Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Our own Dan Carr in the news....9News Denver, CO: "Loveland man mints coins for USS Colorado"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 19, 2018 1:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Kudos to Dan.

Daniel Carr was asked to create two special coins for the commission of the Navy's latest attack submarine, the USS Colorado.
Author: Nelson Garcia
Published: 9:34 PM MDT March 17, 2018
Updated: 10:11 AM MDT March 18, 2018

Making things memorable is the business of Daniel Carr at his workshop called Moonlight Mint.

"It's an honor to be able to do these," Carr said.

Carr was asked to create two special coins for the commission of the Navy's latest attack submarine, the USS Colorado. He created coins for the public to buy to raise funds for the creation of a second coin just for the crew.

"The crew members get a coin called a Plank Owner which is a traditional Navy term which means if you're the first crew of a ship, you sort of own the planks on the deck of the ship," Carr said. "The military has a long tradition of what they call 'challenge coins'."

Carr created an image using a digital sculpting program that he wrote himself and a coin press that at one time was used in the Denver Mint.

"I wanted to do something a little bit unusual so I decided to sort of show an underwater view, kind of looking up at the submarine with part of the submarine under water and part of the submarine above the water," Carr said.

In years past, Carr has designed the state quarters for New York and Rhode Island.

"Any artist who creates a work of art that's appreciated and recorded in history is a goal of a lot of artists to be able to do that," Carr said.

He is a self-described military historian and World War II buff. Before he was an artist, he was a scientist. And, now, his hobby has become his career.

"I have a degree in mechanical engineering," Carr said. "I like doing artwork and collecting coins and I like the history and whatnot associated with them. You put the three together and the perfect thing is having a mint."

See video here...............

http://www.9news.com/article/news/loveland-man-mints-coins-for-uss-colorado/73-529560151

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are pretty cool!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great... Congratulations Dan.... I will watch your site for the sub challenge coin... will look great in my collection of challenge coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go, Dan!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2018 8:38AM

Great design for a great cause!

I love the "Patriot" and "Plank Owner" designations. It allows us all to help out.

For those that want to support our service men and women, please go to this page:

http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-4.aspx

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great interview. Very cool. Congratulations. I couldn't really see the detail on the coins very well from the video. Is there a link somewhere for us old guys that can't keep up? :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm in for one. A good cause top be sure.

The USS Colorado is a first of sorts: the thingie that used to be called a periscope (now it is called something else) is controlled for the first time with a Game Boy-style video game control. Heard this on the news.

If that isn't a sign of the changing generations I don't know what is!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

The USS Colorado is a first of sorts: the thingie that used to be called a periscope (now it is called something else) is controlled for the first time with a Game Boy-style video game control. Heard this on the news.

Does this make it more susceptible to an EMP?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@JBK said:

Does this make it more susceptible to an EMP?

Good question. Even without an EMP I guess they also need to stick up on batteries.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Dan! What a history to be part of......BRAVO

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good on you, Dan! I will definitely be a buyer!

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The day he walked in my shop last year around the holiday season was one of the best season's greetings ever.
    Surprised me :open_mouth:

• Options

Dan, what are the odd rectangular "bumps" on the hull aft of the forward diving vane? Part of the cradle used during construction?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    Dan, what are the odd rectangular "bumps" on the hull aft of the forward diving vane? Part of the cradle used during construction?

Those are parts of the sonar array. They are almost flush with the rest of the hull.

• Options

Dan, while you are answering questions, what is the purpose of the electronic panel?

• Options
    edited March 19, 2018 5:16PM

@Goldbully said:
    Dan, while you are answering questions, what is the purpose of the electronic panel?

That is the main control panel. It shows the status of all systems (green LED = ok, red LED = fault or off).
    It is also for starting and stopping the motor, setting the motor direction, controlling multi-strike mode, and it has displays which show the number of strikes since the last reset.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Goldbully said:

That is the main control panel. It shows the status of all systems (green LED = ok, red LED = fault or off).
    It is also for starting and stopping the motor, setting the motor direction, controlling multi-strike mode, and it has displays which show the number of strikes since the last reset.

Very interesting. Was the control panel manufactured with the original Grabener press in 1986?

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad to see you take safety serious by wearing your safety glasses. Good job sir.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

Very interesting. Was the control panel manufactured with the original Grabener press in 1986?

Yes.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    I am glad to see you take safety serious by wearing your safety glasses. Good job sir.

Don't you remember the movie "A Christmas Coin Story" where Ralphie wanted a Graebner Coin Press for Christmas and Santa Claus said "You'll put your eye out, kid!"

:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file