Home U.S. Coin Forum

The 1919-P DDO Mercury Dime

BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been over a year. Has the population of this Doubled Die increased? Will it be as rare as many predicted?

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answer to both questions is probably. I recall seeing another was found recently. IMO, most of these dimes became worn and were melted.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked at many 1919's... even had my daughter in NC go to coin shops (virtually the day of discovery) and buy all the 1919's they had (about a dozen coins)...no luck. So, while I am sure there are some still out there, there are not many. Cheers, RickO

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow I missed this post last month, but it's actually been 3 years (February '2015) since it came out.

We are still at 24 in the census.

I keep the 1st post in the original thread updated with census info, sales, etc. In the 1st year after the story broke, the first dozen or so popped up, year 2 brought us to about 19, and the 3rd year only added 5 more, bringing us up to the 24 we sit at now.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/937347/1919-mercury-dime-confirmed-ddo-discovery-piece-census-in-1st-post/p1

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The authenticated population is 24, but it's impossible to know how many were rejected for damage or other causes, and we have no way to determine total available.

The TPGs could offer to assemble a real census of 1919 DDO dimes, and that might help draw out a few more. It seems "do-able" given the publicity associated with most of the coins.

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The authenticated population is 24, but it's impossible to know how many were rejected for damage or other causes, and we have no way to determine total available.

The TPGs could offer to assemble a real census of 1919 DDO dimes, and that might help draw out a few more. It seems "do-able" given the publicity associated with most of the coins.

Ooh for sure, 24 is all that I am aware of. That is simply monitoring many coin message boards, PCGS/NGC Pop Reports, eBay/Great Collections/Heritage auctions, weekly google searches looking for mention of others, PMs from folks with leads of sales, etc etc. It's far from any official number, but it's the officially known number to me, who tries to keep up on them as best I can.

Of the 24 - there are currently 12 in PCGS Plastic (10 straight, 2 details), 9 in NGC plastic (8 straight, 1 NCS), and 3 raw that I am aware of. Any time a new one surfaces, I compare with my photo library of them and reach out to those who had raw ones to try to confirm, but I am fairly certain the 24 are all unique (the few cross-overs I've kept up with so far).

There are a few of them which are "Stage-B" as CONECA calls them with the various die cracks, so I keep hoping this is indicative of at least a fairly large usage of the die.

Only last month did the 4th ed of Mega Red begin to include it. The new CPG still hasn't come out with the dime yet, so those not on message boards or who missed the Coin World article still may be in the dark. Would help if the greysheet, coins mag, coin world, or even the normal redbook started carrying it as well.

Hopefully more will come to light as the CPG arrives - perhaps it's time for another magazine article asking for a search and report looking for more examples.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018 1:24PM

StrikeOutXXX -- Maybe you would consider making a table (with photos) of TPG specimens. That would be base population and could easily become an enumeration of ALL known specimens. (MPoaaibly, the TPGs would cooperate by telling you how many pieces were rejected for grading.)

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

Is it safe to say that there wouldn't be a graded example pre-discovery?

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    StrikeOutXXX -- Maybe you would consider making a table (will photos) of TPG specimens. That would be base population and could easily become an enumeration of ALL known specimens. (Maybe the TPGs would cooperate by telling you how many pieces were rejected for grading.)

I agree. Because of your high interest with the coin I would surmise that it would be a labor of love.

Pete

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be worth digging through the old junk silver?

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Would it be worth digging through the old junk silver?

Have you seen the prices these things command?!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Guess I'll start digging. Most were probably melted in 79 and 80.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:

You're probably correct about that. Non Collectors tossed everything silver into the pot back then.

The turn in was HUGE.

Pete

edited April 27, 2018 7:05PM

Searched the Mercs. Several 19's, but no ddo's. Did find a BU 41d with solid fsbs. Not great, but good enough to separate from the junk silver. Lesson learned, check your junk, some may be a little better than junk.

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@Smudge said:

You're probably correct about that. Non Collectors tossed everything silver into the pot back then.

The turn in was HUGE.

Pete

And now we don't know what is really rare. Mintage figures are almost meaningless. Same with early gold after 1933.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX .... Thanks for your work in keeping track of these... I have been searching for one since the beginning. Obviously, no luck so far.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file