Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How are double denomination errors valued?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I'm not much of a modern or error collector, I've always found the double denomination errors particularly neat. While I'm sure other pairs exist, the common ones are Lincoln/Roosevelt 11-centers. I've been looking at them a bit and finding the prices to vary pretty significantly, and am trying to figure out what drives the price of an individual coin to help determine what a fair price to pay would be, and what, if anything, I'm leaving on the table or getting by paying a certain price.

For the purposes of this discussion, we can also exclude the pieces that seem wildly rarer, such as those with decades between the two coins. If I get one, I'd like to get one as a type collector--one example that is neat to look at and a good value (if you're getting a single Indian Cent, a 1907 will do just as well as an 1877, but be way cheaper).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 8:37PM

The common date eleven cent pieces use to be $1000 but had a large drop in the recent slump but have bounced and come back nicely.

One of my favorite error coins. I have handled many.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Market value determinations are similar to normal coins.

What is the Date of the coin(s)?
    Are Both Dates fully there, or partially, or only one?
    How much Detail from the original under strike still shows? (one of the most important factors)
    If on a copper planchet, is the coin full red, red/brown, or brown?
    Is there any damage on the coin (scratched because someone didn't understand what they had?

That's just a short list off the top of my head.

There is a 'market' if you collect off metals or double denominations, but there isn't
    an accurate 'Trends' for them, because of all the combinations an permutations -

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a beautiful penny struck on an already struck dime that I sold a few years ago. It not only showed both coin images and the date very boldly, but both portraits just happened to be perfectly aligned which made the coin look like a hologram and made it more desirable, and thus more valuable. I think the double portrait alignment probably added about 20% to the value.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

Absolutely Eye appeal is super important on these double denominations.

IMO Eye appeal can raise the price 50 to 100%.

• Options

Charmy - thanks for adding the 'alignment' factor also.

I've seen some very spectacular Double Denoms with the
    type of alignment that you mentioned - and yes, that would
    add 'about 20%', or thereabouts, to the value of it.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018 8:57AM

Double denominations are neat. They seem to come in many dates so I was wondering if anyone collects them as a series, by date-mintmark? Is there a census for double denominations?

• Options

I believe some collect them by date, Fred would probably know who ;)

I doubt there is a census, Fred would know, but in my head, I know which dates are more common than others as I track these coins.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I just got this back from grading. The eye appeal is awesome as you can see Lincoln and the date on the reverse of this nickel (6 cent piece)

Fantastic coin, but I will always begrudge the fact that it is a Zincoln. I fear for it's long term stability, but at least it was slabbed when new.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 10:07AM

That is why I also have one in copper ;)

• Options

Yes, there are collectors of these by Date or Type,
    but the vast majority of error collectors (I've found)
    collect by either have one of each possible double
    denomination (Cent on Silver Dime, Cent on Clad dime,
    example), but they will also buy a '2nd' coin if the eye
    appeal grabs them (like the Nickel on Cent just above).

No, there is no census, just like there are no Pop reports
    for the major Mechanical errors, just Pop's on Die Varieties.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a few of these posted here, never saw one at a coin show. They certainly are unique, and, I would suspect, probably 'assisted' errors.... ;) Maybe not.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite error, working on type set of each combination

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2018 8:01AM

@ricko said:
    I have seen a few of these posted here, never saw one at a coin show. They certainly are unique, and, I would suspect, probably 'assisted' errors.... ;) Maybe not.... Cheers, RickO

These are certainly NOT assisted!

They have been very clearly explained many, many, many, times here on this forum on how this type of error happens.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK... I must have missed that.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 31, 2018 9:56AM

Ricko, your default is almost always that major mint errors are made by nefarious mint employees. My guess is they represent way less than 1% of the true major mint errors out there.

Almost all major mint errors are very easily explained. Any huge production run in any business is going to have some mistakes.

Yes, of course, there are some errors that were made at the mint by bad mint employes for a profit. There are numerous examples from the San Franciso mint that had to be made as there is no other explanation.

I also believe that there where true mint errors made at the mint that should have been destroyed but got smuggled out. In both cases, someone would have to commit a felony.

• Options

ONLY ONE KNOWN 2 POPULAR FULL COMPLETE DATES of 1995, 2 LIBERTY , 2 IN GOD WE TRUST, VDB, P Mintmark, skull break and many more...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file