Home Sports Talk
Options

How much change to the NFL can you take...

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

..heard a snippet on the radio about possibly eliminating the kick offs in a few years. Yeah I know that has bounced around for a while.

I find the touchbacks being moved up from the 20 to the 25 to be unsettling. Can't imaging football without the foot.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want the refs to let them play more, too many flags

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree a lot of the flags for illegal contact and pass interference are too easily thrown these days.

Most kickers kick into the end zone for a touchback anyway so the kickoff rule doesn't necessarily bother me through there are few things more exciting than a kickoff return for a TD.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    I agree a lot of the flags for illegal contact and pass interference are too easily thrown these days.

Most kickers kick into the end zone for a touchback anyway so the kickoff rule doesn't necessarily bother me through there are few things more exciting than a kickoff return for a TD.

The pro game could become like college overtime. Keep placing the ball at the 25 until someone loses.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

The pro game could become like college overtime. Keep placing the ball at the 25 until someone loses.

For overtime, you mean? Or are you just posting facetiously in Glicker mode?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I'm posting facetiously in Glicker mode. ;)

I can't image though, at the game opening or half or after a score having the ref march up to the 25 yard line and saying "play ball".

I think that that would only accelerate the already 20% decline in TV viewership.

• Options

Viewrship is down for all programming due to the internet and video streaming options. Once the dinosaurs like you and I pass on, TV in general will go the way of the CD.

The league generated a record 14 billion dollars in revenue last season, so no one is sweating it, either way.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018 5:33PM

@grote15 said:
    Viewrship is down for all programming due to the internet and video streaming options. Once the dinosaurs like you and I pass on, TV in general will go the way of the CD.

The league generated a record 14 billion dollars in revenue last season, so no one is sweating it, either way.

The NFL was down 12% in the regular season. Less so if you factor in that there were two fewer Sunday Night games last year and one fewer Monday Night Game.

It’s a bigger issue for TV in general — because TV has increasingly become the NFL. Last year, regular season NFL games and related content accounted for 66 of the 100 most popular shows on TV!!!!!

TV itself would die without the NFL

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I’m guessing 60 to 70% of kick offs result in touch backs yet it still remains the single most dangerous play in football. Mayhem. I like the kick off but eliminating it would bother me all that much.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

some of the biggest hits happen on the kickoff, the nfl is just trying to prevent lawsuits and problems later in life with degenerative brain disease-CTE

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a related story, the MLB rules committee next year is going to make pitchers throw the baseball to the batters at a maximum speed of 80 miles per hour, to make the game safer. Every pitch will be monitored with a speed gun, and the pitchers will be heavily fined for any pitch over 80 mph.

The MLB rules committee is also reportedly looking into making all pitchers throw underhand, as is done in softball, but that has not yet been decided as of this date.

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    some of the biggest hits happen on the kickoff, the nfl is just trying to prevent lawsuits and problems later in life with degenerative brain disease-CTE

I agree 100% with that. At some point though you no longer have a product that is palatable to the TV audience.

• Options

True. As American’s we do love our blood sports

mark

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just heard that a rule change in the NBA is being considered. The reason for the rule change is to promote inclusiveness, equality and all around warm, fuzzy feelings in the league.

The rule would allow for "designated free throw shooters" to be used in the game, at the request of a coach, for a maximum of 5 times during a game, plus an additonal 2 times per each overtime.

The "designated free throw shooter" can be ANYONE (100 years old, 5 years old, male, female, gender fluid, short, fat, slow, stupid, smart, poor, homeless, 1%er, ugly, beautiful, liberal, conservative, libertarian, any religion, any ethnic background, even bi-pidal non humans [simian, robots, etc.) as long as they have a free throw percentage that is (for 1,000 free throws attempted prior to the start of the season) 93% or higher.

When a "designated free throw shooter" is called upon by the coach to shoot a free throw, it will be treated like a technical foul. None of the other players can line up to rebound the ball. Regardless of whether the shot is made or not, the ball is taken out of bounds (after the "designated free thrower" has left the court so that he, she, it is not injured or even worse, embarrassed by being on the floor while play occurs).

Regardless of whether the "designated free thrower" makes the shot or not, he, she or it will receive a participation trophy and ribbon,.................................... because EVERYONE IS A WINNER simply because they participate. The "designated free throw shooter" on the team that wins the NBA title will be entitled to a full playoff share of $ and a Ring.

This new proposed rule will make the NBA more "inclusive" and less of an intimidating environment for those who are unable to make an NBA roster on merit.

:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Just heard that a rule change in the NBA is being considered. The reason for the rule change is to promote inclusiveness, equality and all around warm, fuzzy feelings in the league.

The rule would allow for "designated free throw shooters" to be used in the game, at the request of a coach, for a maximum of 5 times during a game, plus an additonal 2 times per each overtime.

The "designated free throw shooter" can be ANYONE (100 years old, 5 years old, male, female, gender fluid, short, fat, slow, stupid, smart, poor, homeless, 1%er, ugly, beautiful, liberal, conservative, libertarian, any religion, any ethnic background, even bi-pidal non humans [simian, robots, etc.) as long as they have a free throw percentage that is (for 1,000 free throws attempted prior to the start of the season) 93% or higher.

When a "designated free throw shooter" is called upon by the coach to shoot a free throw, it will be treated like a technical foul. None of the other players can line up to rebound the ball. Regardless of whether the shot is made or not, the ball is taken out of bounds (after the "designated free thrower" has left the court so that he, she, it is not injured or even worse, embarrassed by being on the floor while play occurs).

Regardless of whether the "designated free thrower" makes the shot or not, he, she or it will receive a participation trophy and ribbon,.................................... because EVERYONE IS A WINNER simply because they participate. The "designated free throw shooter" on the team that wins the NBA title will be entitled to a full playoff share of $ and a Ring.

This new proposed rule will make the NBA more "inclusive" and less of an intimidating environment for those who are unable to make an NBA roster on merit.

you are doing daylight savings wrong. You spring ahead an hour not 2 whole days

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to move the touchback back to the 20.....what's up with that. And put the extra point back where it was.

LEAVE THE GAME ALONE MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

You know I've honestly wondered about that even several years ago when there was just DVDs/Netflix/early days of YouTube. I mean why should we be at the mercy of whatever a TV channel "feels like" broadcasting and when if in most cases you can use the above options and watch most of your favorite shows whenever you like?

Also in my HS days (mid-late 90s) when CDs were very much were in their prime I was honestly curious as to what would be the next-gen music format (after all we had records, then 8-tracks, then cassettes, then CDs so something has to come next) and I envisioned that the music would come on tiny little cartridges. Well you use (micro) SD cards to hold your music and such on your iPod and such...do I at least get partial credit? :)

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

https://youtu.be/vlv6BrrxD_4

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@grote15 said:

I don't know, grote. Revamped Roseanne show brought in 18 million viewers. More brain damage there than in a season of the NFL.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you need to play football to get CTE and you don't need to work in a mine to have black lung either. I understand caring about health and safety but is that not what the big salary is for? I would like to see a roll back to about 1970 football.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

I think the NFL is looking into changing the spot fowl on pass interferences? I think it’s absurd for sometimes questionable pass interference calls to potentially put a team in a position to tie or win a game over it. I think 15 yards and automatic first down is good enough for pass interferences

• Options

typical NFL rules committee meeting:

Chairman opening statement: "Everything is fine with the NFL"

Unanimous consent: "Let's fix it"

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2018 11:17AM

@Kkathyl said:
    I don't think you need to play football to get CTE and you don't need to work in a mine to have black lung either. I understand caring about health and safety but is that not what the big salary is for? I would like to see a roll back to about 1970 football.

Indeed and I hear you but if you play professional football your odds increase immeasurably that you will end up walking funny the rest of your life or end up with a brain injury. Same goes if you work in a coal mine for black lung disease.

Players are starting to wise up on CTE as more information is available. Obviously it’s a concern as the NFL settled at 765 million dollars for a CTE lawsuit. Basically we are saying we are willing to pay you a lot of money to risk your life and future for our full entertainment so damn the safety issues.

I too would like things to be as they were but athletes are better trained, bigger, faster and stronger then in the past. That has changed the scope of the game. Until recently I got to watch a lot of college and pro games on the sidelines and have most of my life. Until you see this close up you have no idea how much the game has changed

mark

• Options

I understand the game has changed and of course there is always concern about the safety of players. But to say they have been unaware of the potential health issues is a stretch. Anyone seeing Ali in his years after boxing should have been aware of the problem. It's a risk......just like going around a racetrack at 200 MPH is a risk.

• Options

Lotta folks out there still smoke cigarettes, and frankly, that's one of the dumbest things you can do.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Lotta folks out there still smoke cigarettes, and frankly, that's one of the dumbest things you can do.

TOTALLY AGREE !!!

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 12:28PM

Bottom line nobody forces these guys to play football. They have an opportunity to play a game at a professional level and get paid handsomely for it, or they can get a real job like the rest of us. Pretty simple decision that certain adults get to make.

• Options

They shouldn't even be allowed to sue the NFL. That would be like smoker with lung cancer sueing the tabacco company.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@stevek said:

TOTALLY AGREE !!!

And cigarette smokers aren't getting paid to do it - they have to buy the cigarettes to give themselves lung cancer, emphysema, strokes, etc.

I understand the points about safety in the NFL, and don't disagree. Nobody is saying the players shouldn't wear helmets. But frankly it's tough shedding tears for today's athletes who are earning millions of dollars playing a game.

The information about cigarettes is out there and has been for a long time. The information about CTE is out there, and has been for a while now. The football athletes can now make an informed choice about what they should do.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    They shouldn't even be allowed to sue the NFL. That would be like smoker with lung cancer sueing the tabacco company.

I never read the details about the "settlement" on that, but i don't think that ever went to trial. I'm not sure if they ever technically sued the NFL or not. In any event, I think a jury would have a difficult time convicting the NFL of any wrongdoing.

The NFL likely settled for good publicity purposes, and goodwill for their current and future employees IE the football players.

• Options

If you don't know this, the top answer might surprise you. WTH...I'll give it away...you don't hear them complaining to Sunkist or Bumble Bee tuna.

The Most Dangerous Jobs in America:

https://www.ranker.com/list/the-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america/american-jobs

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 6:10PM

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I never read the details about the "settlement" on that, but i don't think that ever went to trial. I'm not sure if they ever technically sued the NFL or not. In any event, I think a jury would have a difficult time convicting the NFL of any wrongdoing.

The NFL likely settled for good publicity purposes, and goodwill for their current and future employees IE the football players.

The Supreme Court felt 1.0 billion should be the number. The NFL probably got off cheap.

“The player lawsuits accused the NFL of hiding what it knew about the link between concussions and chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the degenerative brain disease found in dozens of former players after their deaths. The deal avoids the need for a trial and means the NFL may never have to disclose what it knew and when about the risks and treatment of repeated.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-concussion-settlement-supreme-court-20161212-story.html

• Options

People DID sue the cigarette companies and won and cigarette packs come with warnings now. The NFL paid “A” price - not saying it was enough or not nor do I know the fine details but going forward people understand the dangers of football just like they do cigarettes. Adults make choices

• Options

And there are links with concussions causing major health problems but not a chance anyone can pinpoint when or what exactly caused a situation, there are people that have had multiple concussions and live a normal life. There are people that smoke for 75 years and live a normal life. Again it’s all about adults making choices, some people make choices to minimize risks others do not, it’s a crap shoot called LIFE

• Options

These lawsuits are TOTALLY wrong!!!!

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 3:11PM

Dimeman, I’m inclined to partially agree with you. Regarding the dangers of concussions in the NFL I think if the NFL did know the potential dangers of concussions and DID NOT inform players then they deserve to get sued, heck back in the 80’s I was always familiar with the. “ eh just run it off, you’ll be fine” thing and didn’t know a thing about it, now I do and if I can help it I try to avoid situations that might give me an injury. Now here is the flip side, the NFL is a BILLION dollar industry with expendable money and guys that played CAN claim injury and hope to get a piece of the pie. Anytime there are dollar signs involved fraudulent behavior is sure to be found, I promise you that there are fraudulent claims of injury from former players that are broke, the problem is trying to figure out which former players are legit. I also believe there is a huge amount of jealousy from old timers that played for peanuts and held off-season jobs and are very angry about these guys that get paid millions to be poor performers and back ups.

• Options

There may have been others before him, probably were, but Jim Otto was the first NFL player that i saw in the media who really came out and expressed the extreme pain and suffering he endured in his post NFL life. It was well publicized, at least ten years ago, possibly earlier. I'm not sure if CTE was addressed with Otto or not.

Just my opinion, I doubt if the NFL was fully aware of CTE before it became widely known. Certainly the NFL was aware of the physical side of it, the post NFL problems with player's pain and suffering...but should the NFL have to be responsible for that when the players were well aware of the risk?

Let's tell it like it is...football is one of the worst, perhaps the worst sport for lifetime injuries. However athletes can suffer injuries in all physical sports that affect them over a lifetime. Even golfers develop problems, and last time I heard that is a non-contact sport. Golfers develop tendinitis, back pain, muscle tears, etc. Should the PGA be responsible for that...should the PGA be sued for that?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Nobody is saying the players shouldn't wear helmets.

I will. Rugby is just as violent and you don't have the concussion issues. Helmets provide a false sense of safety and encourage violent hits with/to the head. Some food for thought: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ban-helmets-during-practice-to-make-football-safer/2016/04/22/f72f7d2c-0628-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html?utm_term=.2f58177ebfb1 I say ban them on gameday too.

• Options

Professional football players earn a nice living, yes, through I'd rather be healthy and broke than wealthy and brain damaged.

Another real threat is at the formative levels. As the dangers of playing tackle football become more evident, more and more parents are not going to allow their children to play football at a young age. I know many parents of younger children who will allow their kids to play anything but football.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

You guys need to educate yourselves. Both the cigarette companies AND the NFL knew there was proof of the damage being caused and lied about it. Cigarette companies were much worse.

Everyone should have known that these behaviors were dangerous, but when the powers that run the big companies lie about it they open themselves up to a lawsuit.

If the NFL would have just said "well what do you think is going to happen when big muscular guys smash their heads together, probably nothing good" they would have been off the hook. Instead they did their own study and then lied about the results.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Comes down to how much of a nanny state one wants to endorse. I am required to wear a seatbelt while driving as a guy zipping by on a motorcycle does not need to wear a helmet. I can no longer by unpasteurized orange juice or milk at the retail market, yet cigarettes and booze are fine.

I prefer old school football, but the juiced up larger and faster players quickly destroy themselves and each other...without some protection only no ready for primetime scrubs would remain at the end of the season.

My guess is that now would be a very good time to sell an NFL team.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

You guys need to educate yourselves. Both the cigarette companies AND the NFL knew there was proof of the damage being caused and lied about it. Cigarette companies were much worse.

Everyone should have known that these behaviors were dangerous, but when the powers that run the big companies lie about it they open themselves up to a lawsuit.

If the NFL would have just said "well what do you think is going to happen when big muscular guys smash their heads together, probably nothing good" they would have been off the hook. Instead they did their own study and then lied about the results.

Spot on and I also agree that the cigarette companies deserved to pay every bit of what they were penalized.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Just my opinion, I doubt if the NFL was fully aware of CTE before it became widely known. Certainly the NFL was aware of the physical side of it, the post NFL problems with player's pain and suffering...but should the NFL have to be responsible for that when the players were well aware of the risk?

There was a documentary about this a few years ago. Mike Webster of the Steelers was featured. The NFL had a study done that showed there was a problem with brain injuries, yet denied knowing about it. Somehow the study got leaked and the cat was out of the bag.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:
    Nobody is saying the players shouldn't wear helmets.

I will. Rugby is just as violent and you don't have the concussion issues. Helmets provide a false sense of safety and encourage violent hits with/to the head. Some food for thought: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ban-helmets-during-practice-to-make-football-safer/2016/04/22/f72f7d2c-0628-11e6-b283-e79d81c63c1b_story.html?utm_term=.2f58177ebfb1 I say ban them on gameday too.

I'll tell ya the worst is Australian Rules Football if you've ever watched it - no helmets, no pads, no nothing and they're banging into each other.

Of course most of them are descendants from convicts so it's expected they are a bit crazy. ;)

• Options

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Spot on and I also agree that the cigarette companies deserved to pay every bit of what they were penalized.

The cigarette companies were of course penalized. Did they deserve it? Frankly, one of the first lessons my parents taught me among other things such as not to play in traffic, was not to smoke, that it was bad for my health, and that was in the 1960's. So cigarettes being unhealthy, certainly was no industry secret.

The tobacco industry just got caught between a rock and a hard place with the massive legal defense costs and not wanting to go thru countless trials against old men breathing thru respirators.

Should the tobacco industry have released every little detail they had from the 1950's regarding the harmful effects of cigarettes? Well, that's what the plaintiff's trial lawyers said. But what's next...A burger chain getting sued because someone has a heart attack from eating fast food, when everyone knows that fast food is unhealthy?

• Options

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

The cigarette companies were of course penalized. Did they deserve it? Frankly, one of the first lessons my parents taught me among other things such as not to play in traffic, was not to smoke, that it was bad for my health, and that was in the 1960's. So cigarettes being unhealthy, certainly was no industry secret.

The tobacco industry just got caught between a rock and a hard place with the massive legal defense costs and not wanting to go thru countless trials against old men breathing thru respirators.

Should the tobacco industry have released every little detail they had from the 1950's regarding the harmful effects of cigarettes? Well, that's what the plaintiff's trial lawyers said. But what's next...A burger chain getting sued because someone has a heart attack from eating fast food, when everyone knows that fast food is unhealthy?

At one point, doctors recommended cigarette smoking to treat a variety of issues. You may not be old enough to remember that, but there was a massive campaign of deception engineered by the tobacco industry for decades before the truth came out.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

There was a documentary about this a few years ago. Mike Webster of the Steelers was featured. The NFL had a study done that showed there was a problem with brain injuries, yet denied knowing about it. Somehow the study got leaked and the cat was out of the bag.

Those documentaries are often skewed to one side. The bottom line is that the whole situation was a lose-lose for the NFL. So in my view, the NFL took the easiest path to settle it, eliminate costly legal expenses, and keep the goodwill of their league intact.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2018 5:46PM

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

At one point, doctors recommended cigarette smoking to treat a variety of issues. You may not be old enough to remember that, but there was a massive campaign of deception engineered by the tobacco industry for decades before the truth came out.

My father was quite overweight as a teenager in the 1940's. Doc handed him a carton of viceroy's and told him that it would help him lose weight. Late 1960's he heeded the Surgeon General quit the cigarettes and switched to chain smoking cigars.

Cancer ultimately got him.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Always struck me as interesting that doctors have a higher rate of smoking than the average adult population - it's true. And doctors certainly should know the dangers of smoking - LOL

Also strikes me as interesting that history repeats itself...the marijuana industry is putting out similar propaganda about cannabis being safe, even helpful...when virtually every reputable medical website out there clearly states otherwise.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

@stevek said:

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@DIMEMAN said:

My father was quite overweight as a teenager in the 1940's. Doc handed him a carton of viceroy's and told him that it would help him lose weight. Late 1960's he heeded the Surgeon General quit the cigarettes and switched to chain smoking cigars.

Cancer ultimately got him.

Very sorry to hear about what happened to your father.

I think it's like everything, the dangers of tobacco were known, the dangers of playing football were known...it's just that those who do it think the bad stuff isn't going to happen to them. I guess it's the eternal optimism of the human spirit.

Perhaps others figure they're going to live fast and hard, and since they're going to die one day anyway, might as well grab for all the gusto ya can and enjoy it. Always struck me as interesting that Patrick Swayze, the actor, dying from terminal cancer caused by smoking, and he knew that's what caused it, continued to smoke anyway. To each his own.

The good news is that coin and card collecting, to the best of my knowledge, results in no physical or mental health problems. :)