Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An SAE that just keeps on toning!

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2018 4:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I've attached pics on my SAE. They are dated as to when I took these pics. This SAE was in storage with the rest of my coins for almost 2 years. It was in a manila envelope and I forgot about it until we unpacked last year. I really didn't know these would just keep going soo fast. Is there a good way to stop it from getting too dark? Of course, I guess I could take it out of my windowsill. :wink:

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW....good looking coin, l like it. I would just put it in a 2x2 cardboard Mylar coin flip and keep it out of the sun and humidity.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a Huge difference in just 9 months. Do you remember approximately when you first put it in the envelope?

Just for interests sakes, was it a coin sized manila envelope, or was it more of a mailing sized manila envelope? If the latter, did you have multiple coins in there?

• Options
    edited March 19, 2018 5:10PM

@SkyMan said:
    Wow, that's a Huge difference in just 9 months. Do you remember approximately when you first put it in the envelope?

Just for interests sakes, was it a coin sized manila envelope, or was it more of a mailing sized manila envelope? If the latter, did you have multiple coins in there?

Heck Sy, I think I had it in that mailing size envelope since I got it in 2013. It wasn't toned though when I packed up all my coins in Sept of 2015. I kept it in my coin cabinet. I remember just throwing it in a misc box of coins. It was just an extra one I had on hand. There were no other coins in the envelope. I unpacked everything July last year but didn't really find it until I took the pic of it last august after I had a chance to go thru stuff. I was really more concerned about my danscos but nothing happened to any of those coins in storage. I'm pretty sure the envelope is the culprit. :) It still sits in the envelope on my windowsill.
    And to add, our storage building was not climate controlled, and was in south, Tx (San Antonio area).

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't leave it in the manila envelope any longer. They SOMETIMES continue to tone even after making it into a PCGS slab.

• Options

I may replace the white one I have in my Dansco with this one.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

They DO tone easily and quickly. I've had some on display in the house that toned in under 6 months.
    Takes a few weeks/month or so, then they start toning.

As for retarding the toning process.....remove them from direct exposure to air and other elements (paper/wood product). I have successfully retarded the process on some of mine by placing in some self-holders. Similar in slab form to the old ANACS (small) holder.

I've found air, then paper product, to be the primary hits (I don't heat them up so not talking about heat of any sort). Remove those from the equation and things slow down.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

Taco Bell napkins work great as well.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

@TheRaven said:

It's funny that you mention these. I used to put taco bell napkins in between the pages of my danscos. 2 years and they never did a thing. I actually pulled them out after we unpacked last year. So they actually set between the pages for 3-4 yrs.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

The paper products from old mint sets work really great.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Black terminal tone. Would bcool

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@TheRaven said:

It's funny that you mention these. I used to put taco bell napkins in between the pages of my danscos. 2 years and they never did a thing. I actually pulled them out after we unpacked last year. So they actually set between the pages for 3-4 yrs.

I wrapped a silver eagle in a napkin for few years ago and put it on top of a DVD player and let it sit for a few years, checking it every so often. Toned up really nice.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tarnish can be quickly removed with boiling water, baking soda and aluminum foil.... Oh, you did not want to remove it?? Sorry..... :D:D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of, best bet is to put it in an Intercept sleeve.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file