Home Precious Metals
Options

Modern Coin Mart slipping?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered 20pc roll of SAEs last Thursday (eBay). Just got shipping notice today.
I've ordered from them before and it has never been more than a business day or two, after the order, to get the shipping notification.

For it to be a day shy of a week? Either they were selling what they didn't have (but were expecting in, and just not mentioning that), or their shipping department is overworked/gone downhill.

Not sure if others have noticed anything.....

(or, maybe it took them longer than normal to cherrypick rolls?)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

This is why I like APMEX. Always fast shipment. Get my items 3-4 days after I place my order.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

modern coin mart always takes a week to ship. bought from them once, will never buy from them again

• Options

Yeah, on ebay, I get shipping almost immediately (by next business day) with Apmex.

In this case, with the ebucks, MCM was really the choice to go to with the lowest price (after ebucks...not before...as most put it in bullion and there are no ebucks).

They didn't used to be this slow. I'll just avoid dealing with them unless the price is really that good. I "almost" needed these before I'll get them (couple for a gift) but should still make it in time (by a couple of days). I just hate cutting things that close.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only buy pandas from them , they seem to have the best prices on those. They send a lot of emails

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered two rolls of 2017 ASEs from them about 3 hours apart. One shipped the next day, one shipped yesterday, a week later.

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

I ordered a 2017 roll of ASEs last Thur too and only received the shipment notification yesterday.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

i havent had a problem with them as of yet. that was a few months ago though.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some times they are slow, as described.

Apmex was once a few days slow.

I wouldn't say they are slipping yet. The stories above are "normal" MCM. I wish I knew why some orders sit at MCM.

I do note they are responsive to inquiries as of several months ago. It didn't speed anything up, but the live body was reassuring.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back on 3/1 I placed 2 different orders with MCM on Ebay for 2018 silver eagles. First order shipped next business day, 2nd order didn't ship for almost a week. I inquired and they simply said sorry for the delay, your order has now shipped.

I love Apmex and always had lightning fast shipping but I purchased a $10 gold Indian from them this month that they didn't ship for over a week. Sometimes it happens but the product always arrives.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

I've found that most merchants, that also have their own web presence, ship much quicker when on an ebay purchase.
    I will admit that I believe this is the first time I have shopped with MCM in recent history (maybe only the 1st or 2nd time since they were bought out, so maybe there were changes since then).

All in all, I feel I will get my stuff, and that I will get it by when I "need" it, but I also feel that, for how they used to be when I ordered from them, this is slipping in customer service/shipping. If I hadn't gotten the ebucks, I would actually be upset. As it is, I just chalk it up to "not wanting to buy from again unless it is REALLY worth it"....)

They will not be on my shortlist (they were until now) to buy from.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lately, I have found that bullion direct and Provident are shipping the quickest. It tends to rotate. I use MCM, apmex and all the other major providers depending on price and product... I don't worry about ship time cuz I've always gotten it.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    Lately, I have found that bullion direct and Provident are shipping the quickest. It tends to rotate. I use MCM, apmex and all the other major providers depending on price and product... I don't worry about ship time cuz I've always gotten it.

I thought that bullion direct went belly up.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

just got pretty quick shipment from silvertowne on ebay

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops. Bullion Exchanges. More direct, less dead.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

I ordered 5 20 coin rolls from MCM on 3-22-18 (15% bucks) and received them 3-27-18. This was my 3rd order over the last three years and all three took 4-5 days from order time to receipt. This seems like a very reasonable time frame to me. Should I be expecting better?

• Options

No, I think what you experienced is very reasonable.
    For me, I ordered on the same day you did, 3/22/18 but didn't get the email saying "order shipped" until 3/28/18 @ 7:26pm and then their email with tracking number on 3/29/18.

Your experience is, imho, very good and reasonable. My experience is, particularly given you ordered same time and received them before mine was even shipped, unreasonable and not very good.

Hope you made those all separate orders in order to get the max ebucks.

@59Horsehide said:
    I ordered 5 20 coin rolls from MCM on 3-22-18 (15% bucks) and received them 3-27-18. This was my 3rd order over the last three years and all three took 4-5 days from order time to receipt. This seems like a very reasonable time frame to me. Should I be expecting better?

• Options

@Bochiman - I did not make 5 separate orders but ordered all under one (max of $100 in bucks). I am getting the feeling I could have made 5 separate one roll orders and got 15% on each roll? I was under the impression I could only use the 15% on a "one time" basis. How does this work? I may have just paid more tuition to learn the ropes. Thanks.

• Options

@59Horsehide said:
    @Bochiman - I did not make 5 separate orders but ordered all under one (max of $100 in bucks). I am getting the feeling I could have made 5 separate one roll orders and got 15% on each roll? I was under the impression I could only use the 15% on a "one time" basis. How does this work? I may have just paid more tuition to learn the ropes. Thanks.

The random coupons they give out are usually one time use but the bonus bucks offers can be used an unlimited amount of times during the promotions period, until you max out anyway ($100 per transaction, $500 max for the quarter). So hypothetically on the silver eagle rolls from MCM, say at the time were $400 each you could have purchased in 5 separate transactions and earned $60 each time with the 15% offer (5x$60 = $300 total) instead of one transaction of $2000 where you maxed out with $100 ebay bucks.

• Options

@blitzdude I did not know that. I will now pay better attention when they push the "bonus" bucks. Hopefully others will learn of this too. Appreciate the explanation and help.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@59Horsehide said:

The random coupons they give out are usually one time use but the bonus bucks offers can be used an unlimited amount of times during the promotions period, until you max out anyway ($100 per transaction, $500 max for the quarter). So hypothetically on the silver eagle rolls from MCM, say at the time were $400 each you could have purchased in 5 separate transactions and earned $60 each time with the 15% offer (5x$60 = $300 total) instead of one transaction of $2000 where you maxed out with $100 ebay bucks.

The one and only most recent coupon I got for 15% off wasn't any good for coins and a couple of other categories.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last one - 8% or 10% was available for 2 days, but could be used multiple times. It was available for coins or bullion coins listed in the coins but not bullion coin category.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@59Horsehide said:

Blitzdude already answered, but, from your post, I thought you did it as you did....1 purchase, that's why I asked.
    You could have purchased same amount and maxed out the $500. In the future you know now.

@OPA - those 8% and 10% weren't coupons, at least that I got. Those were straight up ebucks, which is why it was like that.
    Most of the coupons I have been getting exclude complete categories (coins/automotive) or are only for certain sellers (the recent 20% coupon, up to $50 max, included DavidLawrenceRareCoins as being eligible...even for coin category).

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisRx said:
    This is why I like APMEX. Always fast shipment. Get my items 3-4 days after I place my order.

In the past I have found Apmex to be the slow shipper.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@blitzdude said:

@59Horsehide said:

The one and only most recent coupon I got for 15% off wasn't any good for coins and a couple of other categories.

He was referring to the 15% bonus ebay buck offer on 3/22. This was good for 2 days and was bonus ebay bucks, good in any category except gift cards, bullion or real estate. Coins and paper money was fine, just so long as not bullion. The 15% of 1 time use coupon you are referring to did eliminate the entire coins category. Hard to keep track with so many offers. I just looked back through my email for the current quarter, looks like I received 8 separate bonus bucks offers ranging from 8-15%. and 3 coupons 15-20% off purchase price. That doesn't even count a $40 off coupon if I listed items for sale and 3 other offers to earn bucks off items I sold. Most offers I have ever received in a single quarter. Too bad I maxed both my accounts and was unable to use the final offers.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

every time I order from MCM on ebay, they ship within their promised ship/delivery time (right in the listing). So they have kept me a happy customer every time.