Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat 1955s Lincoln Cents with lathe lines?

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 pretty unassuming uncirculated 1955s Lincoln cents at first glance:

All from the same roll, all look the same:

But as you look around the the coin...

All are the exact same.

Same little die chip:

Some more random pics of the lines of the different coins:

Nothing super spectacular about the obverse die - some strange squiggles under the bust, but the reverses are the cool part of this one.

A little bit different than some of the more recent posts with lathe lines all over the obverse, or the majority - these are all concentrated towards and on the rim. Just thought they were neat and figured someone would like to see them. Wish I could take whole coin photos as well as the micro ones, but best I can do.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job documenting the coin. Those most certainly look like lathe lines. They are not as pronounced as some coins show.

They are nevertheless there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Close ups are cool

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice images. Also seem like nice strikes other than the common weak O in ONE.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, nice photos and interesting post.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are pretty cool lathe lines. I'm assuming they are still visible out towards the rim because of edges curve towards the rim. Those would be the low spots on the die and when polished, those lathe lines were protected by being lower than the rest of the field. Just a guess?

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional photos.

• Options

A lot of the lathe line pictures on the forums (ErrorsOnCoins has a good one) are of 1996D Lincolns with the lathe lines more spread out over the obverse of the die and concentric- but looking at the pictures the lines are not very deep, more like shadows of what was there that pretty much got flattened during striking.

With this one, they are fairly ridge-like, ie if you run a toothpick over them, they are decent sized raised lines. I can only imagine as the lathe worked down the conical die stock towards where the angled part ends/meets the flat sides, it was really digging into the die stock pretty deep that the die polish and hubbing process failed to eradicate it.

I found a similar one of this style with Google of a 1958D cent with pictures on a chat board.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent pictures of the lathe lines.... is that with a computer magnification program? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Excellent pictures of the lathe lines.... is that with a computer magnification program? Cheers, RickO

I use something like this for macro shots - I have a 500x and a 1000x - there are many that look like this, think they all share the same parts and brand them a bit differently, but these do well.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnification-Microscope-Endoscope-Biological-Inspection/dp/B00P8D96N6

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX.... Nice set up... I may look into that one.... who knows? Maybe I could take a good picture too... :D:D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @StrikeOutXXX.... Nice set up... I may look into that one.... who knows? Maybe I could take a good picture too... :D:D Cheers, RickO

The price is right, Ricko. It does a real good job for a less than nothing price. (my observation).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

That's a nice one grip, and is more like what many of the pictures in various threads seem to portray. My coins and the 58d I copied the pictures from above - those types of lines I just hadn't seen before.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the interesting read. I love this forum. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file