Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Dad Was Diagnosed w/ Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer, Post a Coin You Won in Jeremy's Auction

BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2018 9:13AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My dad's health has been declining for the past several months. Up until recently he was active and as strong as an ox, all while being 77 years old. But we just found out a couple of days ago that he has metastatic pancreatic cancer that has spread to his liver. :'( I know the prognosis and I'm really not taking the news well. He's my dad, but he's also my best friend, so this really, really sucks for me.

Please post a coin you won (or donated) from one of the auctions Jeremy held to benefit pancreatic cancer research.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 1:52PM

Sorry to hear Cary. :(

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 11:19AM

Take your best friend wherever he wishes. Share the next months together and cherish them.
    Remember, you still have a Dad.

Found my Jeremy's Auction coin with fingerprint obverse.

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of this news. Thoughts will be with you and yours in the future.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to read this. Will include you in my prayers. Peace be with you.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that.

• Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

<html />
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very sorry to hear the sad news.
    Spend as much time with him as you can and I hope he doesn’t suffer too much!
    Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Dave

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went through this with my Mother. Stay strong for you Dad.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going through similar with my dad. I sincerely wish you the happiest remaining times together. Some of it won’t be fun, but get as much as you can out of it. In my experience “normal things on normal days” are more meaningful than arranged big-deal events.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Going through similar with my dad. I sincerely wish you the happiest remaining times together. Some of it won’t be fun, but get as much as you can out of it. In my experience “normal things on normal days” are more meaningful than arranged big-deal events.

This!! And at times there are no words.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m so sorry to hear this.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

So very sorry to hear this.

Spend as much time with him as you can.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear.

These are the moments life has been preparing you for. Very sad for what lies ahead but so happy for what gifts the past provided. It all comes down to now, so live it up in the closing moments.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad died from mesothelioma and I still have painful memories of how he suffered. I live away and did not get to see him as often as I'd liked. Cherish your remaining time together and help him live in the moment to forget his circumstances for just awhile.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear this man......our prayers are with you and your family.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any coins or sage advice. Went through about the same with my dad 20 years ago. Try to keep things as normal as possible and if you can, get him to laugh.

• Options
    historybuffhistorybuff Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear and you are getting good advice here. I can relate, just found out a few days ago my dad has prostate cancer and we are very close.

My advice is to not give up, and seek the best medical input in the country that you can - I just turned 50, and 4 years ago I was diagnosed with a pre cancerous pancreatic tumor. I was one of the lucky ones that had symptoms (recurring pancreatitis). I received lots of bad doctor advice at two different hospitals, until I took it upon myself to go to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. They did a superb job - they have superior imaging capabilities (which significantly affected the understanding of my problem) and I had surgery to have a portion of my pancreas removed that was affected. You may well have pursued a quality institution for your dad already, but just adding my thoughts on how very important that is.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear. Prayers lifted.

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your father.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so terribly sorry about your father.

<3o:)<3

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@59Horsehide said:
    Very sorry to read this. Will include you in my prayers. Peace be with you.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible and sad news. So sorry.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers sent for you and dad.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear about your dad.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this.... Much great advice above.... There are no words that can describe the pain one has when faced with the loss of a parent....I was there for both of my parents last moments. I know it meant a great deal to them. RickO

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m so sorry to read about your dad.
    Thoughts and prayers sent.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through similar situations with both of my parents years ago. Spend as much time with your father as possible, and remember to take care of yourself as well.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the news....It's at times like these that we realize how much we depend on other people to help us get through. Almost 22 years ago my "world's greatest" dad passed away. Our relationship changed to be sure, but it never will be gone; he's always with me. He spent a long time contemplating his mortality while battling cancer for years. At the time of his passing I was comforted by the notion that he was reuniting with his loved ones that went before him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file