Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newps: GSA Morgan and toned Walker

Haven't purchased too much in recent months, but these are two of my favorite acquisitions.

Feel free to guess the grade on this toned 1946-S rattler:

What grade would you give this 1883-CC GSA Morgan? I tried to capture the PL surfaces, and I think I'm getting better at shooting through plastic. The reverse has tons of die polish lines that are enhanced by being prooflike, and when holding it in great lighting, gives almost a starburst feel:

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018 6:37PM

MS 65 on the Walker and MS 64 on the GSA.

Nice pickups!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Morgan looks 64 obverse 65 reverse to me, so hard to tell from pictures but PL is a possibility. Not going to guess on the Walking Liberty due to toning (not my cup of tea) but very nice none the less. Congrats

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those are hits on the cheek like I think they are, the 64. Nice coin!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 on both coins....are you sure those are die polish lines on the Morgan reverse?? Cannot ascertain from the pictures... Cheers, RickO

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the picture at this light angle makes any cheek marks appear more significant than they are. It may still be 64, but it's a nice 64 compared to the other graded GSAs I have.

@ricko I've looked hard with the loupe and these are most definitely aggressive die polish lines and not hairlines--they enhance the reflection, not diminish it as hairlines would. They are also raised. Looks like someone applied some elbow grease and brillo pad. However, the radiant sunburst effect is, in my opinion, an enhancement to the PL surface and reflection. This is definitely not a frosty PL.

While I bought the coin, I bought it as an unopened GSA from a trusted source, not unlike you, Ricko, did from Bryan Sonnier back in the day. I've purchased several unopened GSAs with provenance to him.

Glad folks like it, it was certainly a surprise!

As for the Walker, it's a 65. Nice luster under the toning, which my pics were unable to capture. No limiting marks. I would believe it's a strong CAC candidate.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RockyMtnProspector....Thanks for the response.... Sure wish we could still get unopened GSA's and at those prices..... Cheers, RickO

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

was going to say 65 on the walker, nice rattler!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan looks 65 PL and the Walker looks 66 to me, but may be a 65 in the rattler.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not be suprised to see them both in MS65 holders

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell much about the Walker, it looks like a MS65 from what I can tell, the Morgan is a MS64+ were I to guess...and heck, I guess I am! The light chatter on the cheek and in the prime focal area holds the Morgan back, but could go MS65 on a good day. Nice coins either way.
    Pete

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friend who works with one of the other TPGs thinks the Morgan has a shot 65PL having seen it in hand at the coin club meeting tonight. Recommends sending it in.

The Walker definitely look all of 65 in the rattler, and I'm probably going to send it in with my next CAC submission.

Thanks all for the kind comments--grades on plastic aside, the important thing is I love these coins as they are, and that's what really matters!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins RMP!!!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65 Walker. The Dollar probably goes MS 65 too.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file