had surface wear or damage.

[PS: Sawdust absorbs considerable sea water and, under depth pressure, gradually becomes a natural sealant that protects materials packed in sawdust. Depending on the tree species it can also buffer certain chemical reactions.]

Awesome info Roger, thank you for sharing this!

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's pretty awesome! Love the packaging!

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin !
    Enjoy it ! (I would)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful gold coin and what a marvelous job they did with packaging and presentation....That is very impressive. Great acquisition @OriginalDan...I am sure you will spend many hours enjoying this coin and it's history. Cheers, RickO

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 7:26AM

@RogerB said:
    New coins were packed tightly in bags and boxes, then surrounded with sawdust. The packaging rotted with time, but the packed coins were largely protected from abrasive sand and fresh sea water contamination. Coins scattered during the wreck were more likely to have had surface wear or damage.

[PS: Sawdust absorbs considerable sea water and, under depth pressure, gradually becomes a natural sealant that protects materials packed in sawdust. Depending on the tree species it can also buffer certain chemical reactions.]

You have partially answered my question reposted below the OP's inquiry. Would certainly welcome hearing from those who have had a chance to see in person both the originally recovered coins from 30 years ago to compare them with those brought up from the ocean depths just last year.

OP:
    **I wonder why the picture was recycled. Maybe the coins were more dispersed this time so there wasn't that one, iconic photo like this one. **

northcoin:
    Yes, I think you are correct. If I recall correctly, these coins were in fact more dispersed. I posed the question on another thread as to whether there is a visible difference in the appearance of the coins from the two separate recoveries. I don't recall anyone in the know offering a definitive answer.

Assuming there are differences, I could see how coins stacked together as evident in the picture from the first recovery might be better preserved than those loose on the ocean floor. Also wonder if the extra three decades of being subject to the oceans salt water and increasing pollutants might be a factor. Thirdly, there just may have been subtle differences in the conservation techniques to include the proprietary chemical baths used in the conservation which would have had an effect.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 7:58AM

@northcoin said:
    You have partially answered my question reposted below the OP's inquiry. Would certainly welcome hearing from those who have had a chance to see in person both the originally recovered coins from 30 years ago to compare them with those brought up from the ocean depths just last year.
    Assuming there are differences, I could see how coins stacked together as evident in the picture from the first recovery might be better preserved than those loose on the ocean floor. Also wonder if the extra three decades of being subject to the oceans salt water and increasing pollutants might be a factor. Thirdly, there just may have been subtle differences in the conservation techniques to include the proprietary chemical baths used in the conservation which would have had an effect.

Probably the only one who can truly answer your question is the person(s) doing the conservation, but these pictures will provide a decent comparison. Keep in mind the lighting could be different between different shots, as well as color temperature/white balance. I would assume most of the coins within the same group were shot with the same lighting and photo settings, and you can see some pretty significant differences between multiple coins from the same recovery (#2). A lot more photos exist for the 2nd recovery.

All 1857-S $20

1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #1 (no variety)
    1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #1 (spiked shield)
    1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #1 (Bold S)

1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #2 (no variety)
    1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #2 (spiked shield)
    1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #2 (spiked shield PL)
    1857-S $20 SSCA Recovery #2 (Bold S)

Overall there's a bit of variability in color even within same coins from the same group, but nothing stands out to me in terms of trends between the two.

INSANE how many have graded above 65 from the 2nd recovery. I wonder why, better recovery and conservation process maybe?

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin. A real piece of history!
    For showing collectors and non collectors alike, nothing has the "wow factor" like shipwreck gold.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beauty! Well done!

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Water temperatures in the low 30s and no light greatly slows chemical reactions. This may be the biggest factor(s) in the coins lack of any deterioration due to salt water. Also, there is little, if any current at this depth to cause any abrasive wear.

Also, this ship's iron from the hull bonded to surfaces of coins protecting the surfaces and is fairly easily removed by Mr. Evans.

This is what Bob Evans and Tommy Thompson told us back around 1989 or so, shortly after the first recovery.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 12:41PM

That looks fantastic and I think they did real nice on the presentation box, brief description, and the coin restoration. Congratulations. By the way, your pictures are great too.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 1:41PM

• blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick up Dan!

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2018 10:43PM

You made the right decision in stepping up to the plate to purchase this piece. I love everything about it: the history, the rarity, the beauty, the quality and the presentation. May you enjoy it for many, many years to come. And, oh yes, I think this coin will be very good to you, from a financial aspect, on down the road. Great thread- I enjoyed reading it.
    Congratulations!!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...That is what it’s all about bro!...I am Stoked for you and your nephews!...What a Coin and What a Story! Congrats and Enjoy the hell out of that Beautiful Baby! ;)

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks wayyyy better than I was expecting it to.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those wondering how a gold coin could still looks so good, this picture really illustrates the magical properties of gold. This Greek sword is well over 2000 years old!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LJenkins11 said:
    IMHO, the overall presentation of these new SSCA releases look outstanding they did a great job. Congrats on the excellent coin!

Yes that is an awesome presentation for the piece. A work of art.

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 11:08AM

@kiyote said:
    For those wondering how a gold coin could still looks so good, this picture really illustrates the magical properties of gold. This Greek sword is well over 2000 years old!

Of course it would never make it into anything other than a "Genuine" PCGS holder with that evident cleaning - unless it was drenched up from the ocean depths. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file