Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Gold Godless Florin

Hi, does anyone have any information on Godless Florin patterns produced in gold? Hoping to understand how to value one. Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is the 1849, AND AUTHENTIC, that is a $50,000 + coin! This is a coin that is not only rare, but of late included amongst 19th C Victoria gold that has gone ballistic.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • I'll shoot it and post pictures in next couple weeks...can you link to anything online I can read about coin?

Just checked Wilson and Rasmussen ("English Pattern and Trial and Proof Coins in Gold): page 431. Rarity 7!
    The coin is dated 1848, NOT 1849 as I had mentioned erroneously above. 21.71 gms.

Last sold at Spink, 1994 Auction 107: Lot #441

That would have to be the coin you are talking about??

• 1848 yes...now I'm looking for a copy of the book.

And thank you for your help! Given how long ago last sale, short of auction, can it be reasonably valued?

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Just checked Wilson and Rasmussen ("English Pattern and Trial and Proof Coins in Gold): page 431. Rarity 7!
    The coin is dated 1848, NOT 1849 as I had mentioned erroneously above. 21.71 gms.

Last sold at Spink, 1994 Auction 107: Lot #441

That would have to be the coin you are talking about??

I was at that sale. According to my notes, the coin hammered at 12K. I didn't make notes on the grade, which likely means that it was not nice enough for me to want to bid. Today, I would not make the same mistake. LOL.

Anyway, even if it's only 61-62 quality - not that I know that it is - it could easily bring $75-100K in the current market. A wild guess, but probably not a stupid one.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Yes, these type of coins have gone ballistic last 3-5 years. I recall the 1922 florin in gold going for 8.5k pounds and this coin would likely be of current similar value as Eureka says - depending on who shows up to the sale.

How in the world did you come across such a coin - that is, if you can tell the story.....

• My dad was an avid collector in the 70s and 80s...he picked it up a coin show in LA...the coin is circulated and if I recall correctly, the dealer may have incorrectly identified it as a gothic florin...my dad loved reminiscing about gold at $35/oz. I will share pictures soon...this was the crown jewel in his collection.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please keep us posted !!! :)

Timbuk3

When found that coin needs a weight and specific gravity read if not XRF. That would be VERY strange to be circulated as the putative weight is about 2.5 sovereigns - an odd number.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

lets see pics and get that sucker graded!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Is PCGS the right source for grading this?

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Either PCGS or NGC are both good!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the better description would be mishandled? Sounds legit to me and a great story to go with it!

@7Jaguars said:
    When found that coin needs a weight and specific gravity read if not XRF. That would be VERY strange to be circulated as the putative weight is about 2.5 sovereigns - an odd number.

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018 3:35PM

Becky

• Bought 1974 from Spinks LA Hilton.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a picture of the obverse???

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

looks promising