Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned Standing Liberty Quarter--My Newest NEWP Satisfies Another Long-Term Want

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Standing Liberty Quarter is one of my favorite designs among US coinage, and it definitely has my favorite eagle. I've had two AU58s with nice color for many years now, but have had little luck finding an uncirculated example with a meaningful amount of color that's also within a price range I can consider reasonable. The colorful ones for moon money don't show up very often, and the ones in my realm seem to be yet tougher. In full disclosure, this isn't a want that I scour every source for every day, but I do keep my eyes open.

Last week I stumbled upon this piece, which was priced right and looked to have a lot of promise. She arrived today, and she's a keeper. This is a tough coin to photograph (particularly in a slab), as it lights much better in sections than as a whole, especially at angles that don't produce glare. While the reverse lustre is stronger, the obverse's is quite good, and the rainbow arc at the top of the obverse is bold when illuminated, which is what drew me to the coin. That the rest of the piece has attractive color just rounds it out as a nice, original piece. It's a PCGS MS64 with a pretty strong head for a non-FH.

I enjoyed the search to find this coins (though I did have to wade through a lot of junk). Fact is, to some degree it made me want another. I think the combination of my affinity for the design and the difficulty to locate one that I really like will probably lead me to keep looking. It's not a coin where I'd mind having duplicates.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive coin Jeremy!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice one!!

Jeff

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is a nice one!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually don't care for SL quarters - but that could change my mind!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin, but to me it looks like an AU-58. It may just be that the coin did not tone on the high points, but it looks like wear.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice toning!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is alwayst a great pleasure to end a long search with a coin that meets/exceeds expectations....Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice...A "Like" Here...

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

An AU-58 with a weak date. The toning can't make me like it ... and certainly not as an MS64.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the luster and originality on this one.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wow...that is a nice looking coin!!!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!
    However, that knee and shin are NOT just softly struck as there is loss of tone at least (which did not happen by magic). Be nice and call it cabinet friction, I'm in the attractive 58 camp.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2018 11:10AM

Jeremy, your description of the difficulty in photographing the coin is similar to what I find to be a striking issue with the series. I have seen many coins with Full Head detail and a weakly struck date, vice-versa and some coins with other areas weak while the head and date are struck nicely. I guess the problem was fixed somewhat when the Mint reworked the dies for the so-called Type III's in 1925(PCGS calls it Type 2b), but for some reason this design had strike problems.

my boss collects many odd things but really only one coin series, SLQ's. that means I get to help him look for coins and see what he ends up with. he has a 1917 T.2/NGC MS65 with very pretty gold tone and soft, creamy luster that I have admired for some time. perhaps one day I can pry it loose from him.

like you, I looked around for awhile to find the right coin for my Type Set.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep I like it a lot

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely. It might be hard to image but you did it!

• Options

it isn't unusual for a the highest points of a coin to be in contact with something which prevents that area from toning like the rest of the coin. in the case of an SLQ that would be Liberty's right knee and the leading edge of the Eagle's right wing.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a pcgs MS-64! Why the disagreement in the grade? Jeremy even mentioned it was a tad difficult to image and Jeremy is very good with a camera. Not a 58, not AU, but a beautiful MS-64 graded by pcgs.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I don't know how to say this otherwise : FTB - No YOU are wrong. I am quite familiar with strike and toning characteristics, and that there may be variable toning depending on local strike characteristics. This DOES NOT fit the bill of incomplete strike local toning variation. You can call it cabinet friction on top of a soft strike if you like, but Newsweek stands by its story.
    PS - as to your last comment - please tell me how toning in areas of loose contact will not tone.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2018 11:59AM

Coins don't tone and then circulate. Something in the way it was stored prevented it from toning.

Plenty of SLQ aren't 100% toned. I've never heard of that being a requisite for an MS grade.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

7Jaguars, it is rather common for higher relief medals, especially Bronze medals, to tone in the fashion we have explained. and it isn't uncommon for medals/coins stored old-time in an envelope to sit in a box or other manner for a very long time, years. the area resting against a flat surface won't tone the way the rest of the exposed surfaces. to be honest, it isn't a point worth arguing about but it might be a topic for discussion.

this is further evidence that we can't really grade by an online picture as well as we believe we can. the end all to this coin is to look at it in hand, rock it slightly and be assured that the untoned areas have full luster.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup Jeremy. I've also been looking for a nice one for my type set - so far I'm empty handed.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding eye appeal! Beautifully toned SLQs always jump out at me ... they are just hard to locate, w/o paying huge $$$.

Keeper!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

As soon as I saw the images the luster popped off at me and was really attractive. Additionally, the speckled toning beneath the auburn and rose surfaces adds a somewhat three-dimensional feel to the color. I like the eye appeal of this coin and tend to think it is quite warm.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

outstanding find, man! i'd buy that all day long as a 58 or a 64 (which is easy to say when it's not a '27-S, for example). reminds me of this one a little bit:

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin Jeremy.

Larry

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭

Nice SLQ! One of my favorites coins, especially when attractively toned like yours.
    Here’s mine:

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my type set coin. Jeremy, you may have taken this image about 11 years ago. It may have been you teaching Mark.

Larry

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2018 5:59AM

Ah, yes. IMHO the best of the classic designs. I love the SLQ. Beautiful toning, and great photography, Jeremy (as usual)!

I would have gone with the UNC designation, but I defer to folks here with more expertise with the coin.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful. Grade takes a back seat to appearance on a coin like that. Serious eye candy.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edward8vo said:

outstanding find, man! i'd buy that all day long as a 58 or a 64 (which is easy to say when it's not a '27-S, for example). reminds me of this one a little bit:

Awesome SLQ for sure.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin all. i do like the toning and some crustiness on them :)

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty coin

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Beautiful. Grade takes a back seat to appearance on a coin like that. Serious eye candy.

Great point!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

See my avitar, that kit came with lots of old time Manila coin holders and they would tone coins that way. That's a nice coin and congrats.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that coin. I see AU55 but want to say AU58. What a great coin.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@dpoole said:
    Ah, yes. IMHO the best of the classic designs. I love the SLQ. Beautiful toning, and great photography, Jeremy (as usual)!

I would have gone with the UNC designation, but I defer to folks here with more expertise with the coin.

I'd defer to PCGS (and my eye, and a few others who have seen it in hand) over the folks here ;)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice color! Any idea as to the source of the color (i.e. envelope, Wayte Raymond album, etc)?

• Options

@Connecticoin said:
    Nice color! Any idea as to the source of the color (i.e. envelope, Wayte Raymond album, etc)?

...magic!

• Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Congrats, Jeremy. Great looking coin for sure. I completed a set of the SLQs, sans 1916, a few years ago. They are circs, but still loved just the same. Cheers, Bob

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin and discussion!! Working on my own set now!

• Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2018 6:08AM

Very attractive toner to say the least!! Congratulations.
    As for the standing liberty quarter it is a great series. Fun to collect in lower grades too.
    Only significant variety is the 1918/7-s which can be had for a few grand in mid grades.
    And not littered with a lot of varieties like the buffalo nickel series.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@chiefbob said:
    Congrats, Jeremy. Great looking coin for sure. I completed a set of the SLQs, sans 1916, a few years ago. They are circs, but still loved just the same. Cheers, Bob

One thing I like about the series is that with good color, it looks great even with wear. I've had a 1917 T1 in VF/XF for over 20 years, and I still just love how it looks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file