Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blank Planchets......

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've collected three blank cent planchets and one quarter planchet...is it worth grading or is that ridiculous? Has anyone graded blank planchets? The quarter is pretty marked up, it probably wouldn't grade very high anyway.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to pay for grading unless you want it slabbed for collection consistency.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely no point in getting them graded, they are easy enough to authenticate and will all grade MS60 (or MS61, which someone managed to get a Peace dollar planchet to grade).

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree with the above.

• Options

@seanq said:
    Absolutely no point in getting them graded

Thanks! That's what I thought~

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a silver dollar blank found at the bottom of a bag of Morgans that the "grown-ups" were going through. I always wanted it slabbed. Unfortunately I doubt it'd get any designation outside of silver dollar size blank or something.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just 'self slab' and label them.... cheaper and protects the 'coin' just as well.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

How do you self slab? Are there empty slabs for sale somewhere? That's a cool idea RickO!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFAIK, I don't believe any major TPGS slabs blank planchets anymore. Can someone confirm this?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

save your money

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only one I submitted a few years back (a large cent blank) came back as "not genuine"- should have seen that as an omen.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete waste of (any) money to
    slab any modern blank or planchet
    up to Quarters.

Halves on up - Yes

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    AFAIK, I don't believe any major TPGS slabs blank planchets anymore. Can someone confirm this?

I bought a Type II Silver Dollar blank planchete in an ICG holder not too long ago. Was the green insert...not sure when it was from, but doesn't look very old.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file