Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Commemorative Coins in 2019 for 100th Anniversary of the American Legion

WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2018 2:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Yes, another military commemorative coin set is coming!

In 2019, the United States Mint will produce and sell commemorative coins for the 100th anniversary of the American Legion military veteran's group.

The usual gold $5, silver dollar, and clad half-dollar with various finishes.

Coin News Details:
http://www.coinnews.net/2017/10/17/2019-american-legion-commemorative-coins

American Legion Armistice Day token 1938

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure this will be another dud from the mint.
    I belong to the American Legion and I won't be buying any.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most powerful driving force in the Federal Government these days is inertia.

Despite declining sales and growing collector disenchantment, the Mint (or the guiding activity of Congress) continues the steady drum-beat of poorly-conceived coin issues.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another zzz military themed coin program.. we’ve got too many!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A founder of the American Legion was A. Piatt Andrew, former Director of the Mint, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, organizer of the American Field Ambulance Service, and later member of Congress from Massachusetts.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Twobitcollector said:
    I'm sure this will be another dud from the mint.
    I belong to the American Legion and I won't be buying any.

I am depressed now. :(:(:(:(:(

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Legion member, I will be interested to see what they offer..... hope it is worthwhile... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low sales and they still cover expenses

They've had the Girl Scouts as lone canary.

The rest lived!

The committees may not like a set of designs but the mint won't send a memo to Congress nor examine their art herd.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2018 5:24PM

I'm a Legion member too and will buy one for me. Will go nice with the military challenge coins I'll pass down to the kids someday. My commander told me if the clad ones are cheap enough he'd like to get a few hundred to replace the boring coffee cups or drinking glasses we get each year at the Christmas party/Dues party :)

I actually think these might do pretty good. My Legion post is smallish, maybe ~500 total members, perhaps 300 semi-active. Most are in their 60's/70's - Me pushing 50 is one of the "youngins". But... since this won't be service-specific (Army/Navy, etc) and simply Legion - I can see a lot of members being interested. Even if the clad ones are sub-$20 and the silver ones about 2x that (secondary market maybe), I could easily see 1/2 our members buying one of these. Most of our members drop a few hundred playing tickets or drinking a week (or daily for some) and wouldn't hesitate to buy the clad/silver ones - probably a handful would go for the gold too. Being the "Post Coin Dealer" and knowing how many are also interested in Numismatics - If I could buy a bunch wholesale, and setup a display in the post, I think they would do well.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

My preferences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file