Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Must see video...Burglars enter San Antonio coin shop through roof, cut 5" thick safe and steal $50k

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2018 4:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is such a sad story and it seems to happen way too often.

Coin shop owner Larry Harmon(72) is devastated.

Heist nets burglars $50,000 in coins from 72-year-old SA man's store

A Leon Valley coin shop was robbed of $50,000-worth of coins after burglars pulled off an intricate heist to steal the loot.
Author: Priya Sridhar
Published: 5:40 PM CDT March 23, 2018
Updated: 6:56 PM CDT March 23, 2018

Burglars made a hole in the roof of a Leon Valley coin shop in the middle of the night, climbed into the store, disabled the alarm system, and then used a power tool to break through a five-inch thick safe made of steel and concrete, all to get away with $50,000 worth of rare coins and currency.

Larry Harmon, 72, owns the coin store and has been building his coin collection since he was 12 years old.

"I've done it all my life,” he said. “It's very interesting.”

The burglars spent almost four hours breaking into Harmon's safe. Surveillance cameras in the front of the store were able to capture video of the suspects checking the front door and looking around near the cash register.

"The items they did take all had value. They handled but left behind many items that had very little value or not so much value, so they primarily knew what they were looking for," Harmon said.

Almost two years ago, Harmon's store was broken into through a neighboring unit. In that event, the intruders made a hole in the bathroom wall but didn't take anything. Harmon suspects the burglars from the recent March 12 incident were the same as the ones who broke in a few years ago because they used the bathroom hole to escape.

Harmon says, more than the money, many of the stolen items had a special place in his heart.

"It's not just the value of the item, it's the fact that I've had them so long, and every time I look at them I enjoy them and it brings back a memory," he said.

The owners of Gabriel's Liquor store across the street from the Texas Coins and Precious Metals store on the 6800 block of Bandera road say that they were broken into in a very similar way on March 22 and $2500 worth of items were stolen.

Harmon is offering a $5000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest and conviction in this case. That is in addition to the Crime Stoppers reward of $5000. If you have any information regarding this case you can call Crime Stoppers at 210-224-STOP (7867).
© 2018 KENS

http://www.kens5.com/article/news/crime/heist-nets-burglars-50000-in-coins-from-72-year-old-sa-mans-store/273-531430883

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I've bought and sold from Larry multiple times back in my Texas days, Hope they catch the thieves. Sounds like an inside job or at least someone who was very familiar with his shop.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully law enforcement nails the thief/thieves soon and makes an example of whoever is responsible.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad. The guy works his whole life to build something ... and then some worthless punks with a few power tools decide it's theirs. Wow. How do these people sleep at night? They must be dead inside.

Hope they catch these losers.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see him off and on at the local shows, a very decent guy. Truly a terrible thing that happened and I'm suspecting that it was done by people that have been scoping out the shop/building for a bit. No one just jumps into drilling into a building and a safe on a whim.

Hope those bastards are caught too.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any insurance ?

• Options

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Any insurance ?

Nope.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it really that easy to bust into a safe?? Dang.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Is it really that easy to bust into a safe?? Dang.

I agree, but they were onsite for 4 hours.....that's a very long time for a burglary.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOW can a coin shop have a security service with a FOUR HOUR wait for dispatch?
    This smells funny.
    The technology reliable alarm companies have now is quite secure.

• Options

@topstuf said:
    This smells funny.

They were able to be onsite for 4 hours because they disabled the security system.

Don't ask me how you disable a security system.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    This smells funny.

In the article it says they disabled the alarm, makes me wonder if they somehow knew the proper code to do so.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a shame.... this was obviously a well planned heist... I am really surprised they did not disable the cameras and take the recording device. Well, crooks are mostly not very bright...That being said, they knew enough about the safe to know they could cut into it.... this is someone he knows and that knew that shop very well.... I have to believe they will be quickly apprehended....so much evidence... sure hope we see a positive outcome soon. Cheers, RickO

• Options

A good alarm will either be wireless or the phone box will be innocuously bugged, too.
    Had to know the code or it was a user installed alarm.

Then too, maybe this is a call to only stock dreck. >:)

• Options

Back in olden times when I opened my first shop, they installed an alarm that CONTINUALLY broadcast a signal to the monitoring system. It CHANGED the frequency at random times from 15 seconds to about 12 or so minutes. If the station got a mixed or missing signal in that time, here came the cops.

I ...REALLY.... felt safe with that one. Doubt it's still even done.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, it truly is the memories that you can't put a price tag on.

@Goldbully said:

@topstuf said:
    This smells funny.

They were able to be onsite for 4 hours because they disabled the security system.

Don't ask me how you disable a security system.

It depends. If it's an old phone line system you can use scotch locks and a scrap of twisted pair wire to bypass the unit completely. So long as a dial tone is active and it's not interrupted for more than a quick second you're good. It's how we are able to do repairs on them without the police showing up. Fire alarms will trip regardless. Usually why it's good to have both tied into the same unit if possible.

The best system would be an Internet connection with a thumb print scanner to disable. Otherwise if you crack the unit super fast and strip the wire and make no mistakes you should be fine in 3 seconds.

• Options

What was ...kinda.... funny was that when the police arrived for the roof entry, when I got on site they were pacing about in front of the store.
    Until...... I informed the head officer that there was a LOADED M1 carbine in the office.
    The cops got behind the walls BETWEEN the windows...... mucho quick. :o

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've known Larry for years and often see him at the local shows here in Texas. He's a really good guy and I'm so sorry to see this happen to him (or anyone for that matter). Looks like some Texas justice was needed here!

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold my first big variety cherrypick to Larry- he's a good guy. I'm sad this happened.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they catch them soon.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any Alarm system that is disabled during closed hours. Should send a signal or alarm message to the owner. It is that simple. I feel bad for this guys and think this is something I will need to consider sometime. But as of now I have no coins and have only guns at my residences ;)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Tunis said:
    Looks like they found the guys.....

Stolen goods, suspect found in Texas Coins break-in
    https://www.ksat.com/news/stolen-goods-suspect-found-in-texas-coins-break-in

Great news......thanks for your post.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 7:25PM

I'm assuming the circular cutter was a burglary tool that got left behind? If so, who's putting their fingerprints all over it?

It's hard to think straight when something like that happens but everyone please remember, if heaven forbid this happens to you, do not touch anything!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

I would sue that alarm company so fast!!!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

They should get a fair trial, then hang. It is Texas.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tool is what's called an angle grinder. About $100. With the proper blade, about $20, the bad guy could have been in the safe in less than an hour. With a better tool, I could do it in about 30 minutes. It's easy to cut a hole in the side of a safe.
    You have to have an alarm system that won't give the bad guys more than a few minutes.
    It's cool they caught these guys.

Larry

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's with that 3 piece proof set being touted at 450.00 in that story ?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very easy to cut through steel & concrete with the right tools. All a safe does is slow them down a bit. Layers of security are needed. I’m glad they caught these losers.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to see your getting your stuff back Larry.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news that they caught the thieves...and recovered most of the valuables.... So many cases do not end as good as this one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the heck. GET INSURANCE PEOPLE, it IS cheap and gives you peace of mind.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11673893#Comment_11673893

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

This exact M.O. happened about
    5 years ago to a dealer in L.A.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file