Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found Cent from 1984 paper route change

AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scurried this away. Found it in a box with a self-authored self-illustrated book called "The Case of the Missing Mint". :D

She sure looks a lot different than when I was a kid! :o

Hope you can see all the iridescent and blues mixed with the purples. Tried to get a colors shot and a details shot.

Pretty little thing. I still remember dropping my bag of newspapers and running home to show dad who immediately helped me put it in a flip.

(I assure you that is a beard hair in the 2nd pic not something else lol oops. Not his, mine I mean. Coins haven't come alive in the literal sense yet. Wait, right?)

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

A newspaper cost a cent back in 1914.

• Options

This is going in my to be slabbed queue.

Not that it would matter but I wonder what it'd catch. Very nice stable coin I wanna keep it that way.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

Not that it would matter but I wonder what it'd catch. Very nice stable coin I wanna keep it that way.

I would guess somewhere between 58 and 63. Its a nice coin.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, better memory. :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking '14.
    For all the papers I delivered in the mid 60's, I don't remember any special coins. I do remember getting Buffalo nickels, and of course, silver of all kinds (except Barbers).....

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

Don't forget to update us with the results. Nice coin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great that you still have a coin from your paper route.... wish I did...Wow... the silver - even Columbian halves...V nickels, IHC's... Mercs were common change....SLQ's.... and WLH's were common in commerce...
    I am happy to have those memories.... wish I had the coins too... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks proof! (It's not though.) That is a neat coin with a wonderful story.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool

I recently got to hang with a paper route buddy and I still have a few blackened mercs in a Whitman from those days

Great memories.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a paper route back when I was a kid and one of the customers knew I collected coins so he would occasionally seed the payments with interesting coins. Still have them 'cause I have not sold much but not sure which ones they are. Nice that you kept this separate and thanks for sharing!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

I subbed in the summer during the late 50's early 60's, it was .35 cents per week for the daily paper that came out Mon-Fri and you would collect on Fridays (when people got paid) and tear a stub out of the collect card as a receipt for payment. I liked it when the customer gave you 2 silver quarters (.50) because they did not have the exact change and you could give them 3 nickels back (.15) in change. It was easier to count out of the bank bag in order to pay the distributor who delivered your bundles of papers. I hated ads as they came separate and you had to stuff.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018 9:38AM

On my route I had apartments on it and I hated collecting from there. The Blue Garden Apartments to be precise. I would buzz their apartments on Fridays but they wouldn’t answer. I could clearly see them in the windows or hear them. On Saturday I would come back and I would practically have to hide in the bushes and ambush them when they came in the door. They would always feign all I have is a twenty. I always made sure I had change for it.

When I sold my route for $65 it was the happiest day of my life including the birth of my two kids who I love very much.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Up until the 90s I was getting V nickels, standard silver 1960s, 40% Kennedy no 90% or 40 wartime, here and there some widows knew I collected and helped me out. My grandmother tipped her newspaper guy in old coins up until she passed 3 years ago. It was very nice of these folks in a small community to hook it up like that.

I'm pretty sure childhood paper routes got a lot of us into collecting. Dad started us young with shows but started taking me along when I kept money from collecting.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭

Oh, the memories brought back by some of the above posts! My brother and I split duties on a paper route as kids, and I picked up some silver, etc back then. But it was after '64, so usually only 1 or 2 every so often, and only Washies/Roosies. Nothing bigger or older, unfortunately, nor Buff's or IHC's............ STILL was a nice way to supplement my fledgling coin collecting hobby from more than just pocket change! :)

• Options

@ricko said:
    That is great that you still have a coin from your paper route.... wish I did...
    I am happy to have those memories.... wish I had the coins too... ;) Cheers, RickO

Me too. I sold when I was 20, again at the silver rush of 2012 and last year. Past few years have been major up and down.. I'm happy I kept all the cents and nickels. I still have the books and some rolls.

I'm glad you folks appreciate it and the story, as much as I appreciate all of yours!!

I've got a few more from my paper route days. I'll have to pop them open see what's up. Will report back =)

(And omg.. stuffing ads on Sundays took longer than delivering them sometimes!)

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, one newspaper route story that slipped my mind. One widow on my route had a box of old coins. The subject must have come up, as she was aware of my interest (in coins, that is). She pulled out this box and let me go through it one time when I was out collecting. Those were probably the first Indian cents that I had ever seen. Well, at any rate, doesn't she find me some 30 years later, when I have a coin shop. She sells me that box's contents and we talk about the good old days. It was a neat experience !

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way nice

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example and cool that you still have it!

• Options

@thebeav said:
    Oh, one newspaper route story that slipped my mind. One widow on my route had a box of old coins. The subject must have come up, as she was aware of my interest (in coins, that is). She pulled out this box and let me go through it one time when I was out collecting. Those were probably the first Indian cents that I had ever seen. Well, at any rate, doesn't she find me some 30 years later, when I have a coin shop. She sells me that box's contents and we talk about the good old days. It was a neat experience !

^ That's awesome!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file