Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Guess the new BBCE find !

So Steve is not letting the cat out of the bag. But who says we can't have some fun in the mean time ??

Reed has mentioned that he recently came upon a "find" that is very impressive, and that he and Steve are thinking of a way to spread the good news.

So let's take a shot at It ourselves while those two bang heads together.

What did they find (in 5,000 words or less) ?

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sealed case of '79 OPC hockey.

Kevin

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@djr said:
    86/87F basketball factory sealed case

This. They were paying money just to see an 86/87 case, so maybe someone came out of the woodwork to sell their stash.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

1975 topps baseball rack case. I remember when they had one at $20k back some years ago.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

@djr said:
    86/87F basketball factory sealed case

Maybe, but the wording seems to focus on the marketing of the deal (multiple items, maybe a huge autograph collection) and I'm not sure you really need to focus on marketing a 86/87 Fleer case. Can't wait to find out!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2018 6:26PM

@Bosox1976 said:
    1975 topps baseball rack case. I remember when they had one at $20k back some years ago.

I'd like to go back in time to reprise that case break, lol. .still have a couple of them left.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

They found a bunch of unopened Topps Baseball packs from the 50s?? :smiley:

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

52 Topps high number case.
    James

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

Let's just say Jenny can move into that double-wide he always wanted.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full box of 1960 Topps BB.

Mike
  • Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2018 6:12PM

I throw a guess in; besides multiple 86/87 fleer bk cases; I say a full run of Topps baseball cases from the 70's.
    {oh wait, they just bought that off me; I wish; :'(:'(

or 9 cobbs w/cobb backs....

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

“Find” indicates that it is a new source so whatever it is I’m sure it will be impressive. I’ll guess late 60’s football.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Full box of 1960 Topps BB.

I couldn't resist the temptation to rip that as soon as I got my hands on it.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let it be 1962 Topps baseball. :)

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

57 Topps BKB unopened stash

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

They found a stash of original unopened Piedmont/Sweet Caporal cigarette packs, with the proper tax stamps on them!

Steve

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe an unopened box or two of 1933/1934 Goudey!

Steve

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2018 5:34AM

They found the warehouse that has been storing the 1952 topps wax cases that originally were thought to "sink at sea".

• Options

container of 1990 fleer baseball...canadian of course

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    Maybe a warehouse full of 1988 Donruss

I think that might be only 0.1% of the entire production run for that year! :D

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

They just posted it. 7 boxes of 86 Fleer Basketball

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 12:40PM

guess they had an extra $245K lying around :)

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Incredible find but I'm bothered that every pack has a price tag on it. If I were going to buy a box of that magnitude, I don't want one where each pack was handled, tagged and put back. That being said, anyone who's ever used an old school tag gun knows you kinda have to hit the item, and drag across to stick the tag.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Here's link to the story. What a story and kudos to BBCE for the find. Interesting to see what these boxes will go for.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/bbce-discovers-7-store-original-1986-87-fleer-basketball-boxes/

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet looking boxes. Interesting to see what the packs price out at in Cleveland.

KC

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Congrats on the find BBCE! All in all, I feel the 86-87 Fleer boxes from the Sherburne find at last year's National are more impressive and more valuable. Of course, I am biased as I was lucky enough to scoop up a box, along with the original Fleer factory case from that amazing find.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Congrats on the find BBCE! All in all, I feel the 86-87 Fleer boxes from the Sherburne find at last year's National are more impressive and more valuable. Of course, I am biased as I was lucky enough to scoop up a box, along with the original Fleer factory case from that amazing find.

No doubt the Sherburne, NY deal is the more valuable of the two deals. We bought these boxes at a discount because of the price stickers, but one cannot undersell the importance of the price stickers on these packs. While it may not matter to some, these are likely the only packs and boxes that can be traced back to the original owner, purchased in 1986. To me, that is pretty cool, because they haven't gone anywhere since.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options

@dmurphy3mvp said:
    No doubt the Sherburne, NY deal is the more valuable of the two deals. We bought these boxes at a discount because of the price stickers, but one cannot undersell the importance of the price stickers on these packs. While it may not matter to some, these are likely the only packs and boxes that can be traced back to the original owner, purchased in 1986. To me, that is pretty cool, because they haven't gone anywhere since.

I didn't think of it like that, but it does add more intrigue to the recent find. I am a sucker for a good story. We are all lucky to share in your discoveries and thank you so much for sharing.

Joe

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if one is to have the pack graded does PSA take into consideration the condition of the price sticker. In other words, does the presence of the price sticker hurt the overall grade of the pack?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

Joe, I'm sorry if you already shared pics of yours, but I didn't recall. Would you mind posting a few of the box and case box please?

• Options

@dmurphy3mvp said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

Reed, congrats on the pickup. What price are you going to be selling the boxes at? Will you sell any individual packs as well?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty incredible. i would imagine there are lots more of these type of finds out there waiting in basements and attics

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Wonder if one is to have the pack graded does PSA take into consideration the condition of the price sticker. In other words, does the presence of the price sticker hurt the overall grade of the pack?

According to Steve, the highest a pack would grade with ant sort of sticker on it is a PSA 7.

Reed Kasaoka

• Options

@Arsenal83 said:

@dmurphy3mvp said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

Reed, congrats on the pickup. What price are you going to be selling the boxes at? Will you sell any individual packs as well?

Steve hasn't decided on prices yet, or whether or not to break a box for packs, though I suspect this morning he will have some emails and voicemails to sort through. The one box we are saving for a break at the National - we will have all the details on the break several weeks before the show and start selling slots then.

Reed Kasaoka

• Options
    edited April 2, 2018 6:56AM

@Arsenal83 said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

Joe, I'm sorry if you already shared pics of yours, but I didn't recall. Would you mind posting a few of the box and case box please?

My pleasure. More than anything, I remember how hectic it was the day the National opened and I almost missed out on a box. Steve was amazing, really top notch individual.

Joe

• Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

@Arsenal83 said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

My pleasure. More than anything, I remember how hectic it was the day the National opened and I almost missed out on a box. Steve was amazing, really top notch individual.

You are the man, thank you!!! You even got one of the boxes with the Jordan on top. Well played sir.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew an ordinary looking plain brown box with some red lettering could look so good. ;)

• Options

I read the linked story but there was no explanation as to why someone bought these "as soon as they came out" and then decided to never open them, and didn't try to sell them in the height of the 90's market. Weird.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

According to Steve, the highest a pack would grade with ant sort of sticker on it is a PSA 7.

Did you try to peel a sticker off? Depending on the type of adhesive on the labels, sometimes they come right off. I've picked up a few 70s boxes that had sticker prices on them and was able to peel them off without damaging the wrapper. It's a lot of work though.

• Options

@gemint said:

@dmurphy3mvp said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Did you try to peel a sticker off? Depending on the type of adhesive on the labels, sometimes they come right off. I've picked up a few 70s boxes that had sticker prices on them and was able to peel them off without damaging the wrapper. It's a lot of work though.

They are stuck on pretty good. Naturally, Steve wanted to see for himself so he tried to peel one off. It took a lot of work and you can still see the residue, so we will leave them on. The story helps sell these, so why remove the one thing that identifies these packs with such a great story?

Reed Kasaoka

• Options

@Jimmy_Commonpants said:
    I read the linked story but there was no explanation as to why someone bought these "as soon as they came out" and then decided to never open them, and didn't try to sell them in the height of the 90's market. Weird.

It would take ten minutes to tell the complete story, and as much as Sports Collectors Daily loves us, I don't think we'd be given an unlimited amount of space.

The owner did open a couple of boxes to make sets as soon as he bought them; in fact he still has the sets he made.

As to why he didn't sell? He also bought 87/88 and 88/89 Fleer Basketball when they came out, and when life dictated he needed some cash for something, he sold those off first. He kept these for last as they became the most valuable, and because he didn't even need the money. Not currently being an active collector, it never dawned upon him to see what the going price was in today's market; as the article states, he called me trying to help a friend sell their stuff. Only after talking to him for 10-15 minutes, did he reveal he had these boxes, and wasn't even sure the demand would be so great because of the price stickers.

Reed Kasaoka

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2018 10:35AM

This makes the hobby interesting for sure.

Looking forward to the National and the box promotion.

Mike
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:
    They are stuck on pretty good. Naturally, Steve wanted to see for himself so he tried to peel one off. It took a lot of work and you can still see the residue, so we will leave them on. The story helps sell these, so why remove the one thing that identifies these packs with such a great story?

I wouldn't recommend altering these packs in any way, but Ronsonol Lighter Fuel in the plastic yellow bottle works great on price tags/residue. The fuel evaporates, but don't use too much. I would suggest practicing on some items around the house, or for some real fun, some expert level TJ Max or ROSS tags before trying on anything of value. :)

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for $0.40 per pack, as many as you want to sell me!

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

We haven't had a proper CU group break in some time. Curious who might be interested in a pack or two, depending on pricing?

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

The last time we broke an 86 Fleer box the packs cost about $450 each. BBCE has single packs on their site at about $1k each. Full boxes have been selling significantly higher than $36k.

Not likely that we can fill up a subscription for a box of thes packs. Better to buy direct from BBCE website imho if you really want an 86 Fleer pack.

We might have a shot at the 1972 baseball Series 5/6 box (only 24 packs at about $450-$500 each) but the star power (Rose, Ryan, Garvey, Carew) possible would require at least PSA 9 grades to make it pay to rip them. We did a break on one of these boxes too (at about 1/2 the current estimated cost per pack) and I must say the cards were very high quality. I managed to pull a Rose that graded out as an 8.5 and a Ryan with a corner issue that got a 7. A number of the commons from that rip came back as 9s and 10s, but given the source of these boxes it is not really surprising.

Dave
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Last time we did a '72 series 5/6 was in May of 2012 at $225 per pack. The same break had the '86 Fleer at $375 per pack. I think either would be good breaks. For me, the Fleer is attractive in that at least we would be breaking from a full box instead of buying random packs, so guaranteed chance at 3 to 4 Jordans. If the price is less because of the stickers on the packs, even better.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

@Arsenal83 said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

SpinFadeSplash23, that is one pretty box. I'm pretty impressed. If I only would have known back in 86 when I was picking these packs up for .50 cents. Damn!!!

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON