Home Precious Metals

PM pocket piece

SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many of you carry a silver or gold pocket piece and what is it and why? I carry a half ounce 1978 Liberty Lobby silver round. If lost or stolen no real harm, but it feels good to have a little silver. Large enough not to spend by accident, but not too heavy and cumbersone. A cull silver dollar is good, but too large for comfort. Just wondering.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know several people that carry pocket pieces... I do not and never really understood the concept....I am practical, and what I carry is generally something useful...pocket knives, note pad and pen, firearm, spare magazines, handkerchief and cash. Anything not serviceable stays home... Cheers, RickO

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was a kid there was a local dealer who always had two 50-pesos on him. :o

But not me. I don't like having anything extra on me.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t carry one. I’d lose it in a week. Probably find it a year later in between the driver seat and the console in my car.

• mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I carry a 1921 Morgan on me. I found 2 at a bank when I bought $40 on Ikes that were in an envelope. I gave the other bro my now 13yo son to carry.

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 11:08AM

In the Fall of 1978 I bought a horrible looking 1864 half dollar out of a junk box at a coin show in Dayton, OH. Looked like a contemporary counterfeit, which the dealer thought it was. Think I paid $2 or $3 for it.

Did an S.G. and found it to be silver. Was wavy and a bit larger than a normal half dollar. Overall condition maybe F-VF but dark. Decided that it had been in a fire. Later found out that a quantity of half dollars had been recovered from the Post Office's safe after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 that were similarly wavy and enlarged when the fire passed or was extinguished just before the coins had "puddled." The date of the coin was right to have been part of that recovery, but of course could never prove it.

Carried it as a pocket piece from late 1978 until I lost it about six years ago. Was down to AG-G by then. Some of the stars that were on the high points of the waves were completely gone.

I actually had lost it once before, while I was still working at the ANA. Got home from lunch and noticed it was missing. When I went back to work I retraced my steps and found it on the lawn out front!

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a peace$ and a silver norfed on me in rotation...and an Iceland 100kr for good travel measure.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped by a gold and silver store that just happened to be closed and a lady pulled up as I was leaving, So I asked if she was selling?
    Ended up buying almost $10 face value in silver coinage for $40.
    A ruff 1925 Peace Dollar with a soldered on bail was in the lot.
    I removed the bail and carry it most days (figure I was in the right place at the right time to get a good deal) maybe it still retains some luck.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592....What was that 2004 Jefferson doing in there?? ;) Nice haul of silver though, and without computing the melt value, I would say you did well... Cheers, RickO

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I am practical, and what I carry is generally something useful...pocket knives, note pad and pen, firearm, spare magazines, handkerchief and cash. Anything not serviceable stays home... Cheers, RickO

Sounds like me overall. It's surprising how few people carry a handkerchief these days.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figured a pic was needed.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON gave me this.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny ... I slipped on my pants this A.M. , grabbed the change off the dresser and put it in my pocket. Old habits die hard.