Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there a “smart phone” commemorative coin in our future?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Edited from BBC:
“A typical iPhone is estimated to house around 0.034g of gold, 0.34g of silver, 0.015g of palladium and less than one-thousandth of a gram of platinum. It also contains the less valuable but still significant aluminum (25g) and copper (around 15g). Smartphones also contain a range of rare earth elements – elements that are actually plentiful in the Earth’s crust but extremely difficult to mine and extract economically – including yttrium, lanthanum, terbium, neodymium, gadolinium and praseodymium.”

“Recycling one million mobile phones could deliver nearly 16 tons of copper, 350kg of silver (11,253 T oz worth $184,437), 34kg of gold (that’s 1,093 T oz worth $1,420,900) hand 15kg of palladium.”

Will we one day have a completely recycled commemorative honoring ‘smart phones’ and computer components?

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are more smart phones than there are "smart" phone users.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial response would be 'No'....however, with the direction the Mint seems to be taking, and after giving it some thought... probably.....I am no longer surprised by Mint offerings...Though I do blame our congress more so than the Mint...after all, that is where it all comes from.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

• Options
    edited March 31, 2018 8:45AM

I remember when we used to put the coin in the phone and then.... for a brief 3 minutes like an auctioneer.....

Now we're putting the phone in the coin and we can unlimited.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a D Carr coin. He buys metal from a recycler of only cell phone metals, makes blanks, makes an uber cool design, with a very limited mintage B)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really care. Unlike others, I don't need or want to have a phone strapped to me at all times. I don't even like answering my "landline".

For those of you who don't know what a "landline" is, I ain't gonna tell you.

Look in the history books.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    I don't really care. Unlike others, I don't need or want to have a phone strapped to me at all times. I don't even like answering my "landline".

Pete

If I didn't have kids I'd throw mine in the river.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 9:24AM

I thought about commissioning an iPhone 10th anniversary coin by Dan Carr but then I also wanted to distribute it at an event like the Apple conference to call it a So-Called Dollar. Never got around to it but still thinking of modern So-Called Dollar ideas.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I love my smartphone. It's got a better camera than my actual camera, although it has almost no zoom capability. When my tv died in 2016 I watched TV on it for over a year...now that I have a new TV I can watch two games at once....or at least keep aware of what's going on.

What I don't use it for is talking...I don't like talking on the telephone to begin with, and I don't give the number out to anyone. I actually keep my "stupid phone" for talking.

I only got it in early 2016 and it's one of the best gifts I've ever received.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

I guess the Apple one would be a "So-Called iphone Dollar" -- ?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    I guess the Apple one would be a "So-Called iphone Dollar" -- ?

NO. A "So-Called iPhone Dollar Dialer" it is.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Good one! I'd better call someone on my flip phone to tell them --- right away --- as I'm hiking down this steep trail above the cany..........

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quit if the do.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be one of the coins in the Innovation Dollar Series. In what state was the mobile phone developed?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get out the crystal ball....I see the US mint teaming up with the US currency mint to produce something to commemorate the decline of coinage and paper money, and celebrating the explosion of virtual technologies, smartphones, people jabbering away constantly in their cars, etc., and tapping away frenetically with all types of devices.... The inmates are taking over the asylum!

• Options

@djm said:
    Could be one of the coins in the Innovation Dollar Series. In what state was the mobile phone developed?

It was developed in Yakalot, Washington at the Blabington Research Lab.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely!

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

ah, finally a way to get them youngsters interested in coins

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2018 7:25PM

You can also extract gold from ocean saltwater, which seems about as practical as a "smart phone" relic coin.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll buy one of those commems if it has a hinge. Wait...I guess my phone isn't all that 'smart' (more like Spock's tricorder).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file