Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Toughest card to find in high grade for what you collect and your white whale...

I was looking through some pics and saw these two.

I am not certain you can find a card from the 80’s that has more extreme centering issues. This is the best I have ever seen centering wise but card has some minor common flaws and finding an 8 or higher will be incredibly tough.

Dr. David Shultz was the guy that slapped the heck out of John Stasil and I had to have his card. It took me over seven years to land a copy. Extremely rare card.

Let’s see what you got.

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos. There are 195 total cards from the set in PSA slabs, and the complete set has only 12 cards. They are 5x7, black white and blank backed and quite stunning to behold in hand. The most valuable card from the set (by far) is the Mickey Mantle 'G' rookie card. There are 73 of them. Of the three rookie cards of Mickey Mantle, it is the only one that actually has a photo - the other two (1951 Bowman, 1952 Topps) are both artwork (literally and figuratively).

However, MY white whale is the last card - Jack Kramer 'L'. You can see the two below. The tape stained one is no longer raw; it is part of a complete set in SGC slabs. Sadly it not for sale.

The other is my white whale.

1951 Wheaties Premium Photos - Jack Kramer A8491L

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say the toughest cards to find in high grade for what i collect would definitely be Michael Jordan's stickers from the 1989 KOS-JEZ Izvadac set from Yugoslavia. PSA has only graded 2 stickers from this entire set and they rarely ever pop-up on ebay in what could be considered decent condition. I have all 8 of Jordan's stickers from this set that were cut from the sticker album for this set and here is a pic taken from google to show how horrible the centering issues alone were for them.

As for my white whale pick,rather than go with Jordan's 85 Star #101 rc or Brady's 2000 Contenders auto rc i'll go with this 98-99 UD game jersey auto of MJ. This was the second year that UD included these MJ GU/Autos in packs and the pens they used were much bolder than the previous year. I got this image from google.

• Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

This card

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that Bundy card, David.

I liked him on Married with Children - classic stuff.

Mike
  • Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 10:02PM

For me it would be the 77 Topps Mexican Steve Largent. I'd love to add this card now but every copy that pops up has a fish eye on it, I'd like a clean copy. This card in a PSA 9 popped up in a PWCC auction in late 2016, I wanted to bid on the card but I didn't have the resources for the card at the time. I just pulled up PSA's site and saw this same card sold with Heritage in June 17. If that card was listed today I'd snap that baby up. BTW the guy whom bought it lost $3437 in nine months lol.

I'll have to add Heritage scans are terrible, the second scan.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 5:40AM

@Stone193

When the card came out I used to have nightmares about King Kong Bundy.

Vince did such a good job bringing in big men to work with Hogan. Bundy was awesome.

This card in high grade wouldn’t have a whole lot of value but it’s doubful one will ever surface.

Typical Bundy.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did Topps put out a set in the 50s with all the popular wrestlers.

I used to watch it - either Fri or Sat nite from the Sunnyside Gardens.

Mike
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Parkhurst released two sets in 54 and 55 in Canada. Distribution method is unknown as no images of packs have been discovered.

Extremely condition sensitive set.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

I remember having to "sneak" in watching wrestling in 1985/1986 or so. My parents were not strict parents by any means, but they thought me watching wrestling at the age of 7 and 8 would make me a aggressive, a fighter, etc. Anyways, when it became pretty mainstream in 1987 they were fine with it (I seemed to have turned out fine). Anyways, when I would sneak watch it, I always loved the big guys: Big John Studd, Andre, and King Kong Bundy. I was so disappointed that when I was finally allowed to watch it, King Kong Bundy had been relegated to such a low status. Can you imagine headlining a Wrestlemania against Hogan, and then the following year being in a 3 man tag match with midgets? I am not sure what he did wrong, but I always hate how Bundy went out.