Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Currently for sale on Ebay. Would the Franky in this 1962 Proof Set be slabbed as a DCAM?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I would bring this proof set to the attention of Forumites.

Your thoughts?

And, feel free to bid.

I suspect that the winning bid will make the seller very happy.

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh...yeah. :)

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cello tends to hide deep contrast so I would think that if the photo is accurate that the half will be very heavily contrasted and probably dcam.

What I am worried about is the big honkin' white spot above the date. Could be on the cello, but more likely is on the coin. If on the coin, I have had little success in removing it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

How quickly both of you posted your replies. :)

To bad the proof set is not from 1959. If it was I would not have posted this thread.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

To bad the proof set is not from 1959. If it was I would not have posted this thread.

...and set my snipe bid.

• Options

@ModCrewman said:

@SanctionII said:

...and set my snipe bid.

I'd be sniping too.

For those wondering why we are mentioning 1959:
    By 1959 the master dies were getting very worn and this reduced the number of dies made - they were trying to stretch the life of the master die. Further, they struck more proofs off of each die so dcams are less available. With the dies updated for 1960, they got back to a more normal routine on die production.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

@ModCrewman said:

@SanctionII said:

...and set my snipe bid.

I'd be sniping too.

By 1959 the master dies were getting very worn and this reduced the number of dies made - they were trying to stretch the life of the master die. Further, they struck more proofs off of each die so dcams are less available. With the dies updated for 1960, they got back to a more normal routine on die production.

Thank you for teaching me something today.. One of the many reasons I love this forum. Thank you.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    The cello tends to hide deep contrast so I would think that if the photo is accurate that the half will be very heavily contrasted and probably dcam.

What I am worried about is the big honkin' white spot above the date. Could be on the cello, but more likely is on the coin. If on the coin, I have had little success in removing it.

<<< What I am worried about is the big honkin' white spot above the date. Could be on the cello, but more likely is on the coin. If on the coin, I have had little success in removing it. >>>

The seller is a coin dealer with over 23k feedback. I would imagine that the dealer knows "little success in removing it" as well.

Bidding up to $32.00 with 4 days left so somebody out there likes it.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has to go 68 DCAM to even make it worth while. Slim chance on that! 67's are selling for a bit over $100 and the PCGS price list is all wet.

• Options

@jtlee321 said:

@Cameonut said:

@ModCrewman said:

@SanctionII said:

...and set my snipe bid.

I'd be sniping too.

Thank you for teaching me something today.. One of the many reasons I love this forum. Thank you.

You are quite welcome.

I looked up the populations for PCGS dcam Franklins. Only 23 for 1959 in all grades, but 1,205 for 1962.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking like Wabbit.

with what clearly looks like a milk spot on the obverse I would pass, it's just too distracting for me. additionally, 1962 DCAM's aren't impossible to find at GreySheet bid so I wouldn't want to be paying more than about $18 for a set.

• Options

That spot looks as though somebody sneezed on the way from bringing the minted coin over to the plastic encapsulater machine.

That spot in my opinion isn't going to be removed with a bath. It's eaten away at the skin, and after a bath, that spot will still be there. I'd be sure this coin dealer has already looked at it with a loupe, and came to that conclusion.

• Options
    EzmoneyEzmoney Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:

@ModCrewman said:

@SanctionII said:

...and set my snipe bid.

I'd be sniping too.

Cool info....thanks and something else to watch for.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those spots do look like the proverbial 'milk spots'... but could be something else..... would be worth a bath in acetone...I did not see on ebay, so I guess it is gone now... Sometimes those spots are not milk spots... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Those spots do look like the proverbial 'milk spots'... but could be something else..... would be worth a bath in acetone...I did not see on ebay, so I guess it is gone now... Sometimes those spots are not milk spots... Cheers, RickO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-US-Silver-Proof-Set/362280996890?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&amp;_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of 1959 proof frankies, I’ve settled for 1/2 a DCAM with mine only being on the obverse.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

looking at the linked auction pictures it appears that the lighting is a little manipulated to enhance the coin, it may not be as good as it appears.

• Options

About 25 hours to go in the auction.

Since I started this thread bidding has gone from just under $19.00 to $41.00

Any guesses to what the high bid will be? I think the high bid will be about $70.00.

• Options

Some would consider this purchase to be similar to a lottery ticket. You win some, but lose most.

A return privilege makes the decision to bid much easier.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it could be a decent dcam. I also agree on the 1959. I have my birth set (1959) that I was trying to at least make all of the cameo. Even in cameo, the frankie is out of my budget. I can only imaging what a dcam 59' would cost.

• Options

Just checked the auction.

Less than one hour to go. 15 bids so far placed by 6 bidders. Current high bid is $41.00.

Will the bid go higher?; and if so by how much?

• Options

A bidding flurry at the end of the auction saw the winning jump to $141.50.

Much higher than I expected, in fact twice what I expected.

With a return privilege the high bidder can look at the proof set and half dollar in hand and return it for the cost of shipping if he or she does not like the item. If it appears that the obverse spot is a milk spot that can not be removed then it is likely the proof set will be returned.

Interesting to see that multiple bidder saw this auction and participated.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    A bidding flurry at the end of the auction saw the winning jump to $141.50.

Much higher than I expected, in fact twice what I expected.

With a return privilege the high bidder can look at the proof set and half dollar in hand and return it for the cost of shipping if he or she does not like the item. If it appears that the obverse spot is a milk spot that can not be removed then it is likely the proof set will be returned.

Interesting to see that multiple bidder saw this auction and participated.

Coin dealers just LOVE running approval services for lottery players.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 was a good year for cameo Fraklins

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

There also seemed to be at least two other unpleasant looking milk spots on the obverse.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2018 3:31AM

**With a return privilege **

with all the complaining at this site about eBay it is sort of strange that members feel it is OK to return an item like this for the reasons expressed. at the sale price and with the cost of encapsulation the Half-Dollar would need to grade PR67DCAM to break even. I would wonder what the justification for a return would be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file