Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Having fun with some medals

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2018 5:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked up these Libertas medals in various metals raw over the past 3 years or so. Finally got around to getting them slabbed. I’m having a blast with this series.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a cool design. I would love to own one of the originals one day, but I feel that ship has sailed.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    Such a cool design. I would love to own one of the originals one day, but I feel that ship has sailed.

@DCW said:

They have been on a tear. I tried to buy one for awhile but was outbid on in every single auction. It was frustrating. I was finally able to buy a really nice one last year. It was a blessing that I had to wait. 64’s are now trading at over 50k in bronze

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting! There is another 'Libertas Americana' medal, an 18th-century piece--memorializing the Peace of Versailles--with a Betts number that escapes me, that I see every now and then. It's not horribly expensive, and might make an interesting addition to your collection.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2018 7:04PM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Interesting! There is another 'Libertas Americana' medal, an 18th-century piece--memorializing the Peace of Versailles--with a Betts number that escapes me, that I see every now and then. It's not horribly expensive, and might make an interesting addition to your collection.

Betts- 608

Indeed. They are part of the Libertas Medal Registry Set cardinal set up. They come in white metal and silver. The white metal medals have that cool anti- corrosive “plug” as well. They are on my want list.

mark

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

MJ,
    Check out JK's website--he has one!

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2018 6:38PM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    MJ,
    Check out JK's website--he has one!

I have seen it. Atlas also has one. I bought most of my raw ones from JK. One just sold at Kagin’s last auction as well

Thanks!

mark

Edited to add here are cardinals two medals

Peace of Versailles medal. "Communi Consensu"

(Tin )Libertas Americana/Communi Consensu"

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool medals Mark. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little niche collecting area!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice .... they are really special medals... and that is a great display. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I picked up these Libertas medals in various metals raw over the past 3 years or so. Finally got around to getting them slabbed. I’m having a blast with this series.

m

That's a great grouping! The Brass Medal is a stopper, as only 5 were struck to test the spacing of the dies before striking the Silver Medals.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 2:50PM

Thanks M

I bought the Brass medal raw from JK who had never seen one before. Thanks for the info on the mintage of 5. The edge is marked with the Paris Mint cornucopia, 1974, and an equally tiny "BP.FL," which means something I’m sure but I don’t know what.

Here is the TV of the brass piece.

The Bronze piece is from 1983 dies: the obverse exergue says 1783 3 Sept 1983 to mark the 200th anniversary of the Treaty of Versailles. According to JK it is a lot rarer than the 1976 FCI version, though I'm not sure anyone cares. This one actually came from the Dupre Archive. As you know the family that inherited all of Augustin Dupre's effects (descendants of his son's business partner) tried to keep the collection up with the various modern manifestations of his work. It's the only one like this from the Dupre group.

mark

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Thanks M

I bought the Brass medal raw from JK who had never seen one before. Thanks for the info on the mintage of 5. The edge is marked with the Paris Mint cornucopia, 1974, and an equally tiny "BP.FL," which means something I’m sure but I don’t know what.

Here is the TV of the brass piece.

The Bronze piece is from 1983 dies: the obverse exergue says 1783 3 Sept 1983 to mark the 200th anniversary of the Treaty of Versailles. According to JK it is a lot rarer than the 1976 FCI version, though I'm not sure anyone cares. This one actually came from the Dupre Archive. As you know the family that inherited all of Augustin Dupre's effects (descendants of his son's business partner) tried to keep the collection up with the various modern manifestations of his work. It's the only one like this from the Dupre group.

mark

Yeah....JK sniped me on that one, ordering it from Dave Wnuck like 30 seconds before me!

"BR.FL." is the Paris Mint's abbreviation for "Bronze, Florentine" AKA "Brass."

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to take a stab on what the reverse is depicting.

A lady protecting a naked midget from a big cat? He is also not tripod material like Mini-Me is.

• Options

Got out my set of three:

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are having WAAAAAAAY too much fun!
    :D

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I own Martin a lot. These side projects are the most fun. He has let me go to school on him. Like a Lannister I will repay him

m

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:

A lady protecting a naked midget from a big cat? He is also not tripod material like Mini-Me is.

I know you are being g facetious but-

The “cat” is England, the midget/ baby is the US and France is the “lady” defending the US

Mark

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    A lady protecting a naked midget from a big cat? He is also not tripod material like Mini-Me is

One of my favorite reverse depicting the Minerva fending off the British Lion and baby Hercules strangling 2 snakes (2 British armies we fought during the Revo War)
    What a keeper @Justcommeman

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:
    Got out my set of three:

I <3 them all!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file