Home U.S. Coin Forum

first coins sent for grading and a Cleaned Coin Question

SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I primarily buy slabbed coins for my type set, I have periodically obtained raw coins. A number of the raw coins I had could have either been hole fillers in my type set or potential upgrades. I decided to progress my collecting and education by sending some coins in to our host and also to another TPG. For collectors that have never done this, the few hundred dollars that this is going to cost me, has easily been paid back in the learning I am getting. Similar to selling some coins for the first few times.

In trying to understand some of the grades and then look at other raw coins I still have, I started looking at some books I had, but also looked for an App. I am embarrassed to say I had never put the PCGS Photograde app on my tablet, but boy is it much easier to use than a book and the image quality is great.

Anyways, one of the coins I had graded came back as AU Details cleaned. In retrospect, I can now see some cleaning lines on the obverse. I won't be keeping this in my slabbed type set, as it is a details coin. So I am curious on what a value might be or what to do with it. I still like the look of the coin, especially the reverse. My first thought was to sell however a local dealer (who is very fair with me) indicated that to a dealer, it is probably only worth 2 grades lower (VF), so $35ish. His recommendation was to list it on ebay(but I am too lazy to do that).

So I could:
-crack it out and put it in my 7070 dansco, but that set is not my priority
-take it to another dealer slabbed, see what they offer
-crack it out and take it to another dealer, based on other coins and prices I see, this coin probably is $100+, so they may pay more

It seems that the slab now hurts the value/liquidity of the coin.

Curious on peoples thoughts on the value and what to do with it.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of thoughts. The first is that the coin does not have AU details, but rather has more likely EF details and the surfaces show obvious manipulation. I doubt very much if you could find a dealer to pay you $100 or so for the coin, which leaves the questions of-

1) How much is your time worth?
    2) Would you rather have the $35 and be done with the coin or have the coin and continue to possibly sink time and resources into it.

Personally, I would be done with the piece and move forward.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom, thanks for the feedback. That was some of what I was looking for...better to just be done with it, then hang onto,it raw...

To,help,me learn, from the pics, what makes it obvious that there was surface manipulation...color, scratches, something else?

For newer collectors reading, I will reiterate that sending a few raw coins in for grading for the first time, has been well worth the expense in terms of forcing myself to learn more. This forum has helped me immensely, but from 6 coins submitted, I had two positive surprises, two on the money, and two disappointments...Trying to,use all to learn.

Thanks again

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with TomB... either sell it or album it... list it on the BST. You learned and that is good... Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck now on the BST. :D:D:D

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree with Tom's opinion of the grade. The coin is an AU. That makes at least three professional TPG's vs Tom. :)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too believe it to be AU. The cleaning, is it in the right field obverse? I think i see it going from SSW to NNE?? (6:30 to 12:30)

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file