Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Anniversary Giveaway – PCGS 2013-D Shield Lincoln Cent Sample Slab - WINNER NOTIFIED

tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2018 11:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum

To celebrate my 1st Anniversary on this forum on Wednesday March 21, 2018 I will be giving away a PCGS 2013-D Shield Lincoln Cent 5th Generation Sample Slab.

This is the PCGS slab that was used for all submissions after late February of 2014. It was introduced on January 10, 2014 at the Orlando FUN show PCGS Luncheon by President Don Willis. The reverse of the slab exhibits the high-tech DuPont PCGS hologram and logo which incorporated several security features that would make counterfeiting more difficult. The DuPont™ Izon® 3D security holographic technology is one of the major features of "the next generation of PCGS holders" according to Willis when it was announced. On the PCGS Museum of Coin Holders the slab is referred to as Generation 5.0 and was used from January 2104 through May of 2015. The slab has the Generation 5.0S label with the gold shield on the front but the Generation 5.0 label without the barcode on the back. Not sure if this is considered a separate type by sample collectors or not. The samples were handed out at the PCGS booth on the exhibit floor.

The coin looks way worse in hand than it does in the photos. There are about a half dozen carbon spots on the reverse and both sides exhibit unattractive (in my opinion) toning or corrosion around the perimeter. It didn’t look that way when I picked it up at the show in 2014. However, in this case, if you collect sample slabs you want the slab not necessarily the coin.

If you want to enter the drawing just post a comment to this thread and if you don’t mind tell us why you want the prize. I’ll use a true random number generator (www.random.org) to select the winner some time on March 24th or 25th and will private message you for shipping info.

Thanks for looking and thanks to fellow forum members from whom I’ve learned so much from over the past year.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance. This would go well with my PCGS 2010-D Sample Cent I have. :smile:

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a year here!!!!! Those carbon spots do look terrible... I just want to know what causes that. I've got some cents that have a similar problem.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have precious few sample slabs ( a couple early NGC and a couple PCGS from several years ago). This would help get me on my way.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your 1st Anniversary with the Collectors Universe forum!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the drawing.

I can use it in my collection of samples.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrat's on your first Anniversary!
    I love samples, this would be a first of this type for me.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your 1st year on the forum. I have never owned a sample slab of any type, would be a unique addition. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This would b very nice to have. Thanks for the opportunity. May you enjoy many more years here.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance. I usually give these penny samples away to Boy Scouts when I teach the Coin Collecting Merit Badge.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the first anniversary and hope you have many more!

The coin looks way worse in hand than it does in the photos. I like the honesty FYI!!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance to win.
    Hey I like "worse" coins LOL

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for this KOOL giveaway...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your anniversary and thank you for the opportunity to own a sample slab. I do not have any sample slabs, and since there are no coin shows or shops in my area, no opportunity to find one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Anniversary. I do not own one would be my reason for entering. Thanks for the chance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

happy anniversary. im in as well

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks . Please enter me. I want the prize so I can brag as a winner ! :D

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a year here.
    I have a small sample slab collection and don't have this one.
    Thanks for the chance.

• Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Congrats on 1 year.
    Thank you for the opportunity.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2018 9:46PM

Congrats on your first year buddy! I don’t ever sell stuff I win so...if I win...she can do life in the safehouse ;)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the year!

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great having you aboard, Tom.

You oughta sell this on Ebay! I've discovered that buyers are out there for these souvenir slabs.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sent the winner a message. Thanks to everyone who participated.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the opportunity

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just sitting here waiting for tommy’s PM.... B);)>:)

Seriously, congrats to the winner and thanks for the giveaway!

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

@tommy44

Thank you for your generous giveaway.
    I am looking forward to receiving it.
    Thanks again and keep postin' !

• Options

@tommy44
    The sample came today.
    Thank you again for a generous giveaway!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file