Home Sports Talk
Options

Lebron James ties Michael Jordan at 866 consecutive games scoring in double-figures.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

First and foremost, this is in no way an attempt to say who's better. It is actually meant as a tribute to both players and their ability to play at such a high level for such a long time without an injury, being the model of consistency. Think about it --- Jordan went 15 seasons and James 11 scoring 10 or more points/game!!! That's just hard for me to wrap my head around.

I also thought the Charlotte fans showed class and respect as they gave Lebron a standing ovation at the end of the game.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall LeBron having a really crappy game a couple of months ago. I better research this.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    I recall LeBron having a really crappy game a couple of months ago. I better research this.

He had a 10 point game and an 11 point game. Those were the two close ones to keep the streak alive

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Came close twice but did score in double digits. 11 points on 2-3 vs Houston and 10 points on 1-8 vs Minnesota.

• Options

Thx Mark!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hail to The King.

• Options

it's easier to consider what Lebron James does because we're witnessing it in real time, but when I watch him play it is so very reminiscent of Michael Jordan. I recall watching MJ during the mid-90's when the Cavs had some really good Teams but not quite good enough to get past the Bulls. and you can guess who it was that almost always put Chicago over the top.

MJ!!! :)

comparisons of the two men have been made for years. the similarity for me is the way they both act(ed) around the hoop. they smell(ed) points. I think Jordan was a better ball handler and James is the better passer, he seems to see things and hit the open man in ways that fascinate me. MJ seemed to be able to dribble his way through the smallest of holes.

that brings me to the biggest advantage I think they each have over everyone, the first step. the two guys are so quick that if a defender pause for a moment or makes the wrong body shift, well, he is toast.

did I mention defense??

• Options
    edited March 29, 2018 4:21AM

In addition James is bigger and stronger. MJ seemed to make more plays at crunch time

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 7:50AM

I watched Jordan,Bird,Magic & Lebron all in their prime and Lebron has been more comparable to Magic than Jordan,in my opinion. Lebron to me,is Magic Johnson's skill set in Karl Malone's body. I get that there is always going to be the MJ-LBJ debate but that was always media driven always looking for the next MJ and I'd say Kobe's game was more like jordan's than Lebron's is. This isn't a knock on Lebron,i definitely think he's a top 5 all-time player,probably top 3,and deserves his own recognition as one of the greatest players ever,i just don't see the comparison to Mike when i watch him play.

as to the double digit scoring record above,i'm surprised Kareem & Karl Malone weren't up there as well. They both played at a high level for a very long time.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also dont see many similarities in Jordan and James games. You are correct erik that kobe is the closest Jordan clone we have seen since Mike retired. Jordan seems the more aggressive offensive player while Lebron is as likely to pass as shoot. both great, just different styles.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who had more 50 point games? And who was that in Cleveland that "tried" to defend MJ. I think that is where MJ got several of his 50 point games.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Who had more 50 point games? And who was that in Cleveland that "tried" to defend MJ. I think that is where MJ got several of his 50 point games.

Craig Ehlo

• Options

LeBron's 2016 finals performance was legendary, coming back from 3-1 to take out the unbeatable Warriors.

MJ was the king until LJ joined the league.

• Options

I'll answer my own question. MJ had 31 50 point games and James has 11. MJ is 2nd to Wilt who had 118. Nobody had an answer for Wilt.

Here's a question.....Would Wilt just be another 7 footer in today's game? Personally I think he would still be good, but would not dominate like he did back then. Due to the fact that there have been so many big men in the game since Wilt played.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I'll answer my own question. MJ had 31 50 point games and James has 11. MJ is 2nd to Wilt who had 118. Nobody had an answer for Wilt.

Here's a question.....Would Wilt just be another 7 footer in today's game? Personally I think he would still be good, but would not dominate like he did back then. Due to the fact that there have been so many big men in the game since Wilt played.

Wilt would probably have Shaq-like stats had he played in a more recent era. For a large part of his career he was taking 25+ shots a game with one season where he took 39 shots a game which is just insane when you think about.

• Options

LeBron's 2016 finals performance was legendary, coming back from 3-1 to take out the unbeatable Warriors.

three things about that:
    1.) there was quite a bit of hype going into that Championship Series with the Warriors coming off of an absolutely phenomenal regular season and laying claim(rightfully so) to being the "Greatest Team of All Time" by setting the record for victories.
    2.) no one else had ever come back from being down 3-1 in the finals. to do it against that Warriors Team with two games in Oakland is impressive.
    3.) that upset had a lot to do with Kevin Durant going to Golden State.

• Options

I think that the best players of all eras of basketball would play at the very highest level against the best players of other eras.

There are differences in the size, speed, quickness and physical skill in the players as you go through the past 100 years of basketball (and football and other sports). Humans in general are bigger, faster, stronger and quicker now than they were in the pre WWII era.

The best players of today would have a size, speed, quickness advantage over pro basketball players from the 1940's on back. I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's and watched both ABA and NBA games during that time period. The best players back then were phenomenal.

To the extent that the best players from the 1950's forward would have less physical abilities than the best players of today, they would not simply toss in the towel in a game against the best players of today. They would adapt, figure out a way to be competitive and win some games.

• Options

Kevin, your logic is hard to dispute, you should be a Lawyer!! >:)

• Options

@keets said:
    1.) there was quite a bit of hype going into that Championship Series with the Warriors coming off of an absolutely phenomenal regular season and laying claim(rightfully so) to being the "Greatest Team of All Time" by setting the record for victories.

I would still rank the Bulls of the 90's the "Greatest Team of All Time".

And Jordan as the GOAT player.

• Options

I have mentioned this before and will do so again now.

In December, 1974 while on winter break during my freshman year in college I attended an ABA game in Denver between the ABA teams from Denver and Utah.

Playing for Denver was rookie David Thompson. He started the game and played most of the game. He was fantastic and would likely have been in the HOF if he had not become involved with taking drugs.

However, on the Utah team was 19 year old Moses Malone, who signed with the ABA team out of high school the prior summer. Moses was 6'11" and skinny as a rail. He did not start the game. His coach put him in with a few minutes left in the first half. He played most of the second half. So all together he played about 24 minutes, or one half of a game.

Moses put on a show. His stat line for his half a game was 35 points and 23 rebounds. He did everything on the court, both offensively and defensively. He rebounded on the defensive end and dribble the ball coast to coast. He passed, he blocked shots, he defended, he scored at will. No one could stop him. Watching that game made me a Moses Malone fan for life.

If Moses played in the NBA today he would be an All Star many times over and would be in the discussion as the league MVP.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    I have mentioned this before and will do so again now.

In December, 1974 while on winter break during my freshman year in college I attended an ABA game in Denver between the ABA teams from Denver and Utah.

Playing for Denver was rookie David Thompson. He started the game and played most of the game. He was fantastic and would likely have been in the HOF if he had not become involved with taking drugs.

However, on the Utah team was 19 year old Moses Malone, who signed with the ABA team out of high school the prior summer. Moses was 6'11" and skinny as a rail. He did not start the game. His coach put him in with a few minutes left in the first half. He played most of the second half. So all together he played about 24 minutes, or one half of a game.

Moses put on a show. His stat line for his half a game was 35 points and 23 rebounds. He did everything on the court, both offensively and defensively. He rebounded on the defensive end and dribble the ball coast to coast. He passed, he blocked shots, he defended, he scored at will. No one could stop him. Watching that game made me a Moses Malone fan for life.

If Moses played in the NBA today he would be an All Star many times over and would be in the discussion as the league MVP.

I remember both of these players. Thompson was great and had a 42" vertical leaf if I remember correctly......maybe higher. As you say he would have been great had it not been for drugs. Moses Malone was a great player.

• Options

Moses was a bad mofo,its too bad that Philly team in the mid-80's didn't stay together a little longer. That frontline of Barkley,Erving & Moses could have been comparable to Bird,Mchale & Parrish.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 2:11PM

Most of the time I’m very quick to jump to one side of a “Who was better” debate but in all honestly I’d really have to think long and hard as to which player in their prime is chose first between Jordan and Lebron. I know this thread is a tribute to both as Keets stated but I had to throw that in

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

50 points isnt any measuring stick for GOAT. 50 points is often a measuring stick for taking a lot of shots. James isn’t about that.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

50 points isnt any measuring stick for GOAT. 50 points is often a measuring stick for taking a lot of shots. James isn’t about that.

m

Jordan is also the points per game career leader of all time at 30+. He also lead the Bulls to 6 NBA Championships out of 8 years. And the would have won the 2 in the middle if he hadn't had the wild hair to go and play Baseball.

I'm not putting James down at all he is great. I just think due to all the stats of both......Jordan is the best.

• Options

and Dimeman just can't keep his head out in the fresh air. honestly, Jon what in the freakin' heck is wrong with you?? can't you leave your opinion on the doorstep for one day and acknowledge the greatness of two men?? can't you just see these guys as generational players for once without having to compare and try to be the guy who's right??

get a grip, am!!

• Options

and keets just can't keep from flying off the handle. What's the matter with you man. I have always agreed that James is great and MJ is a little better. The stats bear that out. Plus if you want to get down to it Jordan was a better person and didn't go around jumping teams trying to get on a Championship team. Jordan was the Bulls.

You're the one that needs to get a grip!! ;)

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 11:56AM

an interesting perspective on what this streak is and how incredible Jordan and James have been comes from a pre-game write up for tonight's game against the New Orleans Pelicans in Cleveland:

..........................The next closest active player to James is Houston's James Harden, with 257 consecutive games. He's 28.

According to ESPN's stats shop, as James reached 866, it was equal to the total number of consecutive double-digit point games for LaMarcus Aldridge, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Karl-Anthony Towns, Stephen Curry, Goran Dragic, Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, John Wall, Paul George, New Orleans' Anthony Davis, Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler, Kristaps Porzingis and Al Horford.......................

thinking about James Harden, if he averaged 70 double-digit games/season for the next seven years he would only have around 765 or so...........................and he would be 35 years old. to top these two players will take a young guy like Giannis.

• Options

I watched the 2nd half of last nights Cavs game and then some Jordan highlights and the greatness of both players is almost unapproachable by most others in the League, either then or now. the thing that really sticks out --- when Lebron does something we have a yardstick to measure it against. when Michael Jordan was doing what only he could do it was unique in that regard. what he did had never been done before and the indelible memory of it all remains almost 20 years after he retired.

• Options

They are both great and the best ever in there own ways. Doesn’t have to be an either or or

m

• Options

Lebron James has been playing very well lately, anyone wanting to watch tonight's game should be able to watch on TNT as they'll do a double-header.

strangely, there continues to be rumors of Lebron leaving the Cavs. those rumors have moved fro the LA Lakers to Philadelphia and right now the New York Knicks. the one thing the proponents of the rumor-mill fail to see is what is going on in Cleveland. part of Lebron's resurgence is the infusion of youth and future that came to Cleveland, mainly Larry Nance, Jr. , Jordan Clarkson and Rodney Hood. I also think that Lebron and others on the Team understand what has happened this season with the injuries, they have gotten closer as a Team and more than likely want a chance at an entire season with this new, young blood on board.

• Options

If he is not a Laker next year I will be shocked.

mark

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

If he is a Laker next year I will be shocked.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

I will sort of be shocked if he's anything but a Cavalier.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Start a thread when lebron takes the lead in rings...

• Options

Rings and Championships are won by a Team, not an individual.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2018 7:07AM

Rumor is Lebron wants to team-up with Kawhi Leonard somewhere,possibly on the Lakers or 76ers. LA is more likely than Philly. Seeing Lonzo get dealt to the Spurs then have Daddy to try to run his mouth in front of Greg Popovich would be hilarious.
    http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23204935

• Options

he has more imminent things to worry about, like why he isn't posting up and why "his" Team not only shot poooooooorly, but through up so many air-balls. it was embarrassing to lose that way at home.

there is work to be done.

• Options

The Cav's may not make it to the 2nd round. The Pacer's look like the better team to me.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

Rings are a terrible measure of greatness. Is Robert Horry better than Jordan? The rings say yes...

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

@keets said:

Try explaining that to the Patriot's fans.

• Options

@keets said:
    I will sort of be shocked if he's anything but a Cavalier.

I will not shocked by anything he decides.

• Options

@Time4aGansett said:

@keets said:

Try explaining that to the Patriot's fans.

Quarterback's get judged by how many rings they win. That is an NFL thing not just Patriots fans.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

Rings are a terrible measure of greatness. Is Robert Horry better than Jordan? The rings say yes...

Horry has more than 6 rings???!!!

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 6:41AM

Horry has more than 6 rings???!!!

Robert Horry has won seven Championship rings with three different Teams, so the evidence is indisputable, he is better than Michael Jordan if you apply that flawed logic.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2018 6:51AM

Did someone say rings?

to be fair,Lebron hasn't even made the list yet. Right now he ranks just behind Kurt Rambis & Will Perdue ;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_players_with_most_championships

• Options

comparing Bill Russell and Michael Jordan isn't fair, the former wins every time. his dominance over a longer time is indisputable, although I fully expect certain forum members to dispute it. they are entitled to their opinion.

back to our originally scheduled discussion...................................

• Options

Yup,everyone has their own rankings,my top three would be MJ,Russell & Lebron.
    What did you think about the game last night? I think Indy was a bit shell-shocked seeing Lebron & the Cavs come out like they did. It worked perfectly and put Indy's best player on the bench.

• Options

Does it really matter in any sport who is the best ever? Nobody will ever be right or wrong with their argument.
    It's sad when people have to find ways to talk down one's elite play so their guy becomes better. Whatever happened to just enjoying the dominance you view?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is no disputing that LeBron is a freak of nature. a gazelle built like a brick sh*thouse. over the years he has developed a reliable outside shot and he's virtually unguardable now. the stats, the accolades........all well deserved.

but let's not go crazy here.

one guy is 6-0 in finals appearances and the other is a Ray Allen 3-ball away from being 2-6. which, by the way, was the clutchest shot in the history of the NBA, but i'm not exactly impartial seeing as Ray Ray is my fav baller of all time. :sunglasses:

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Yup,everyone has their own rankings,my top three would be MJ,Russell & Lebron.
    What did you think about the game last night? I think Indy was a bit shell-shocked seeing Lebron & the Cavs come out like they did. It worked perfectly and put Indy's best player on the bench.

James had a very good game and Indy didn't play good at all...and still only lost by 3 points. They dug a hole in the 1st quarter that they couldn't quite get out of. I still think Indy can win the series, but will have to start out better than game 2.

My top three would be:

Jordan
    Bryant
    James

After these 3 there would be a bunch of great players like Magic, Bird, Russell, Wilt, and Kareem etc......