Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Certified gold coins, conservation?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2018 6:49AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've got a couple more PCGS certified $20 gold coins, both MS62, with surface issue.

https://i.imgur.com/pdBfflI.png https://i.imgur.com/zxP1JVq.png
https://i.imgur.com/kisGYR4.png https://i.imgur.com/XgmzqPv.png

Coins may jut be "dirty", should have been dipped in acetone before submission.

NGC has the $50 a coin option on these, conservation plus grading. PCGS does better work with their restoration with a higher cost; a guarantee submission would take too long. What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep them exactly the way they are. Why sink more money into them?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

PCGS's guarantee submissions are supposedly running a couple months, though sometimes they run 3 plus months. NGC has a quick turn around time but they would tend to pass on conservation if there is chance of a downgrade.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you sure PCGS would be a higher cost?

While I would agree that their form and price structure stated on it is pretty hard to figure out....

I just got a restoration back from PCGS for $30 (restoration and grading) + $10 handling. (The killer was $23 shipping(!))

That $30 is the minimum, with the actual cost being 2% of the coin value....or $30 minimum. (So, a coin would have to be worth in excess of $1500 to exceed $30....)

This was for a previously graded PCGS coin...

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options

https://www.pcgs.com/restoration#pricing

It looks like it is 2% plus; but it really is a guarantee issue that should be addressed in a timely manner. But the 3 months is just too long for me. I don't know why these take so long.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

These look nothing like the toning I like

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've been in similar situations. if i thought these had any chance of being 63, i would crack them myself and dip them in acetone.*

then, submit raw.

otherwise, they are not worth messing with below that grade. they are fine as is...with no more money spent on them.

use 100% pure acetone and rinse with room temperature distilled water. *pat dry with a cloth. protect skin, eyes, and lungs.

• Options

Any idea what the pros use on these? I have seen coins come out bright and sparkling from PCGS restoration.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave those coins 'as is'...That being said, if you are the type that will focus on those points every time you look at the coin, then either submit for restoration or - as I would recommend - sell and purchase coins you like... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 8:44AM

The spread from AU to MS62 is only $14. Just leave them as is. Being in the PCGS holder is all you need. If you're losing sleep over it then sell them....replace with some killer PCGS 62's that you can cherry pick. Nice one's are out there. If it were me, I'd roll them into either MS63 $20 Libs, MS64 Saints, or 1 oz Proof AGE's with papers. All of those are prettier, and only $40-$100 more and more likely to part of future promotions.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2018 11:41AM

Maybe I am getting too fussy in the exacting cac standards and increased grade analysis. I called Rarcoa that is only paying $1265 for even better date MS61 coins and incrementally more on MS62 coins. But auction records show much stronger valuations. If you can get better dates to pass the cac standard than they are definitely worth more.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not mess with those, you may see more after restoration then you do now. They look fine as is, but agree with @ricko on this one

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's around 99% of spot. I saw some dealers at Willimantic paying 99.7% for circ 10/20 Libs. I guess it depends on who your next customer is. Auction records aren't much help here because you're giving away a min consignment fee of 10% to the house. Better off selling them into the generic slabbed gold market where the spread is a much lower 2-5% depending on the dealer. If you consign generic gold to auction....(unless you're the "consigning" your own stuff)....you're taking a beating.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

I ran the two gold coins through cac which did the critical analysis. They said that both $20 gold pieces had pvc. It is really a shame that stuff like that which could be quickly remedied takes so long.

• Options
    oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

They are fine as they are.

• Options

I conserved them myself, dipping in Xylene then acetone. I shipped them to NGC, one of them upgraded. It makes you wonder why the original submitter did not dip in acetone before submission.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I conserved them myself, dipping in Xylene then acetone. I shipped them to NGC, one of them upgraded. It makes you wonder why the original submitter did not dip in acetone before submission.

At current price levels, you spent your money having fun with your coins. Bullion producers won't look at their 62/63 coins as an chance to "feed their head", just their wallet.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave them "as is' !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file