Home U.S. Coin Forum

Acetone Baths questions

davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 6, 2018 7:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A few questions about this....

1. How long do you perform the task?
  2. After you pull the coin out of the acetone, how long do you wait until you place in a plastic flip for submission
  3. do you place multiple coins in your acetone at same time vs single?
  4. Do you mix copper and silver coinage?
  5. I use a glass pyrex bowl and home depot acetone....am I an idiot, or the best ever or neither.....(looking for, is there a better way to do it?)

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone treatment is not a rocket science proposition. There are different ways to skin the cat, my favorite:

I use soap (dish detergent and water) first.
    Tamp with high nap white cotton towel
    Acetone either in a small but shallow bowl/cup of either glass or high quality ceramic
    Either soak coin or use corner of similar towel to tamp - not rub - surface of coin
    One by one proposition as far as coins, don't batch them if you don't want to risk contact
    Repeat soap and water treatment
    Rinse liberally with water (can be distilled but IMO does not have to be)
    Tamp dry with same type of towel
    Let dry for couple hours
    May place in plastic flip

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can soak a coin for a few minutes or a week. A week would obviously loosen more undesired matter. Just ensure the acetone doesn't evaporate and you cannot use plastic as Acetone eats plastic.

I rinse in warm water for a minute or so. That too removes debris. I then place the coin on a quality paper napkin with no pattern or lint. Press, flip press in a new area then let it air dry for 10 minutes. NO RUBBING OF ANY KIND!!!

Yes, I have soaked several at once. Avoid contact. I extract by pouring off the Acetone until I can tilt the dish to retrieve them for rinsing one at a time.

I've never mixed copper and silver. Dunno......

I use a dish and put another as a lid but any non-plastic vessel should work fine.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

For single coins I use a shot glass or an 8 oz 7up glass with less than an ounce of Acetone as it's not great for the environment.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since acetone dries without leaving a residue it could be used alone; I agree with the small ceramic bowl. A paper towel could be used to squeeze out excess and hasten the dry though acetone and products like "Conserv" are accelerents, so will dry quickly. I don't understand the concerns about always dumping out fluid even when little in terms of surface material was removed. The particulate tends to fall to the bottom and the effect of the solution is rarely affected by one or two uses.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use small shallow glass jars with screw caps. Also wood handled cotton swabs to roll off dirt (if uncirculated) and PVC.
    I have mixed copper and silver and nickel in same jar. When acetone starts turning color, time for new batch.

Acetone is flammable, evaporates easily, and has fumes that are bad, so be careful.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience a few weeks in acetone is no different from a few minutes.

Hardware store acetone is just fine.

If the coin is a mess then multiple baths are warranted, so dissolved residue doesn't end up on the coin.

Acetone dries quickly. No reason to wait long.

I would not treat multiple coins at the same time. What's the hurry?

Some circulated silver or copper might benefit from Blue Ribbon or CoinCare. Acetone strips environmental contaminants which can leave coins looking dried-out.
    Lance.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use acetone when coins have PVC or other contaminants...it will remove/dissolve organic compounds. If soaking for a while, cover the container since acetone will evaporate quickly. Do not use nail polish remover as that has other compounds in it. I use an alcohol rinse after soaking and then hot, running water... just my method, and I am used to it. Cheers, RickO

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isopropyl or moonshine/everclear?

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Do not use nail polish remover as that has other compounds in it.

You think "nail polish" remover like this would be OK? Says 100% acetone, and that of course is the only thing listed in the ingredients

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited April 7, 2018 11:12AM

Better off buying pure acetone. Acetone and, say, anhydrous ammonia sometimes have unlisted additives (state-by-state, sometimes federal) because they're used in methamphetamine production or a/b extractions for cleaning up heroin and cocaine.

@DCW...I have never seen that one before.... If it is indeed pure, it would be ok...though I think it may be more expensive than the hardware store acetone....just guessing there since it is appealing to the cosmetic segment of the market. Cheers, RickO

Thanks @ricko
    Under $5, so I figured Id give it a shot. Cant get more pure than 100%, but I wanted to check with you guys to see if I was missing something

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

edited April 7, 2018 11:23AM

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

Definitely don't do copper with acetone

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

@cucamongacoin said:

So what do you recommend for copper?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    Better off buying pure acetone. Acetone and, say, anhydrous ammonia sometimes have unlisted additives (state-by-state, sometimes federal) because they're used in methamphetamine production or a/b extractions for cleaning up heroin and cocaine.

anhydrous ammonia is a gas..????

@cucamongacoin said:

???
    Acetone - pure acetone - should be fine on any metal including copper????

edited April 7, 2018 11:34AM

You can also buy heptane at Lowe's which will also be safe on coins

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭

it affects the color on copper. Don't know why

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

"Meth cooks use anhydrous ammonia in the place of red phosphorus to extract methamphetamine from ephedrine by way of a chemical reaction when mixed with lithium (usually via battery innards)."

Manufacturers started putting additives in it, and farm grade ammonia, eight to ten years ago.

I've heard of people using acetone for extractions of various things and getting odd residues or horrible tastes, smells and colors that weren't initially present or listed on the product label.

Acetone will not affect copper, however, I have heard of it causing color change when it attacks some residues on copper.... I have no idea what the residues are that cause such an effect. I put a new copper cent in acetone early this week...left it there for three hours...no change. I did this because I keep seeing these posts about acetone and copper. Acetone is an organic solvent, it will not attack metal. Cheers, RickO

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 12:08PM

@ricko said:
    Acetone will not affect copper, however, I have heard of it causing color change when it attacks some residues on copper.... I have no idea what the residues are that cause such an effect. I put a new copper cent in acetone early this week...left it there for three hours...no change. I did this because I keep seeing these posts about acetone and copper. Acetone is an organic solvent, it will not attack metal. Cheers, RickO

my experience confirms this. i have seen black dirt turn into green residue on copper. the green stuff was already there, but the acetone took the black layer off. i also think it tends to make brown copper look "dry."

I've got some "dirty" seated halves vf20-xf45 with a nice old silver look to them. I had them laid out last night ready to give them a hot water bath. After examining them, I realized the best they'd ever look is how they do now - like old silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file